Directory resources

Directory resources

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's just a baby feature yet, but there is a new resource type called "Directory" ...

It's very simple, you choose a directory from your files area, and all the files inside it are made available.  Here is an example.

There's a million features that could be added, but it's useful now just as a quick way to make a bunch of files available within a course.  Some of the courses I've seen with hundreds of individual resources... shudder.  wink

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Directory resources

by Art Lader -
Fantastic! You have just made my life much, much easier.

Thanks,
Art

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

his is realy what we were looking for, but didn't know we searched for it smile

Our language teachers create loads of files for a drill and practiceprogram, called Teach 2000. The files are offered to the students for download. Until now they make for every file a resource, but the course becomes rather full and it is a lot of work. Now: one folder, one resource, all files. Great! cool

Does it works on 1.2.1 ?blozend

by Charlie Reisinger -
Martin-

This will be a great feature for those high school courses that group a large number of files based on unit of study. It is simple, user-centered features like this that make Moodle truly world-class.

Thanks!

by Herbert Keijers -
Looks like a small feature, but oh so powerfull !
I have two remarks (requests in fact smile). In the (near) future, would you make it possible to :
  1. Strip down the extension because the icon tells the type of file
  2. Make it possible to have subdirs viewable within a directory resource ?
This feature really helps to structure courses !
Thanks Martin.

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Hi Martin,just tested the new directroy feature and it sound very interesting to me, especially for the course you mentioned with huge listing of resources. 

I think the Directory resource could be a very usefull way to create a sort of "sub-resources" a student can navigate much like a web page resource. Following a "wish list" for your and community comments:

1. ability to add a optional title to the file name: in this way there are two possibilities, use the file name or add a more articulated title. If the title is present, it will be presented in place of file name.
  2. ability to hide/show subfolders: for example a bunch of HTML files, structured with subfolders such as /images, /swf, /video, etc, could be uploaded but only the file needed for students will be visible.
  3. option to see the files in popup or framed: it is like the current course back/forward  moudule navigation interface. I think at two possibilities: a) use the current course back/forward module navigation interface and, when in a Directory resource module, automatically switch to sub-navigation and the back/forward navigation buttons will scroll thru the Directory modules files. May be it is a bit tricky to do, but keep navigation interface consistent. b) use two more sub-navigation back/forward buttons added in the Directory resource page, like the solution adopted for SCORM module for navigating across SCOs. Easier, I think.
  4. if the choosen file view is "framed", ability to navigate trough files using an interface like the one currently used to navigate trough resources.

by Sean Keogh -
> Some of the courses I've seen with hundreds of individual resources... shudder

No names, no pack drill, eh?  wink

Thanks Martin, I'll have a play when I get the chance.

Sean Beardie

by Peter Sereinigg -

Hi Martin,

Your "Baby" only shows "real" Files and Directories, is there a possibility to show Symbolic Links too?

Thanks

Peter

by Jonny McCullagh -
I can't seem to get into this link to test it out? Ha sit been moved or am I just too late!

I think this feature may help me as I have someone who keeps asking me for a compile(zip) tool to get a set of course resources into a single zip for download (I think WebCT has this?). This might be the place to add that tool - I'll have to learn a bit about zipping in PHP smile

by Jaime Villate -
Very nice, Martin. Thanks.

I would like to see a couple of extra features in future releases:

1- In the directory listing, "edit" links for administrators or/and
teachers. Something similar to the files section.

2- Allow subdirectories. When you get to the form with a pull-down menu to choose the directory, you can only choose among first level directories and no subdirectories. It would be messy to show all subdirectories in the tree, but perhaps one could choose to go through an extra step to refine the choice among subdirectories of the selected directory.
In reply to Jaime Villate

by Art Lader -
>> Allow subdirectories...

Hmm... I am pretty sure that this feature is working on my installation, Jaime.

I will take another look and get back to you if I am wrong.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Here's a screen shot:
Attachment subdirectories.PNG
In reply to Art Lader

by Jaime Villate -
Thanks for your reply, Art.

You're absolutely right. It works perfectly! I was making some confussion between two courses I have; one with several subdirectories and another with just 1st level directories.