Wiki Locking When in Edit Mode

Wiki Locking When in Edit Mode

by Michael J. Ryan -
Number of replies: 2

One of things I wish the wiki editor had and would really like to see implemented is for the editor to lock the wiki when someone clicks the Edit link so that it can't be edited by someone else at the same time.  As it stands now (in 1.7) that doesn't happen and so a person may lose a significant amount of work because someone else has edited the wiki and saved their changes before the first person finishes what s/he is doing.  It would also be nice if there was a way to automatically update (or save) the wiki when it is being edited -- just in case a person forgets (as I did) to save changes periodically.  I lost nearly two hours of work because someone else in my group made a smalll change in our wiki.  Teaches me a lesson, but also prompted this "wish list item."

Mike Ryan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael J. Ryan

Re: Agreeing to the need: Wiki Locking When in Edit Mode

by Tricia Kellison -
The absence of this feature makes this Wiki almost unusable for students. I know it is common, but this is a place where Moodle can differentiate itself.
In reply to Michael J. Ryan

Re: Wiki Locking When in Edit Mode

by lea virgile -
I have the same problem : I don't work directly on the wiki anymore, because of the risk losing all my work. Lot's of troubles !

But there is something I don't understand : in the Moodle demo site (http://demo.moodle.org/), if I try to edit a wiki page which is already edited by somebody else, then the page is locked and I get the following message : "This page is being edited by Student Demo. They began editing at (day, date, hour) and still have the window open as of (date, hour).
You need to wait for them to finish before you can edit this page."

How does this feature work in the demo, and not in "my" moodle (1.7) ? Does anybody knows if there is a way to get this ?

Somebody asked a similar question in january (Wiki Wipeout Due to Posting Collisions), seems to have no answer, although it's a main feature, no ?

Thanxs