n00b question about instances

n00b question about instances

by Jacek Niewęgłows -
Number of replies: 3
Hi smile

I want to make my own module. I've read developer manual, but I still don't know what "INSTANCES" are. Could somebody tell me .... with his own words, what's that ?

Thanks in advance
Jacek Niewęgłowski
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacek Niewęgłows

Re: n00b question about instances

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sure.  Each forum in a course is an instance of the forum module.  Each glossary you set up is an instance of the glossary module.  And so on.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: n00b question about instances

by Daryl Hawes -
Martin,
I understood this much about an instance. However, I'm having trouble mapping an instance to simplog. As I have ported it Simplog currently allows one blog per member, regardless of their member type (teacher, admin, student). I want to take advantage of instances to allow a teacher to basically add a new blog category. Students enrolled in that course will see that instance as a new category they can post to. Instructors can encourage their students to add blog entries in that category. Viewing that blog instance will show all blog entries from all enrolled students that match that category. This way a single course can have multiple blog instances, each with its own unique category association.
At least this is the way I envision course integration working. For the moment things are working fine sans "instances".