Grades not being recorded using htm extension file. more details

Grades not being recorded using htm extension file. more details

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 21
Hi,
I am still getting this error where a quiz linked with htm extension causes an error when check button is clicked and consequently grades are not saved. Here's a blow-by-blow explanation:
1. my originally produced and uploaded to moodle jcl file, with html extension worked OK. That is, results saved to gradebook and am taken back to course page. I then wanted to change some parts of the quiz (e..g. background color or from fill-in-the-blanks to dropdown format).
2. On my computer files I reformated the quiz as per (1). Saved it with the same name, and re-uploaded to moodle files. (deleted existing files on moodle first).
3. linked hotpot quiz to htm extension of newly formatted file. Did quiz and got error when clicked "check" button- results not saved to gradebook, and can't get back to course page.
4. Re-linked file to jcl extension. Did quiz. Results saved, and taken back to course page.
4. Went back to file on computer. Renamed it, and uploaded it again. (first deleting existing file on moodle).
5. Linked it to htm file and did quiz. Could not save results to gradebook- same result as (3).
6. Changed the extension link to jcl and could successfully save results and was returned to course page.
Then tried another type of quiz. Jmatch.
1.My originally uploaded jmatch quiz worked OK and grades recorded and was returned to coursepage.
2. Wanted to change the background color, so reformatted on my computer file and saved with same name.
3. uploaded reformatted jmt quiz (deleted existing file on moodle first).
4. linked to hml file. Result was the same error as i got with Jcl above. When i re-linked to Jmt extension, then did the quiz, results saved OK and taken back to course page.

All reformatted files made with latest hot potatoes version (6.2). Is there some conflict going on here? The original files were all made with 6.0 version of hotpotatoes, but the reformatted files when made with 6.2 are causing the problem?

Sorry, but I have no technical expertise, and find this a frustrating situation, especially for students who take a quiz and find that their results are able to be saved.

Hope you can help. Moodle version is 1.7.1

Cheers
Robert
Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: Grades not being recorded using htm extension file. more details

by robert maran -
Hi,
I made a new quiz using hotpotatoes 6.2.0.8 and uploaded it to moodle, linked it to the hml file-same result- an error message appears at the bottom of the browser and grades are not recorded and can't get back to the course page. Uploaded the same quiz to another server and same result. On both servers, linking and saving using the hotpotatoes extension work fine.

Robert
In reply to robert maran

by robert maran -
Hi,
think I solved the problem. When I reset the file to source file and then uploaded it- it works fine with the hml extension. ( I had made some exercises with the plug-in "find it" and maybe forgot to revert back the source file. Hopefully things will now work OK. Thanks for taking the time to work on this problem.
Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Glenys Hanson -

Hello there,

I'm having problems with scoring, too. Old exercises work normally in Moodle 1.6.4+, but when I regenerate them with Hot Potatoes 6.2.8 they no longer do so and new exercises don't either.

I've attempted to connect to your site, Gordon, http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/16/ms/login/index.php but I've forgotten the password and though I've it says an email has been sent with a new password I haven't received it after several hours.

I can't show you old/new examples on my site as it's part of what's not open to the students yet.

I can show you the problem with a new exercise here: The Battle against Colds and 'Flu: a Self-Treatment Guide: A The exercise works perfectly as I intend (I've made several modifications to the source code) but the scores are not saved. It's based on the html file.

On the other hand, in this version based on the .jqz file, the scores are recorded but it doesn't work as I intended (lines are visible, there is a pop-up feedback box, etc.): The Battle against Colds and 'Flu: a Self-Treatment Guide: B

The code validates.

The enrollment key is: M1QV34

Cheers,
Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Martin Holmes -
Hi Glenys,

There have been substantial changes to the HotPot source files since the beginning of the year -- they're listed here:

http://hotpot.uvic.ca/v6_bugs.htm

I don't know exactly how Gordon's code works, but it seems likely that one of these changes has caused the problem. If you don't have the latest HotPot module installed in Moodle, that would be one thing to start with, because I think Gordon has updated his code to take account of the changes.

