CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT

CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT

by Leonardo Terra -
Number of replies: 64

This is FINAL release of certificate 4.1 FAT.

This version is a stabile version of certificate 4.1 FAT Beta, with full support for Moodle 1.8 and a general debug in code, including a correction for critical bug with dates.

Upgrade of versions 4.0 and 4.1 Beta is strongly recommended.

If you have problems you can report bugs here, when you place bugs to analyses try to place a maximum information about problem including some basic information like Certificate version, Moodle version (in this format -> Moodle 1.X (YYYYMMDDVV)) , Web server version, OS version, Database version and PHP version.

Download Certificate 4.1 FAT here.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leonardo Terra

Re: CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT

by Richard Smyton -

Moodle Version 1.7.1

Web Server: Linux 2.6.19.2-grsec-sg3

Database: 4.1.21-standard-log

PHP: 5.0.5

Leonardo,

This is a FANTASTIC mod. It has all installed as expected, no problems here. However the certificate fails to print a name or 'score/grade' on the certificate, it just leaves a blank space and no matter how many pupils try and collect these blank certificates in admin I see 'View 0 issued certificates'.

All borders, signatures, dates etc are fine.

It is as if the certificate is not linked to the pupil in any way?

Please could you advise?

Many thanks,

Richard

W G Primary School

In reply to Richard Smyton

by Leonardo Terra -

What is your database? MySQL?

This kind of problem (empty fields) is related with Data base problems, try to access data base to see if module is correctly installed, certificate module will generate 2 tables in data base, certificate and certificate_issue if one of this tables isn’t created certificate module won’t be work.

To reinstall you can remove these two tables and version information in config table. You can create these tables manually direct in database too, but this operation request more know how.

by Richard Smyton -

Thank you for your reply.

It is MySQL.

I am not a technical person at all, but I have reinstalled it twice and still have the same problem.

Using phpmyadmin I can see 2 tables present: mdl_certificate and mdl_certificate_issues.

Does this information help you diagnose my problem?

Many thanks,

Richard

by Leonardo Terra -

Yes, this can help, because I know that tables are in right place.

Have you other kind of problem with moodle? After try to create a certificate can you see some data inside mdl_certificate_issues? Try to update PHP. I have some problems in the past with PHP 4.4.4 I never used 5.0.5, but this can be a problem, if this solve your problem please report here to we know possible problems in PHP versions. ;)

by Richard Smyton -

My moodle installation has no other problems and has been working well for some time. I did install an older version of certificate on my identical test installation some time ago and that worked fine apart from the date issue.

Once I create a certificate there remains no data inside mdl_certificate_issues and the certificate contains no name/grade data.

I cannot upgrade my PHP from 5.0.5.

Is there anything in the new certificate that is different to the older version other than the date fix?

I am very keen to get this sorted and would welcome any help.

Thank you for your time,

Richard

by Leonardo Terra -

I make some corrections using Moodle debug and correct date system, but changes aren’t big. Are you running some debug level?

I will work over a new release trying to solve these troubles.

by Leonardo Terra -

‘ in database isn’t supported by certificate yet, you need to change your course name. I will work over this to next version, tks for bug report.

by Richard Smyton -

Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

I have changed the course name and removed the ' and YES it works now..... the student's name is printed!

Many thanks.

Re: CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT and issues with 1.6 certficate

by W Stewart -

Hello Leonardo

I want to install certificate 1.6 and have had problems.I am using moodle 1.6 with PHP 5.05. When I had tried to install moodle 1.7, Moodle had asked me either to upgrade to 5.1 or downgrade to 4 because 5.05 was known to have issues with Moodle.

It seems 5.05 has issues with the pdf viewer. This is the error I get when I try to view the certificate.

FPDF error: Some data has already been output to browser, can't send PDF file

Any help would be appreciated

Regards Wes Stewart

by W Stewart -

Hello Richard

I am using PHP5.05 also. I have downloaded the latest certificate for Moodle 1.6 and it is not functioning well at all. Could you tell me where I can get an older certificate version? This may help me.

Regards Wes Stewart

In reply to W Stewart

by Leonardo Terra -

I have started to work in certificate project after Moodle 1.7 because of this I work in certificate module only for Moodle 1.7 or newer. You can use Chardelle’s module for Moodle 1.6, but this module don’t have conditional emission, you will need to install some conditional activities hack to do this.

I recommend PHP 5.1.8 to run Moodle this version of PHP give me better performance and more stabile environment for Moodle then others.

