Problem with RSS feeds in Moodle 1.7

Problem with RSS feeds in Moodle 1.7

by Chris Lamb -
Number of replies: 7

I'm testing out Moodle 1.7 in preparation for an upgrade of our live Moodles from 1.5 over the summer.

I had a problem last week where I was getting very slow page loads (~30 secs) and the right-hand column and page footer weren't showing.  Following a suggestion from someone in these forums I traced it to the RSS feeds block, so I deleted the block and the page started loading completely, and in only 2 or 3 seconds.  I then re-installed the same block (rss_client), and the page continued to render correctly and fast.

Today I tried adding an RSS feed to the block, and the problem has come back.  Very slow page loads, and the HTML gets truncated at the point where the RSS block should appear.  The feed validates correctly when I test it, but it doesn't display, the block (and all the code after it) just dies.  I've tried searching the forums to see if there's a fix for this, but none of the things mentioned in the threads I've looked at have got it working.  I've got Error Reporting set to E_ALL in php.ini, but I'm getting no errors reported.  It doesn't seem to be theme-related, as I've got my theme set to Standard, and it's still not working.

I've looked on moodle.org for a later version of the block, but the block has disappeared completely.  All I can find is something created by the Open University which is designed for 1.8.

To clarify, I'm not trying to create RSS feeds from forum posts or anything else within Moodle, I'm just trying to link to external feeds like the BBC one at http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/front_page/rss.xml - this feed works perfectly well in 1.5, but in 1.7 it kills the page. 

Can anyone suggest a fix for this, please, or point me to a later, 1.7-compatible, version?

TIA

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Lamb

Re: Problem with RSS feeds in Moodle 1.7

by Chrissie Turkington -

Hi Chris

I have a similar problem and have traced it to the use of the fopen command in the RSS client for 1.7.1.  Unfortunately my web host has identified a security risk with allowing the fopen command and has therefore blocked it - hence my RSS block isn't working.  It's been suggested that I replace the fopen command with curl script but I don't really want to do that as I'm not sure what I'm doing.  Has anyone else out there got round this problem?  The security team state that fopen is blocked on a number of web hosts so surely this must be a common problem?

Thanks

Chrissie

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Ed McLafferty -
Hi Chris,

Don't know if you have solved this one yet. We had a similar issue. Our Moodle is hosted on our own intranet server. The solution for us was to add our proxy host address and port number under:

Site administration > Server > Http > Proxy host and then proxy port.

That solved it for us.

Cheers,

Eddie
In reply to Chris Lamb

by Ed McLafferty -
Hi Chris,

Don't know if you have solved this one yet. We had a similar issue. Our Moodle is hosted on our own intranet server. The solution for us was to add our proxy host address and port number under:

That solved it for us.

Cheers,

Eddie
In reply to Chris Lamb

by Ed McLafferty -
Hi Chris,

That solved it for us.

Cheers,

Eddie
In reply to Chris Lamb

by Ed McLafferty -
Hi Chris,

That solved it for us.

Cheers,

Eddie
In reply to Chris Lamb

by Ed McLafferty -
Hi Chris,

That solved it for us.

Cheers,

Eddie
In reply to Ed McLafferty

by Ian Cannonier -
Thank you Eddie / Chris. The above solution has worked for me.

Once again thanks

Ian