Parametrization of moodle for supporting m-learning

Parametrization of moodle for supporting m-learning

by paul papapaul -
Number of replies: 10
Hi All,

This subject concerns with the parametrization of moodle so that it becomes more suitable for use via PDA devices and support more efficiently mobile learning. We cannot say that the navigation in moodle is the best when someone use his/her pda.For example, the horizontal scrolling bar should not be supposed to exist, according to guidelines of a pda application (w3c- http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-mobile-bp-20060412/#bpgroupnavlinks, http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-mobile-bp-20060412/#cm).
Therefore, here we can propose ways for parametrization modules of moodle so that they are friendly for use via mobile wireless divices.

Opinions and solutions would be expected
Average of ratings: -
In reply to paul papapaul

Re: Parametrization of moodle for supporting m-learning

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Actually we (DFWikiteam/DFWikilabs) have been working on a Java 2 Micro Edition Mobile client for moodle. We still have not released anything (mainly cause our resources are in the wiki thing rigth now) but I expect to come up with a J2ME midlet that connects to the moodle server (using a special webservice bridge) and will be able to store information in the phone while its offline..
I know java is evil and eats kids, but mobile web is not a viable solution rigth now due to the tecnologies, interfaces and networking cost.
More info of our J2ME devs
Ludo
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Andreas Forstinger -
Hi Ludo.
I just stumbled over your post by incident. I am very interested in your ideas about a Java ME rich client for Moodle. Actually, I am working on such a client for quite a time now. It is a hybrid architecture, combining both the advantages of a rich client and mobile web. There is also support for context aware activities via mobile tags (and GPS support will follow in the next few weeks). I hope to be able to publish the output here soon. At the moment I am refactoring my code to suite new Moodle 1.8 version. You are welcome to have a visit at http://www.mobileclassroom.at whereas I do not have rich documentation yet and the site is german only sad But if anybody is interested, just drop me a mail or call me on skype. I will be glad to answer any questions.
Regards, Andreas

by Samuli Karevaara -
I'm not sure I understand the parametrization here, maybe you mean configuration options for each module to tailor them for mobile devices?

Visually (as I understand it) it's all about the (x)html + css + javascript, how well it suits small screens and is the used js supported on mobile device browsers etc. There is a theme included in Moodle called "orangewhitepda" that you could try, it's designed to suit small (narrow) resolutions better...
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by paul papapaul -
I mean exactly that you understand. I am doing my diploma dissertation and i'm trying to find out how could moodle be parametrized for best fit in mobile devices. I know about the orangewhitepda theme but unfortunately a haven't a personal pda to check how appropriate is that theme. For example, is there the horintal scrolling bar. Furthermore,for use via pda it shouldn't be viewed all infos of moodle site (regarding with guidelines).
If someone could check it via a pda it would be helpful.Also it would be helpful if anyone knows a pda simulator/emulator to check it from my pc.

by Samuli Karevaara -
I think you should get a first-hand access to the environment that you are evaluating. You can approximate some pda-like-qualities with a PC too: find out the screen resolutions of some common PDA devices along with the browser support that they have. If they support a full-version Opera, for example, just install Opera and set the resolution of the window to the equivalent of the PDA device.

You have to accommodate some other factors too, like missing a mouse, for example. And pen-touch-screen devices are very different to navigate with that a keyboard-mouse-computer.

What sort of parametrization do the PDA devices require from Moodle?

by paul papapaul -
You are right, i should get a first-hand access to the environment, but until save some money and bye a qualitative pda smile i hope that i get a good feedback from that forum.
Concerning the parametrization,
I'm speaking about parametrization of the appearance of the site of moodle so that it fits best in pda requirements.For example, i'm wondering if the orangewhitepda theme folow the guidelines of mobile devices.I also wonder if the horizontal scrolling bar exists while navigating in moodle via pda.If so, i would like to find a way (like editing pieces of code files of moodle that refer to appearance) to disappear this bar and adapt the site to the resolution of a pda screen (probably some modules,like calendar,should not be included or should be viewed in a different way, eg not in main page but stand alone).
If I try to minimize the width of site in half of its original, should i edit the code files of a theme folder for that reason?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Most of the themes are fluid/flexible: just make your browser window half the width and see how the theme and the contents reacts.

by paul papapaul -
Yes it's really flexible enough.In the pc browser its no problem becuase there is no screen restriction, but in a pda it's not the same.There you must use a horizontal scrolling also to view all the contents of site.I would limit the contents doing what i refered above(eg deleting calendar).But if i would edit more efficiently the appearance, what should i do? Is there any code file that i could edit?I think it could be done but i haven't find yet the appropriate files.

by Martín Langhoff -
I'm sure you can create custom theme and pass all the CSS parameters you want to make your mobile phone happy wink

by Jose Luis Zafra Ojuel -
Hi!

We are developing a M-learning SCORM course to be viewed in a PDA. We are testing our product with several LMS's, and basically we face with the same problem: navigation.

We design our SCO's to be viewed in full screen. Every SCO is a web page with Flash making the presentation and the navigation inside the SCO.

With moodle we have taken two options with no success in showing the SCO in the PDA:
  • SCORM played inside the windows. The page is generated with iframes, than can't be visualized in the PDA (at least we presume this is the problem)
  • SCORM played in a new window. The window is open as a popup and this doesn't work with the PDA.
We have tested it with Explorer and Opera in a Windows Mobile device.

Has anybody have a solution for this? We would thank any help with this issue.

Best Regards
--
Jose Luis