Re: CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT - blank window

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Hi,

I have installed this in a fresh 1.8 moodle. The install went OK and I seem to be able to create certificates, but when I save a certificate (and thereby directed to view it) or go to view a saved certificate, I just get a blank page in my browser. There is nothing in the source view. There is nothing in my server's error_log or mod_security log or suhosin log. I'm not sure where else to look for an error.

The certificates I created are in the db. The required tables are there. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot from here.

I am using php 4.4.6 on CentOS server with Apache 1.x and mySQL 4.1.x

Any suggestions where to start?

BTW... I've just gone through a learning curve for moodle (already had used claroline a few times) just so I could use this certificate mod. There isn't anything simliar for claroline and my client required it. I sure hope I can get this resolved. Upgrading php to 5.x is not an option.

In reply to Verdon Vaillancourt

by Leonardo Terra -

Are you talking about a problem in reports? You can see certificate when you emit this, but can check this in report, you get an error 404 message, is this problem what are you talking about?

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for replying...

No, I mean that when I create or edit a certificate, and click on save changes, I am redirected to a URL like /mod/certificate/view.php?id=33 which is the blank page I describe. I can also get to this blank page by clicking on the certificate in my course outline.

What I am trying to do is preview the certificate. Is this not possible or do I need to complete the course as a test student to see it?

Ps. If you want to have a look, I will create an account for you.

salut,
verdon

by Leonardo Terra -

This is a bizarre problem, this look like a PHP code problem in lib.php or view.php If you can open a account to me can be good.

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Thanks, I will msg you smile

by Leonardo Terra -

Verdon I had tested your site, I enable debug to show PHP errors and lib.php file showed by PHP error on debug isn’t original lib.php file from certificate 4.X FAT family Check you version, because original lib.php file don’t have references to resource_grades() function. Check error showed by debug to see reference for error, original Certificate 4.1 FAT don’t have this reference and works fine over debug without errors.

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Thanks for having a look Leonardo and pointing me in the right direction. I'll have a look a bit later this morning when my dad duties are done smile It seems an odd thing though, as I have never had another version of certificate installed (AFAIK). This is a brand-new installation. I must have missed something.

Anywise, I'll let you know, and thanks once more.

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Hi again,

I've just narrowed down a bit what's causing this...

In the edit/modify screen for the certificate mod, in the 'Grade Settings' section, if I choose 'Course Grade' I get this error. If I choose anything else, I'm OK.

Unfortunately, Course Grade is what I want LOL.

If I look at /mod/certificate/lib.php, there is no 'hard' reference to resource_grades() but I believe it is being dynamically generated at line 509...

$gradefunction = $module->name."_grades";

... and then being passed to this at line 510 ...

if ($modgrades = $gradefunction($cm->instance))

This may be a legitimate bug?

rgds,

by Leonardo Terra -

This is bizarre, because this part of code is old one, and remains the same since certificate 3.0 by Chardelle, don’t have any sense older certificates runs and this one don’t, changes on grade are only in grade latter functions. Are you using grade latter?

by Leonardo Terra -

I’m thinking here, why this certificate is trying to get a resource grade? Because resources don’t have grades by default.

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Sorry, I have nothing to offer. This is my first moodle, so I don't have too much experience and no historical knowledge.

You've seen my course and it's pretty straight fwd... a number of lessons and two pdf resources and the certificate. That's about it.

Ultimately, for this particular course, I can work around it, but I thought you should know. I'll work with you if you want to persue and debug this.

by Leonardo Terra -

Verdon I’m working in other project now, but after complete this work I will work a day with certificate to solve troubles and all help is greet.

by Leonardo Terra -
Verdon, had you made progress with this problem? I can't reproduce this, but I like to include a solution in next certificate version.

by Frances Taylor -
I have installed this on 1.7 and it installed well. Everything worked EXCEPT the CREDIT HOURS. I have reverted back to the older version but that version had a problem with the dates. Is there one version where the date and credit hours works correctly? I completely removed the old mod before installing the new version and checked the database to be sure the tables were not still there when I installed the new version as well so I know it was not 'residual' data or files on the server that created a problem with the credit hours. Has anyone else had problems with the 4.1 credit hours on 1.7 that can tell me what I am doing wrong?
In reply to Frances Taylor

by Frances Taylor -
I noticed that changing the database variable 'credithours' in the certificate table to varchar(4) utf8_unicode not null with a default and the 'credits' in the certificate_issues table to the same with 0 as a default did fix the credit hours in the current install - I have a modified type/unicode_landscape/certificate.php file though but with my customized version of that file and changing those variable characteristics in the database, the credit hours do 'stick' and show up correctly when I enter them for any certificate. Just a note on this issue.
In reply to Frances Taylor

by Leonardo Terra -

I had tested here in my PHP5 environment and whit MySQL 5.0.22 and all works fine, Dates and Credit hours.

