Using a grading sheet rubric in the text entry area

Using a grading sheet rubric in the text entry area

by Miss E Edwards -
Number of replies: 3
I have a Moodle grading question! We have instructors who want to use a rubric like a grading sheet for grading in Moodle - they're grading separate concepts which will add up to a cumulative whole grade for the assignment. The best solution we've hit on so far is to create the rubric in another program, then copy and paste it into the grading interface. Any ideas from your instructors? Anything you can pass our way would be helpful!

Thanks,
Elizabeth Edwards
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miss E Edwards

Re: Using a grading sheet rubric in the text entry area

by John Isner -
Have you looked at the Exercise activity? It will do exactly what you want.
In reply to John Isner

by Miss E Edwards -
This looks interesting; it's not a module we've implemented so far. Are there any comparative benefits other than the rubric over the assignment module? My main concern would be the lack of consistency of labelling, etc, between assignments and exercises, even though both are the same kinds of things.

Elizabeth
In reply to Miss E Edwards

by John Isner -
Exercise is a standard Moodle activity, so there's no need to install or do anything special. Exercise helps students develop a critical eye toward their own work by making the Assessment criteria visible and requiring students to assess their own work before turning it in. The teacher then assesses the work using the identical assessment criteria.

The grade for an Exercise has two components: (1) the quality of the student's assessment and (2) the teacher's assessment of the work. Note that component (1) is a function of how well the student's assessment matches the teacher's assessment. If you give component (1) zero weight, you will effectively be grading the Exercise just like an ordinary Assignment -- i.e., the final grade will be for the work alone.

So why would a teacher ever use an Assignment when Exercise is available? A cynical answer would be that coming up with good, objective assessment criteria is hard work.

I don't understand the labeling issue.