Cheers,
Martin

by Martin Holmes -
Actually, looking again at the situation, I wonder if Gordon's module hasn't yet been updated. The latest HotPot module we can find for Moodle is dated 2006120100 (presumably December 1), and the template (=source file) changes to HotPot occurred after that. We're actually looking at this in our office, because we're running Moodle 1.7+, and we're going to have some staff running Hot Potatoes exercises on it.

Gordon, if there's anything we can do to help get this fixed, let us know.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yikes, there goes my weekend!

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,
I was able to access your quizzes and confirm that the htm file produced the following error:
Error: I[q][3][ii] has no properties
Source File: http://moodle.univ-fcomte.fr/mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js
Line: 1410

This is the same error (slightly different line number) that Robert got on his Moodle 1.7.1 site.

In order to test the quizzes on my server, I would be grateful if you could send source files to me, or attach them to a post to this forum.

many thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gordon,
Now I feel guilty about your weekend. I'll try and signal problems on a Monday in the future. wink

Here are the files.

I still haven't received an email from your server http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/16/ms/login/index.php with a new password.

Glenys

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Glenys,
thanks very much for sending the quizzes. I opened up the jqz file with JQuiz from Hot Potatoes 6.2.0.8 and generated a standard htm file. I was relieved to find that this htm version of the quiz ran perfectly fine on the standard Moodle 1.6 and Moodle 1.7 that I have on my server.
Combined with the tests I did on Robert's quiz, I feel I can confidently say that standard htm files from Hot Potatoes 6.2.0.8 work fine on standard Moodle installations.

Over the weekend I will try to generate another htm version of Glenys's quiz using the modified templates that were included in her zip file. Glenys, are these modified HP 6.0 templates, or modified HP 6.2 templates?

I am also hoping to hear from Robert whether he has been able to update his Moodle site, or at least his HotPot module, and if doing so has allowed him to run standard htm versions of quizzes generated with HP 6.2.

best regards to everyone!
Gordon

P.S. Glenys, sorry about the email problems on my server. Until I can fix the email, please use the "guestteacher" account to access the courses on my server. Thanks!

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon,
These are 6.2.0.8 source files. I remodified them this morning to be absolutely sure which version I was using.
I don't know exactly when there started to be a problem but fairly recently.
In the past there was no problem with my modified source file exercises on Moodle. They worked as I wanted and the scores were recorded.
I'll go and put examples on your site.
Hope you spend some of your weekend away from your computer.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon,
I've put old and new versions of the same exercise on your server, and guess what? The new version Exercise 1 - New works perfectly on your server (the grades are recorded) - but not on mine (the scores are not recorded).

Naturally, I'm not the administrator of my university server, what should I be telling them to do? They refuse to upgrade Moodle until the summer holidays. It's 1.6.4+ at the moment. I assume they should install the latest Hot Pot module, if they haven't already. What is it?

Cheers,
Glenys

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Glenys,
If it is not possible to update your whole Moodle 1.6 site, please ask the administrators to update the HotPot module using this zip file on my server.

If it is not possible to update the HotPot module, please ask the administrators to make the following change to "hotpot-full.js":
  1. open "mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js" with a text editor
  2. locate the following line (around line 290):
    JQuiz[7] = true;
  3. change the above line to the following:
    JQuiz[7] = false;
  4. save the modified file
As you can see it is not a big change, and will take a matter of seconds to implement, as long as you can find a friendly administrator smile

In order to ensure that the new javascript file is used, it may be necessary to "force-refresh" your browser (Ctrl-F5), or you can use the little trick I suggested to Josep a while back:

Robert, if you are worried about updating your Moodle/HotPot module, please try the above modification and let us know if that helps you smile

BTW Glenys, I'm sorry to have worried you with my whinge about my weekend. When I wrote that, I was facing some seemingly mountainous tasks a work. But since then, things have moved along pretty fast, so I can enjoy my family life too. Thanks again for your concern!

all the best
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
Just to let you know (any one else who may have experienced) the same problems with Moodle 1.7.1 and hot potatoes 6.2.x that Gordon's fix of the code works fine and grades are recorded on to the gradebook and user is taken back to course page.
Thanks,
Robert
open "mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js" with a text editor
locate the following line (around line 290):
JQuiz[7] = true;
change the above line to the following:
JQuiz[7] = false;
save the modified file
In reply to robert maran

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon and everyone,

I've uploaded a new Short answer JQuiz to your site: 30a_michael.htm It's a based on the html file and the scores are recorded with no problem both on my university Moodle site and on yours. To see it you can log in as a teacher using the following information:

* Username: guestteacher
* Password: hotpotv21

I put it there because of the problems I've been having with video Flash players in Firefox.

