Software for testing max hit rate of Moodle server?

Software for testing max hit rate of Moodle server?

by Lawrence Khoo -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

I'm currently testing out the speed of different machines as Moodle servers, trying to decide what to buy and how many we need. But, the software I've found that simulate page hits all have a problem. They don't store cookies, so all they do is load the login page over and over again. I've tried enabling the option to allow search engines access, but that didn't seem to help. Anyone know how to generate 50 page hits/second on different pages in Moodle? (Short of having 50 students in a lab clicking on different pages every second, that is.)

Anyway, here's what I've found. Assuming you have enough RAM so it never swaps to disk and PHP accelerator enabled, the most important factor determining max throughput is the speed of your RAM. Get the fastest RAM possible, and use 2 SDRAM strips and a motherboard that has Dual Channel DDR RAM. A 3GHz P4 machine with 800MHz FSB and 400MHz Dual-Channel DDR RAM seems to give the best bang for the buck. It maxes out at about 100 page hits/second (on the login page that is). Which works out to 360,000 hits per hour, which is probably enough for most people. wink

cheers,
Lawrence
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lawrence Khoo

Re: Software for testing max hit rate of Moodle server?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
By coincidence this is exactly the hardware configuration I used to upgrade my desktop machine this week. smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jez Colburn -
Hi can I ask which stress test tools you have used so far ?

by Lawrence Khoo -
Sorry guys, I'm an idiot.  I forgot to turn off the 'force login' option big grin

With forcelogin turned off, I can now access most of the links from the main page.  So, my project for the weekend is to make 50 pages in the Site News forum and then hit it with 50 instances of 'ab' (Apache Benchmark on linux).

Lawrence

回應: Re: Software for testing max hit rate of Moodle server?

by Ying-Ju Chen -

Hi.. Lawrence:

Which software u use to simulate ?  

I am new in computer...blush

I am intersted in it...

In reply to Ying-Ju Chen

Re: ¦^À³: Re: Software for testing max hit rate of Moodle server?

by Lawrence Khoo -
I'm currently using 'ab' apache benchmark. It's in most linux distributions, and probably the easiest with which to simulate large numbers of hits. However, I've also used Paessler's Webstress, good for impressing your boss with nice graphics. There's also a freebie by Microsoft, that only runs on Windows 2000 or XP. I don't have the link, but a search on google should turn it up.

Hope this helps,
Lawrence

Re: ¦^À³: Re: Software for testing max hit rate of Moodle server?

by Daryl Hawes -
'ab' apache benchmark is also on Mac OS X

by Sue Sottili -
Hi, can I ask you how you complete the database? I've to simulate a university and I' try to complete my db whit ab (whit post request), but ab support only a cookie per session and Moodle use 4 cookies?

Can you help me please?
I've to do my test in a very few time: my tutor lost my work... and I've to rebuilt all in a week sad (It's a mission impossible but I'would like to try it!)

thank's a lot!