New Theme: Weather Change

New Theme: Weather Change

by Will Cunningham -
Number of replies: 6
I came up with this idea when I saw Google's Personalized Homepage with themes. One of their themes has the header changing based on the weather conditions. I thought that it shouldn't be too hard to do that myself.
I got some friends to help me with the script and I'm pretty sure we have worked out all the bugs.
I took the Formal White theme and just changed the way the header works. That is the only change I have made.
There are seven different images for the header. They all have my name on them now, you will need to make your own. The header is 1000px x 150px
They all correspond with these weather conditions:

Sunny
Rain
Thunderstorm
Tornado Warning
Snow
Fog
Cloudy

I hope someone can find a use for this. I imagine there are many possibilities Let me know what you think.

I have added it to the Themes Database and it can been seen here:
Demo
I have been having some problems with my site due to some issues with mysql on my hosted server. If my site is down just try later.
Download
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will Cunningham

Re: New Theme: Weather Change

by Will Cunningham -
I don't know if I made this clear. The header changes dynamically based on the weather conditions at your zip code. If it is raining outside then the header will show the rainy example.

The images that come with it now are all branded with my title, you will need to create your own images do make it personalized.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Will,

fresh idea and cute logos!

One note: You should change height for header-home to 150 px because logos are 1000 x 150 px now. Otherwise IE7 has problem with overlapping . FF2 had no problems. smile

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Will,

Neat idea. I wonder if it would also be possible to create dynamic headers that are not based on weather reports, but on the calendar. We have a sort of four seasons theme that changes (manually) according to the calendar (with special headers for Halloween and Chinese New Year and other occasions).

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Paul,

it is possible with a small javascript or php script included to theme header.html

I used some years ago scripts to change content of a html block every day ("name day" scripts) and I think I still have them in a safe place...but the basic idea is just to have a couple of tags like if...else...  to select the logo (or something else)

by Nora Marceau -

Hi, I'm a home schooling Mom with little technical experience with web building etc. I am trying to learn as I set up our school online. I will be doing travelling etc, so moodle will help me alot with staying connected and supervising school work even from a distance.

I want to make our classroom "special" and I love the theme and theme ideas presented here. My kids love watching the weather, and I would love to set this weather theme for our online classroom.

Where I'm finding difficulties is in simple instructions of how to install it. I can find the administration portion of my site where I can change my theme and it gives me some theme options and even a link to how to create my own, but I can't find how to download and install this weather one. Can someone give me simple directions or point me to where I can find those directions.

I would greatly appreciate that! You guys are awesome.

Thanks,

Nora