What follows is a copy of what I've already posted on the Hot Potatoes Users List so sorry to everyone on both lists for cross posting, but I thought maybe some people on this forum might be able to suggest a better video Flash player.

" By going to Stan Bogdanovs 's Flash video tutorial and downloading
FlowPlayer. I've partially solved my problem. That is, with FlowPlayer the player releases the focus to the navigator in both Firefox and IE, but it has a number of gadgets I find unnecessary, a Flash security message gets shown when I open the page and I can't work out how to stop the video from starting
immediately. (I prefered the look and feel of the first player I used
before: Fash Video (FLV) Player, Example: Michael.)
This is the code I pasted in:
<object
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="FlowPlayer.swf" width="320"
height="280" id="FlowPlayer"><param name="movie"
value="FlowPlayer.swf" /><param name="autoPlay" value="false" /><param
name="quality" value="high" /><param name="scale" value="noScale"
/><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars"
value="config={videoFile: '30a_michael.flv'}" /></object>"

Can anyone suggest a better player?

Cheers,
Glenys

By the way, I couldn't access your site with IE, Gordon. Am the only one?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi again,

Thanks to Stan Bogdanov's speedy help, I've changed the code to:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="FlowPlayer.swf" width="320" height="280" id="FlowPlayer"><param name="movie" value="FlowPlayer.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="scale" value="noScale" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="config={videoFile: '30a_michael.flv', autoPlay: false}" /></object>

and now the video doesn't autostart.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Glenys,
thanks very much for the lead about the alternative mp3 player.

I think it could help with problems that have been reported at my university, with JMatch viewed on Firefox for Mac. If any of the right hand items contain the standard Moodle player, then it becomes impossible to "let go" of the item, once you have started to Drag-and-Drop it.

Also, I have tracked the cause of the strange "ignored" values, when administering JQuiz html files made with Hot Potatoes 6.2. I have created a proper fix, and will release it once I have tested it further this weekend.

I am also investigating JCloze on Safari problems that we are having on the machines in the Mac classroom at my university. Probably this is the same issue that has been reported in the past by Joseph R. and Robert M. I hope I can get to the bottom of it.

out for now
Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello,
I've been told by a student that the 30a_michael.htm exercise doesn't work on my university site (Moodle 1.6.4) in IE 6.

Could someone test if 30a_michael.htm works in IE 6 on Gordon's test site (Moodle 1.6.5)?
To see it you can log in as a teacher using the following information:

* Username: guestteacher
* Password: hotpotv21

Is there anything I can do to make it work in IE 6? I can't just tell my students to upgrade to IE 7 or use Firefox because many of them have no control over the browsers installed in their media center or cyber café.

Cheers,

by Martin Holmes -
Hi there,

It seems to freeze on "opening page". It's waiting for the media file to download, but that never seems to finish. It doesn't seem to me like a browser problem. What kind of media file is it?

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by Gordon Bateson -
I agree with Martin. The problem doesn't appear to be caused by the browser, or HP or Moodle. Rather, it seems that the "Flow Player" player is searching for something else once it finishes the movie.

I created a page with just the player and the movie, in which you can see the player behaves the same even when there is nothing else on the page.

Perhaps we need to tweak the setting passed to the player?

by Martin Holmes -
Ah, that's a relief!

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to robert maran

by Martin Holmes -
Hi there,

It would help to know what the error is. If you're using a good browser such as Firefox, you can use the Error Console to get a useful error report.

Cheers,
Martin