I tested in PHP5 and PostgreSQL 8.4 and works fine also.

For new versions of moodle I recommend PHP5, future versions of moodle will be compatible only with PHP5.

Have some special condition when these problems happen? What is exactly setup of module when problems happen?

by Frances Taylor -

You are probably right about the PHP5 - I'm working in PHP4 so that probably was the problem. I am sure it works with everyone using PHP5 - for PHP4, it has that issue I think BUT it seems that when I do change the characteristics of the variables like I listed below, it does provide a fix.

The report function actually works perfectly, even with PHP4 it was just that when it came to viewing the certificate, the credit hours remained '0' until I changed those variable characteristics in the database. It seems to be working with PHP4 with those changes. So thanks for checking on that...it probably was just that I am working off of PHP4 and not PHP5. Have a great day! This module is terrific!

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

Bug in unicode_landscape template (and fix)

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
I think I've exposed a minor bug in /mod/certificate/type/unicode_landscape/certificate.php

If I set 'Print Credit Hours' to No in the Format area of the certificates settings, I will get this error when viewing a certificate...

Notice: Undefined variable: credit in /home/username/public_html/moodle/mod/certificate/type/unicode_landscape/certificate.php on line 83

To fix this, I added these lines...

if(isset($credit))
$credit = $credit;
else
$credit = '';

just below the credit hour area at lines 18-22

Bug in un-enroll action

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Hi,

Just a heads up. At least in my installation, I've discovered that if the certificate mod is set to un-enroll a student when they have been issued a certificate, that in fact ALL students, teachers, admins are un-enrolled and not just the student in question. I'm going to try and find the bug today and will post fix when I do.

On an unrelated note, I have re-written the report function (almost done) so that it has some of the features of the report in the quiz mod, eg. sortable columns, name filter, paged results, a delete function, and so on. I'll also share that here when done.

more later,
v

FYI... this is in a moodle 1.8 install

Re: Bug in un-enroll action FIXED!

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
OK, the fix for the un-enrolling ALL was easy...

In the file /mod/certificate/view.php on or around line 165, it says...
role_unassign(0, $user->id, 0, $contextunenrol->id);

... change it to ...
role_unassign(0, $USER->id, 0, $contextunenrol->id);

$USER is case-sensitive

rgds,

Re: $user

by John Walling -
I found lower-case $user here:
lib.php
-> lines 93, 105, 107, 112, 124, 126, 132, 361, 362, 420, 423, 425, 428, 434, 960, 961, 1007, 1010, 1012, 1032, 1034, 1069, 1071,
report.php
-> lines 68, 69, 71, 72,
restorelib.php
-> lines 112, 113, 114

If $USER/$user is case-sensitive, there are several places that may be problem. I don't understand why upper-case was used. It would seem more logical to use a different spelling to avoid confusion if 2 variables are needed.

In reply to John Walling

Re: $user

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The convention in Moodle is that global variables are upper-case. So $USER is the logged in user we are serving a page for. $SITE holds information about the Moodle site, $COURSE is the course we are in, if any. Any lower-case variable, like $course, is just a local variable. For example if you have a loop looping over a list of courses, $course is a natural variable name.

I agree that in general, having variables whose name differs only be case is a bad idea, but in this specific case, I think that once you understand what is going on, the chance for confusion is quite small.

The various globals are defined at the top of lib/setup.php. The are the only upper-case variable names that should be used. For more information see the Moodle coding guidelines. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Coding

Re: CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT - errors in mod.html

by John Walling -
mod certificate bug reports
Re: CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT - errors in mod.html

17:11 PDT 5/11/2007
Three reported errors while adding Certificate activity to a course:

Operating system: Linux 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 25 17:28:02 EDT 2006 i686

Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)

PHP Version 5.2.0

MySQL Version 5.0.27-standard

MOODLE
$version = 2007021503;
$release = '1.8 +';

CERTIFICATE 4.1 FAT
$module->version = 20070425;

THREE ERRORS:

1. GRADE SETTINGS
Conditional to grade:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$activecondition in /home/lucy26/public_html/moodle/mod/certificate/mod.html on line 306
Line 306: choose_from_menu($yesnooptions, 'activecondition', $form->activecondition, '', 'certstyle3(document.certform.activecondition.options[document.certform.activecondition.selectedIndex].value)');

