Backup Linux restore to Windows

Backup Linux restore to Windows

by Dan Thompson -
Number of replies: 3

Okay, I've got a Linux Moodle box that I'm trying to backup courses from and then restore them to a Windows Moodle box.  All my backups from January / February work just fine, however whenever I try to restore something from March forward they hang right after the -Creating Gradebook item in the restoration process.  It doesn't actually give an error, it just takes forever, and then displays the normal completed successfully screen however there is no completed successfully statement and no button at the bottom to continue on in to the course.  I hope that makes sense.  By completed the "completed successfully screen" I mean the screen it gives you after importing where it lists all the steps it took during the process.... which is usually all followed by "Restore Completed Successfully" and a button.

So the obvious question is, "what did you change between the end of Feb and the beginning of Mar" and the short answer is I have no idea.  The Linux box has WAY too many Admins and I was not involved in the creation or the maintanence of this box.... only the migration from the Linux server to a Windows Server.

Any thoughts or things I should look for in general when migrating between the two platforms?

Both servers are running Moodle 1.7.  The Linux Server is a LAMP box as per the directions outlined on this site and the Windows server is a Windows 2003 / MSSQL 2005 server as per the directions on this site.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Thompson

Svar: Backup Linux restore to Windows

by Alf Martin Johnsen -

Hmm, I have exactly the same problem.

Restore get stuck when transferring the backup from a linux (LAMP) installation to a Win2003 with MSSQL. I tried an upgrade of both installations to the same installation_files dated april 15., but the restore still hangs at the Gradebook-part of restore. Anyone who knows?

Alf Martin

In reply to Alf Martin Johnsen

Re: Svar: Backup Linux restore to Windows

by Dan Thompson -

I've have actually tried the same thing, with the same results.  I have found that I can create a brand new course on the LAMP box and then add a few random things to it, back it up, and it will restore just fine.  If I then start importing stuff into the new course on the LAMP box from some of the older courses, it starts failing.  I haven't been able to narrow down exaclty which component it is that's causing this, but I'm pretty sure that its some piece of the course.

It's very frustrating as I can restore courses from February as we apparently had not started utilizing whatever it is that's causing it to hang.  Very strange.