Upgrading 1.6 to 1.8!

Upgrading 1.6 to 1.8!

by Chris Harner -
Number of replies: 17
I'm trying to upgrade 1.6 to 1.8 and cannot figure out how to restore the courses to 1.8! I have three instances of Moodle, one of which is for development (testing new versions).

I see what a lot of other people are doing, and they are simply creating a new instance of Moodle, backing up their old copy and then restoring it to the new one. How does one do this? Apparently, I "backed up" the data using the Backup function in 1.6. How do I make it happen in 1.8?

I installed 1.8 by downloading it manually, since the CVS didn't work for me. My PHP and MySQL are current. I'm running a remote Linux box running OpenSUSE 10.1 x64. Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Harner

Re: Upgrading 1.6 to 1.8!

by Mauno Korpelainen -

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Backup_restore

(or http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrade )

If you use backup/restore tool you need to backup and restore all courses and front page separately. Otherwise use upgrading.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Chris Harner -
Hi, Mauno.

I was able to CVS and try to upgrade Moodle. I got pretty far but now I get this error:
Module "exercise" (2007020200) could not be installed. It requires a newer version of Moodle (currently you are using 2006050510, you need 2007020200).

Even though I'm in the middle of attempting to upgrade to the latest! What can be the problem? Thanks.
In reply to Chris Harner

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Module Exercise is not a standard module and you should delete it before upgrading. If you are still able to start from moodle 1.6 go to Administration -> Configuration -> Modules and delete it & delete the Exercise subfolder from folder mod. If you have started upgrading and can't come back to moodle 1.6 you should delete it from database (from table mdl_modules and all tables starting with mdl_exercise) for example with phpmyadmin.

It may be possible to install module exercise to moodle 1.8 too but then you need to take course backups, install module exercise after upgrading again and try to restore exercises from course backups. However current moodle 1.8 "does no like" non standard activities and they may cause a lot of trouble later (for example with backup/restore/upgrading).

by Chris Harner -
There is no Exercise module in the list (within the admin/config/modules page) and I checked the mod folder - nothing! I've never installed it seperately, or any other module that I'm aware of.

Here's what I'm doing:
- Verify Exercise module doesn't exist in the mod folder nor admin>config>modules
- Fire up PuTTy:
cd /srv/www/htdocs/university2/
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle co -r MOODLE_18_STABLE moodle
cd moodle
cvs update -dP
cvs -Q update -dP -r MOODLE_18_STABLE
- Direct browser to http://university2.domain.lcl/admin
- Stare at this and do nothing:
Module "exercise" (2007020200) could not be installed. It requires a newer version of Moodle (currently you are using 2006050510, you need 2007020200).

What is the probability of it working if I update to version 17 first, then 18? Thats all I can think of at this point.
In reply to Chris Harner

by Chris Harner -
This is what I get when trying to upgrade to 1.7-
Module "exercise" (2006091201) could not be installed. It requires a newer version of Moodle (currently you are using 2006050510, you need 2006080900).
In reply to Chris Harner

by Richard Enison -

CH,

This is a very puzzling phenomenon which seems to have everyone stumped, so far. As I look over earlier posts mentioning this module, I find a fairly recent one from Martin Dougiamas (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=69176#p310671) that says it is in CVS but disabled by default.

Is it possible that a developer has, accidentally or otherwise, reversed that default? Doesn't seem too likely, because I would expect to see a flurry of posts from other Moodlers saying, "The same thing happened to me." But it's a thought. Maybe it's such a recent change that no one else has tried to upgrade since it happened.

I don't know enough about CVS to be able to look at it and see if the default has changed. I might try downloading 1.6 and try upgrading and see if it happens to me, someday when I have time, if no one else solves the riddle in the meantime.

RLE

In reply to Chris Harner

by Mauno Korpelainen -
It could still be in your database. Module exersice was for a short while available with some early versions of moodle 1.6 packages although it has never been a standard module. It was then replaced with assignment. If you have phpmyadmin or some other database tool try to find table mdl_modules and row "exercise" or tables starting mdl_excercise,  mdl_exercise_assessments,  mdl_exercise_elements, mdl_exercise_grades, mdl_exercise_rubrics or mdl_exercise_submissions and delete them.

by John Isner -
Exercise was replaced by Assignment? Are you sure you don't mean Journal? There is a plan to replace Exercise by a more comprehensive version of Workshop. Meanwhile Exercise is still included in 1.8, although it is hidden by default.
In reply to John Isner

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Thanks John,

I selected wrong words - and I have a "selective" memory...exercise was indeed not replaced but as far as I can remember Assignment was made better and exercise "dropped" for lack of maintainers. I may be wrong as well...Errare humanum est

by Richard Enison -

MK,

1. Funny, it occurred to me also that it could be the database, but then I thought if that was the case it would have appeared in the list of which CH said, "There is no Exercise module in the list (within the admin/config/modules page)."  Shows how much I know. What do you think?
  2. Just wondering whether the property of being hidden by default that JI mentions is different from the property of being disabled by default that Martin Dougiamas mentioned, as quoted in my previous post in this thread.
RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by John Isner -
I'm not sure what the distinction is between disabled and hidden. Exercise appears in the list of modules you get when you get Moodle 1.8 from CVS (Site Administration -> Modules -> Activities) but it has a closed eye in the Hide/Show column. When you open the eye, you can create an Exercise, so it's certainly not disabled. I imported a course with an Exercise from a 1.6 site. The Exercise worked for the most part, but there were problems with grading that may be related to roles (see MDL-9648).
In reply to John Isner

by Richard Enison -

JI,

Thank you for your detailed response. It looks like we either have a difference of opinion as to what disabled means, or whether disabled is the right word to describe the status of this module. I dare not say more!

Everyone,

The real question, which I raised in an earlier post, is whether the status of the mod in the CVS system, be it called hidden or disabled, may have been changed, perhaps accidentally, causing CH's problem with upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7 or 1.8 via CVS of the attempted loading of the mod in spite of its apparent absence from the existing installation (1.6) and the lack of any request to do so, either separately or as part of the overall upgrade. thoughtful

(If my feeble attempt to summarize the problem in a single sentence is confusing, pls see earlier posts [not just mine] in this thread.)

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Because of this version error

Module "exercise" (2006091201) could not be installed. It requires a newer version of Moodle (currently you are using 2006050510, you need 2006080900).

it could be easier to upgrade moodle to new version (1.6-1.7-1.8) without cvs and without exercise (and without problems) from http://download.moodle.org/

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Is there some reason WHY exercise still remains with standard modules in cvs ? It could be downloaded as all other non standard modules as well.

by Chris Harner -
Thanks everyone for your analysis. To clear things up, Exercise IS NOT in the database and IS NOT on the module page in the configuration. It's not hidden, not disabled --- it DOES NOT exist. smile

I suppose I could try to backup my users and courses, btu when I loaded a fresh version of 1.8 I didn't find a place to import both users and courses.
In reply to Chris Harner

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Create one course and from course administration menu select Restore - Upload a file (course backup file) - Browse/Select and Upload this file - Restore - Yes - Continue - Restore to New course (with user data that you have included to your previous course backup file) - Continue - Restore this course now! - Restore completed successfully Continue and it's there big grin

...but you must do this for all courses and front page separately if you use course backup/restore.

by Chris Harner -
I'm having a slight issue with importing. I believe all of the users and most settings transferred over, but my quiz didn't. There the original spot where it was - and it has the icon for the quiz - however the quiz is not there. Instead, I see this:

Permissions issue?