Use of the term "course"

Use of the term "course"

by Lindsay Magnus -
Number of replies: 1
As one sets up a course you can change the terms for administrator or student to be one that is more specific to your needs.

I would like to know if it would be possible to able to change the term "course". The reason being is that we often use a moodle course as an application system. A potential student must login to this course and based on the information they provide they are then selected to attend a standard course.

The trick comes in when the user "registers" for the application course, a confirmation message pops up confirming if the user would like to register for this "course". Now we all know what that means but it has created a bit of confusion with our users. Its kind of funny for them - they need to register for a - course - to fill in an application form for another "course".

The problem could be with our choice of set-up and i welcome any suggestions as to a better way to achieve this, but the simplest solution that i can find, is simply to replace the term "course" with something more generic. The term module has already been used for another moodle component and i can't think of anything in that line.

I guess i could edit the entries in the lang files, but this would apply the changes to all the courses.

It would be nice to be able to set which word is used to describe the "course" in the course settings, much the same way as the admin/student terms are variable.

What do you all think, or, like i mentioned ... is there a better way to do this?

Cheers
Linds
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lindsay Magnus

Re: Use of the term "course"

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You can change the wording in your moodle System with a local language version and add other terms for course.