Moodle documentation: Use of Templates for legacy Moodle versions

Moodle documentation: Use of Templates for legacy Moodle versions

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers
Where can I or others go to understand the use of templates for various versions of Moodle. Do we explain these yellow blocks someplace to a new users? I am refering to something like the Template:Moodle 1.6, {{Moodle 1.6)} which appears as a yellow block to the right in a MoodleDoc.

My opinion is that this was used in MoodleDocs to alert users to new features in a section or a new page that applied to the release. This is why they are also listed as a catagory.

My question is when should these templates be removed? For example, do we really need 1.6 templates when 2.0 is released? Do we have an informal 12 month from the date of the next release cut off? Only show blocks for the last 2 releases?

I am actually wondering if tips for each legacy edition, should have a template that is more the size of an icon and says something like "Tip 1.5", which can be used either as a bullet or in a line of text.

Moodle Version
Release Date
5th June, 2005
19th June, 2006
7th November, 2006
31st March 2007

I maybe the only one interested in this. It probably impacts catagories as well.

Best - Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Moodle documentation: Use of Templates for legacy Moodle versions

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris

Firstly, a big THANK YOU for your continuing documentation contributions goedkeurend and thanks also for your comments regarding Moodle version templates. I've added a paragraph about them to docs.moodle.org/en/MoodleDocs:Guidelines_for_contributors. Does it explain things enough?

Regarding removing Moodle version templates, I think we should have templates for all versions available on the Moodle downloads page. Moodle 1.5 seems quite old now, so perhaps we could remove the version template and just use ordinary text, as has been done for docs.moodle.org/en/Language_editing. What do you think?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Thank you.  I have learn a great deal on many different levels by contributing to MoodleDocs.   And I might add, I am still learning things about presentations (in a multi cultural environment as well) and 'old features' of Moodle.

The link to Guidelines helps.   I always think of the template being used when the feature is new.  It sort of says, this was brand new as of this release.  I should find a specific example (best practice I will ignore smile  )   However, say feature was added in Moodle 1.6 and then modified in 1.8 .   What do we do?  Put the 1.8 where it was modified or added and leave the 1.6 at the top, or just ignore the 1.8 template?   I guess I would have a rule that the template at the top of the page says that was when the feature was introduced (page created for in many cases).   When a template was in a subsection after a heading, it means there have been significant changes in that area for that version of Moodle.  

As for removing templates from a page, I think it will be my goal to make sure the page lives up to the latest version (1.8 at the moment) before I remove the "new feature" template.    

Best   Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris,

Regarding the case of a feature being added in Moodle 1.6 and then modified in 1.8, I think what we should do depends upon how the feature was modified. If bugs were fixed, or small improvements were made, then a 1.8 template is not necessary. If a new feature or sub-feature is added, then a 1.8 template may be used.

Rather than adding lots of version templates to a page, you can always type "From Moodle 1.7 onwards, ..." or similar (for example, in the My Moodle documentation).

Ensuring that Moodle 1.8 is fully documented is an excellent plan. Please keep up the good work! approve