2. FORMAT
Print Grade:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$printgradestd in /home/lucy26/public_html/moodle/mod/certificate/mod.html on line 381
Line 381: choose_from_menu($yesnooptions, 'printgradestd', $form->printgradestd, '');

3. SETTINGS
Cancel enrolment:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$unenrol in /home/lucy26/public_html/moodle/mod/certificate/mod.html on line 432
Line 432: choose_from_menu($yesnooptions, 'unenrol', $form->unenrol, '', 'certstyle2(document.certform.printcredithours.options[document.certform.printcredithours.selectedIndex].value);');

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by David Cogg -

Hi, I also am getting the same result, the email arrives with no pdf. I have tried all combinations of settings (Save, Delivery etc).. does anyone have any ideas? I have made no changes to the certificate I am testing on a fresh installation of 1.71. Everything else appears to be fine.

Thanks

Dave

In reply to David Cogg

by Leonardo Terra -

What is the version of this certificates?

David certificate 4.2 change to save certificate when you configure to delivery by e-mail.

Bug (and fix) in certificate template

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Hi,

A bug in the certificate pdf template was brought to my attention. The fix is simple.

In the case where a course is using language filters for a multi-lingual course, there needs to be a text filter for the course's fullname, where it get's used in the PDF template.

In /mod/certificate/type/unicode_landscape/certificate.php around line 85...
cert_printtext(170, 320, 'C', 'FreeSerif', '', 20, $course->fullname);

... should be ...
cert_printtext(170, 320, 'C', 'FreeSerif', '', 20, format_string($course->fullname, true));

... otherwise, the html for the language filter is rendered to the PDF file.

Note: There may be other places where something similar needs to be done. This instance fixed what my user's were experiencing. I'm unsure if it shouldn't also be done around line 970 of /mod/certificate/lib.php or to other data.

by Chris Dewinetz -

Hello all,

I was hoping someone might be able to help.  I tried installing the Certificate 4.1FAT module on Moodle 18. but when I went to Notifications, I received an error message as follows:

"Version mismatch: certificate can't downgrade 2006101201 -> 20070425 !"

Can anyone tell me what gives?  As I understood the documentation, Certificate 4.1 FAT is supposed to be compliant with Moodle1.8.  Did I do something wrong?

Cheers.

In reply to Chris Dewinetz

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
I'm a new moodler so am just guessing... did you have an earlier version of certificate installed at some point?

As to compatibility, I have Certificate 4.1 FAT running fine on Moodle1.8.

by Chris Dewinetz -

Thanks for your response.

Yes.  We did have the default certificate installed.

I'm a new Moodler too (well, new enough to not have a feel for its quirks and foibles yet), so I probably didn't do something I should have, or did something I shouldn't have.

All we want to do is have a learner complete a final exam (using the quiz module), and upon acheiving a grade of 70% or better, we want them to get the certificate.

I've read lots about activity locking and the like, but I have yet to find a definitive answer as to how to do this.  In fact, I'm starting to think that there ISN'T one definitive way to do this.

We actually have two installations we're working with right now.  Our live site is a 1.7.1 installation, and we've got a 1.8 installation we're developing and testing with.

I have downloaded the Activity Locking module (?) V2.0 for 1.7.1 but I'm not even sure how to install it.  Do I just upload the unzipped folder to the /mod directory? ...or do I need to overwrite some existing files?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

In reply to Chris Dewinetz

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Well, maybe I can save you some trouble, as I tried to setup the same scenario. AFAIK, what you want to do is not possible at this time in 1.8. The activity locking module won't work in 1.8.

What I ended up doing, was that instead of using the quiz module, I used a lesson page, set-up as flash card lesson type randomly using 5 of 15 or so 'cards'. I was able to restrict the certificate 4.1 fat based on a % mark in that flash card lesson.

If I remember right, the problem was in restricting access to the quiz, and as the activity locking module isn't compatible with moodle 1.8.

That doesn't help with installing certificate on your 1.8 install. You might try looking for any certificate tables in your db (presumably left from the earlier version you tried), deleting them, and then trying again.

best luck

by Chris Dewinetz -

Ok.  I won't torture myself by trying to get activity locking to work in 1.8, but how do I install it in 1.7.1?  Is it just a module like any other?  ...just upload the unzipped directory to the /mods directory and go to admin screen?

...or are there special instructions?

Thanks.

Student Name Bug in Certificate Template and Issueing

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Hi,

I have discovered that if a student's name has an apostrophe ' in it, they cannot get a certificate.

