html in middle column...Use a block?

html in middle column...Use a block?

by Rich Rath -
Number of replies: 6
Hi, I want some html to appear in the middle column of the front page...is there a way to add blocks to the middle column? As far as I can tell, I can only add them to the right hand column. Barring that is there another way to put html of my choosing in the middle column of the front page?

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rich Rath

Re: html in middle column...Use a block?

by J B -
If I understand you correctly, you can use a Label resource.

Turn editing on > Add a resource > Insert a label. This brings up the html editor, if you want to edit the code directly you can edit the HTML source by hitting the "Toggle HTML" source button on the right of the lower button bar( <>)
In reply to Rich Rath

by Dave Kichler -
You can also add HTML directly into the topic section (large middle block on the Front Page) without having to create a Label resource. To enable the topic section, navigate to Admin->FrontPage->Front Page Settings. Theres a topic section check box there.
In reply to Dave Kichler

by Sam Kamin -

The information was very helpful, thank you!

What about if you want certain text to show when you come to the page (before logging in), and then after logging in, you want the text to be gone or maybe have different text.

I hope I made sense, I certainly would appreciate feedback.

Thanks, Sam

In reply to Sam Kamin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
One thing you can do is make a side block (html block) visible only to logged in users not guests and you can also - but it is more complex - use the "groupings" feature to make a label in the middle visible to logged in users not guests.Off the top of my head I imagine it should be possible to do the opposite as well- make a block visible only to guests and not logged in users though I haven't tried. The first way - with a block - is quite easy - have a look at the two sections and videos here
The second way involving grouping would be more complex as you'd have to set up grouping on the front page, which can be done but not as obviously as in course pages. However, it is worth doing a search as I am sure someone before asked for the same thing -for a page to look different to logged in users from non-logged in users.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sam Kamin -

OK, thanks Mary.  Actually, after your post, I tried it and got it to work.  I used the label resource in the Summary of Site area.  I created two labels, both hidden.  The one I wanted to show up when just coming to the site and changed the permissions to override for Guests - so when they log in, then that text goes away.  The second label appears after logging in, but does not show up at first.

This seems to work fairly well, so thank you very much!

Sam