Surveying student feedback on their Moodle experience

Surveying student feedback on their Moodle experience

by Mark Burnet -
Number of replies: 8

David Le Blanc's recent discussion opener in the Open Social forum about a "Learner's Forum" caused me to think about a matter that I have been trying to work out for a little while now.  How does one survey and assess a student's experience with Moodle?  In compulsory education, the student's motivation and therefore their experience may not be accurately assessed within Moodle itself.  I am looking to find out what others are doing to gather this information in order to improve instruction. 

I have hung out a "Suggestion Box" forum but my experience with the physical version of these is that they usually goes empty until there is a problem.  I can present an exit survey that is open ended in order to get some feedback.  I am also considering F2F interviews with students to reach out to those who do not respond to the "Moodle experience".  I hear the complaints from students who work with Blackboard quite often.  It is most often a "muttered comment" and they are not motivated to give direction for improvement to their teachers.

If one learns much more from one's failures than successes, then it's the failures I'm interested in.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Burnet

Re: Surveying student feedback on their Moodle experience

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
I took a survey in my Autumn 2003 calculus class about my students' online experience.  Here is a link to the announcement. (When you get a login prompt for the survey, enter practice1 as both username and password.)  While most of the questions dealt with WeBWorK (the other software component of our courseware), there were a couple of questions about Moodle.  Here are the compiled results of the survey: https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math152au03zf/survey/
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You may not have noticed that Moodle has a Survey module that contains three interesting survey instruments designed to do exactly what you want. surprise smile

These are particular useful when applied multiple times so you can track changes ... this could be just once at the beginning then once at the end, or (as in my own courses) applied once every week.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Allen -
That's interesting - weekly identical surveys seems very frequent.  Isn't there a danger that learners will not be answering thoughtfully when they have to answer the same questions so often?  thoughtful             
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mark Burnet -
Yes, I am beginning a rewrite of that module to incorporate some different questions.  I'm also looking at another as an exit survey for a series of Teacher Institutes behind held in August.   
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Jeff Wood -

I too was looking for a student survey of both the moodle site and my course (I like to do at the end of a course).

I found http://phpesp.sourceforge.net/ worked well.  I could make my own survey and ask my own questions (needed a little more flexability than what the default moodle surveys gave).

J

In reply to Jeff Wood

Ang: Re: Surveying student feedback on their Moodle experience

by Tormod Hansen -
I have installed phpESP too and I am testing it right now. It works very fine and is very easy to work with.
In reply to Tormod Hansen

Re: Ang: Re: Surveying student feedback on their Moodle experience

by Mark Burnet -

Looks good. I will install it this weekend.  I had also toyed with using the ProfilerPro site.

http://profilerpro.com/ as a quick fix for surveys.

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

phpESP has been ported into Moodle via the Questionnaire module (available through the contrib cvs).

It isn't fully integrated; more like 'hung off the side'. But it does allow you to include a questionnaire as an activity in a course.

You can find details here.

mike