For instance, I have a student with the last name of D'angela. If he attempts to get a certificate, the name is blank and there is no record of the certificate being issued. If I rename the user to Dangela, all is fine.

I have tried fiddling with format_string() and addslashes() in the addtext section of /mod/certificate/type/unicode_landscape/certificate.php and the certificate_prepare_issue() function of /mod/certificate/lib.php but no luck yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
verdon

Re: Student Name Bug in Certificate Template and Issueing

by Leonardo Terra -

This is a SQL problem, because ‘ is a special character to define stings in SQL. I’m working in this problem for certificate FAT 4.2.

by Verdon Vaillancourt -
Yes, I understand that... I'm just not having much luck finding where/how the string needs pre-processing.

BTW... did you get the email from me re: new report? I did resend as requested.

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If I'm understanding correctly, you are trying to insert a new record into a table that contains a string with a quote character in it, correct? If this string came from another data table / field, you will need to 'addslashes' to it before inserting it into the database. This is because when it comes from the database into a php string, the slashes that escape the quote character have been removed. If you don't add them back, the update will fail.

mike

by Leonardo Terra -

This is FINAL release of certificate 4.2 FAT.

This version is a stabile version of certificate FAT, with full support for Moodle 1.8 and a general debug in code, including a correction for bug with '.

If you have problems you can report bugs here, when you place bugs to analyses try to place a maximum information about problem including some basic information like Certificate version, Moodle version (in this format -> Moodle 1.X (YYYYMMDDVV)) , Web server version, OS version, Database version and PHP version.

Download Certificate 4.2 FAT here.

by Brian Schmidt -
I'm guessing there is some sort of moderator approval that is pending for this to actually be publicly available, but right now clicking on the link gives a "No entries in database" error page.
In reply to Brian Schmidt

by Leonardo Terra -

Re: CERTIFICATE 4.2 FAT

by Brian Schmidt -
Perfect -- thanks! I am eager to give this a try, since we ran into the issue with having an apostrophe in the name. Other than that, it's worked flawless for us.

by Julian Ridden -
Geez..at least give me 24 hours black eye

It has been approved and is now available
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Brian Schmidt -
Sorry, Julian -- it wasn't a comment about you not making them available in a timely fashion. I am unaware of how the module download area works in terms of things being posted/approved. I just happened to be in the middle of working on our Moodle when I saw the 4.2 upgrade posting, so went to grab a copy when I saw it come up.

by Brian Schmidt -
In the Instructions.txt file included, I notice the changed line stating "Moodle 1.8 running over PHP5 environment." Does that mean that starting with this 4.2 version, PHP5 is now a requirement? Are there specific parts of this that will not work with PHP4?

I was looking forward to upgrading to this version, since we had issues with the apostrophe in names problem, but we are running PHP4 and will not be upgrading it any time in the near future.

by Leonardo Terra -

I need to change this file... LOL.

Certificate FAT run over PHP > 4.3.0.

4.2: TCPDF Error

by Thilo Muenstermann -
Hi,
I'am using Moodle 1.8 and Certificate Module 4.2. When receiving a certificate I always get the error message "TCPDF error: Some data has already been output to browser, can't send PDF file". Seems like some Header-Data is send, but I haven't made any changes at the module.

I've tried on a Windows local machine with PHP 5.1.2 and on a Linux Webserver with PHP 4.4.0, same problem.

Is this a known issue? I would appreciate any help, thanks

Thilo

by Claudia Arteaga -
Hi Leonardo, i have a problem when i try to use the module Certificate FAT 4.2. I have installed: Moodle 1.8, Postgres 8.1.9 and PHP 5.1.6. During the module installation i get this message "Could not set up the capabilities for certificate!" I don't know what to do i've tried every thing, the module is installed anyway but it doesn't work, when i try to add a new Certificate i get Could not add a new course module.. or something like that. Any suggestion???

By the other hand, i have another Moodle installation but it works with MySQL 5.0.22 and the module works perfect....i can see the certificates!!! I don't understand why it doesn't work with postgres

Thanx

by Sidney Amorim -

Olá / Hello

Grande Mod, Leo, parabéns.

Estou com problemas na impressão do certificados emitidos... pode ser um erro na minha impressora, mas não sei ao certo, ela imprime todas as imagens corretamente, já os textos não.

Esta é a mensagem que ela imprime numa outra folha:

ERROR: typecheck
OFFENDING COMMAND: forall

STACK:

{_pdfCIDFontStatus --not-- {--pop-- false --exit--}--if--}
/ df
true
false
/ df
[(XKLAAA+FreeSerifBold)]
/df
/pdf-df