The box for the Short Answer questions is too small

The box for the Short Answer questions is too small

by Setareh Ghahari -
Number of replies: 14

Hi all,

I am using Moodle for a training course in rehabilitation that's why I need to adapt some of the features in Moodle for my specific needs.As the quizes are not for assessing and are used for  training asn brainstorming, we want participants to see eachother's responses and learn from each other. The boxes in Essay quesions are too big while in Short Answers they are too small (only 14 characters).

Is there any way to change the size of boxes in Short Answer Qs?

Setareh

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Setareh Ghahari

Re: The box for the Short Answer questions is too small

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Setereh,
the HotPot module doesn't handle Essay questions. I think you are talking about the Moodle's standard Quiz module, so I suggest you ask your questions about the on the Quiz Module Forum:

If you are really talking about the HotPot module and I have misunderstood your terminology, please let me know smile

all the best
Gorodn
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Setareh Ghahari -

HI Gordon,

Sorry for not explain it clearly. I was just explaining that changing the format of tables to seperate questions in a "essay" format does not help me.

There is no right or wrong answer for the quizes we have. That's why participants may write 100 characters in the box so we need a bigger box.

Is it possible at all?

Setareh

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Setereh,
as I understand it, you would like your students to see a "question" and then compose a response in long text box - up to 100 characters. Students do not receive a score for their response and students can view each others responses. Is that right?

The HotPot module is not the most suitable module for this task, and neither is the Quiz module, because students cannot view each other's answers.

Instead I suggest you create a Moodle Forum where only the teacher can start discussions (i.e. post the "question"), but all students can then see each others' replies and comment on those replies.

If you wish to try something a little more complex, you could try the Workshop module, which allows students to critically assess each others' work. The Project module, which is a non-standard module, may also be off interest to you, because it allows students to form groups for brainstorming.

have I understood your intention correctly?
Gordon

by J. Chan -

As further input, you may also consider using "My Journal" (3rd party contribution), and perhaps Glossary.

Cheers

James

by Setareh Ghahari -

Thank you. I will try them to see if they work for  us. 

I know it is very wiered but I can not find Journal and Project anywhere. they are not in my "add Activity" list. Any idea?

Setareh

by Gordon Bateson -

The "Project" and "Journal" modules are not part of standard Moodle. They are add-ons, known also as "3rd party" modules. You will have to download them separately and add them to your Moodle site.

The documentation about installing non-standard modules is here:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category:Modules_%28non-standard%29#Module_installation

Once you have installed the modules, they will appear in the "Add an Activity" drop down menus on the Moodle course pages.

all the best
Gordon

by Martin Holmes -
Hi there,

The text boxes should always be long enough for the answers that go in them. If that's not the case, please send us the URL of an exercise illustrating the problem.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by Setareh Ghahari -

Here  it is:

http://livingeffectively.net.au/selfmanagement/mod/quiz/attempt.php?q=46

As there is no right or wrong aswer, I did no add any answers. But even if I do I have a long long answer, the box's size does not change (as in the first one)

Setareh

by Gordon Bateson -

Unfortunately, we can' t see your Quiz activity, because that Moodle course is not available to students (or the guest user).

by Setareh Ghahari -

Sorry, I open it now.

Setareh

by Gordon Bateson -
I still get this error message:
Sorry, 'Fatigue Self-management' does not allow guests to enter.

I can't create my own account because the user authentication on your site is set to manual.

Please change the course settings so guest can enter, or set up a Moodle username and password that will allow us to have a look.

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hello Gordon and everyone!

I too have a problem with short-answer boxes in HP quiz.

The size seems set within Moodle,  whereas it adapts to the answer's length when in a standard html format.

You can connect as guest (invité)

pswrd : miscellaneous1929

https://foad.univ-rouen.fr/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=11400

Thanks for your (undoubtedly upcoming) answer smile

Philippe

In reply to Philippe Decloitre

by Gordon Bateson -
hi Phillipe,

> I too have a problem with short-answer boxes in HP quiz.
> The size seems set within Moodle, whereas it adapts to
> the answer's length when in a standard html format.

I just checked in the HotPot module for the latest Moodle 1.9, and the PHP code for generating textboxes for short-answer questions in JQuiz seems to generate a single line text input element for answers less than 30 characters in length, and a multiline text input element for anything over that. That seems to be the behavior you want.

Your Moodle may be slightly old (1.9.1+ ?), so please could you update to the latest Moodle (1.9.4+) and confirm whether or not you still have this issue.

thanks
Gordon

by Philippe Decloitre -

Cheerio Gordon

I just forwarded your swift answers to my administrator, Mr. Lemaire, our Moodler "par excellence" here.

A soon as he lets me know, I will post the outcome.

Not a small thing either as we have hundreds or users of the Moodle platform at Rouen University.

Many Thanks

Philippe