Is it possible to "save" this course?

Is it possible to "save" this course?

by Erlyn Baack -
Number of replies: 9

I'm fourteen weeks into a sixteen week course on a hosted server that had hardware problems, and the course was transferred to another server.  My course doesn't work as well as before; it has that "revolving door login problem" that was discussed in another topic.  Through the control panel, I can see that MySQL has some extraneous errors that did not exist before.   My question is how to go about a fix.  I could delete all the information in MySQL/PHP and then recreate the database and username the way it was before.

Another possible solution I tried that didn't work was to transfer the DATA folder over to another site with the same host, but Moodle doesn't recognize the data in the new site.

The other alternative would be to continue with the "revolving door login problem" until the course is over, but sad  ; that's not a nice solution!  It's terrible!

Obviously this is testament to go with a hosting plan through moodle.com, especially with a school or professional teaching situation, but this a free course, and as it is, it worked great for fourteen weeks, and now I'm stuck.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Erlyn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erlyn Baack

Re: Is it possible to "save" this course?

by Ger Tielemans -

Restarting from a backup after a server crash we had that kind of problems, until we went into phpmyadmin (installed from Martin's Moodle.org, fits nicely in Moodle admin) and gave the order to repair the tables. (Select all tables and then choose repair in the dropdownbox.)

Hope it solves your problems also.

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Huib van Wees -
Or when you have shell access:

mysqlcheck -r
or "mysqlcheck -r -A" for all databases.

Regards,

Huib

In reply to Huib van Wees

by Erlyn Baack -
OK, thanks a lot for both your responses. 

Ger, I thought I saw a "check database" and a "repair database" command in the MySQL section of the control panel.  Huib, I don't know if I have shell access big grin , but on Monday, I'm talking to a teacher who speaks the language.  I'll relay both your suggestions.  Thanks again!

Erlyn
In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Ger Tielemans -

this...

Attachment stscc103.png

by Erlyn Baack -
Hi Ger,

I found this screen, selected ALL, and repaired the tables, and apparently, everything worked because after the repair, all the tables were listed across the top in green and all tables also showed OK.  The "revolving door login problem" continues, however. 

I think this server crash caused some extraneous material in the MySQL folder that was not there before.  Here's a screenshot.  Of that extraneous material, it appears there are three options:  (1) delete it, (2) check it, or (3) repair it.  Probably I couldn't get into trouble by checking it and repairing it, right?

Thanks again for that first tip!

Erlyn
Attachment sql.gif
In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Ger Tielemans -
Above my knowledge, wait for help from database experts in Moodle, never delete I think..

by Erlyn Baack -

Ok, thanks again.  In my screenshot, near the top where it says line 42 and Delete, to the right of that there are two options.  The first is checkdb.  The second is repairdb.  I tried checkdb and got a website host error:  "Unable to find the file; you may want to report this to your web host."  I did that.  I also tried repairdb and got the same error there too.

I wonder what would happen if I deleted everything in the MySQL folder, all the extraneous material, everything, and then set up a new database and new user again.  Would Moodle recognize the new database and user upon entering the class again, or is that strictly forbidden?  big grin  Anybody?

Thanks a lot!  At least we made it to week 16 of 16! 

In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Huib van Wees -
Ask you ISP / webhoster to dump the mysql datbase to a file (with the tool mysqldump).

Then drop all tables in the database or delete the entire database. After that recreate the database (if deleted) and import the previously dumped database file back to the database again.
If the database is realy damaged (so the dumpfile has also corrupted data), this make no sense. Otherwise this might help you to re-create your database with a "clean" one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Huib
In reply to Huib van Wees

by Erlyn Baack -

Ok, thanks a lot Huib.  I'll definitely pass this on to my web host!  Now, from what both you and Ger have indicated, I'll wait!

Thanks again to both of you!

Erlyn