Nwiki for Moodle 1.7 and 1.8 new version March 2007

Nwiki for Moodle 1.7 and 1.8 new version March 2007

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 22
Hi there,
Pigui and the rest of dfwikiteam have been working very hard fixing bugs and some deep changes in the code (still coming about, hold on Dimitry!)
I realized that some bugs like UTF stuff and other things that we worked out haven't been released cause we didn't build a "stable" version and lauched it.
So here it is.
The new distribution comes into two files, the actual module ina zip file as usual and another file with the lang pack that in Moodle 1.7 is stores outside of the moodle installation dir and goes into moodledata.
So, the files are here as usual.
Cheers smile
Ludo
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: Nwiki for Moodle 1.7 and 1.8 new version March 2007

by Juan Marín -
WONDERFUL!!!!
I tested it and the UTF problems are gone forever (I hope) CONGRATULATIONS to wikiTeam.

PS: the only bug I find now, is the PDF export (a very interesting option but optional) : it not recognices pages edited with HTML editor, if the pages are edited with dfwiki markup you can select it to export to pdf but the pages edited with html editor don't appear in the selection panel...

In reply to Juan Marín

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
I'm glad UTF problems are gone..
We are working with a new version of the wikibook... when is finished the PDF export will be recoded and the HTMLEditor pages included in the filter... just hold on a litle wink

by Juan Marín -
PERFECT!!. I could wait, no problems.

By the way, the wiki format curses crash...
I had one course with this format (only to test it, don't production) and works fine whit 1.6.3 No utf.
After a UTF migration and upgrade to 1.7.2 with Nwiki (march version) the contents are lost and I couldnt use this format (always "No content" page. Don't save changes, and don't let change to html editor)

I don't care to see if the problem arose whit UTF migration in 1.6.3 or when I upgrade to 1.7. Anyway it must be tested/fixed by the wikiTeam
In reply to Juan Marín

by Bill Schreiter -

I installed the new moodle 1.8 and nwiki (March) and for the first time in weeks was able to import my courses from version 1.7 with nwiki.

They came in and the only problem seems to be the way the wiki pages line up once the blocks are activated.  The push over to the right by about 3 cm and the Discuss tab is empty with the word discuss in red displayed below the tabs in about the center.

Any suggestions?

In reply to Bill Schreiter

by Jonathan Lewis -
I have just installed the latest nwiki into 1.8 and was really excited that it worked - I had never got it to work properly in 1.7.

However, I have just the same problem with the appearance of the tabs:

Attachment wikitabs.JPG
In reply to Bill Schreiter

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
The fact that import engine worked has more to do with this latest version rather than the use of 1.8 as system...
We'll look at the "discuss" issue. thanks
Ludo

by Bill Schreiter -

The  other part of the problem is the way that the blocks in the wiki push into the wiki page area.

The block itself expands by about 3 cm beyond the width of the title of the block making it almost twice as wide.

At the same time the wiki content is pushed about 2cm into the wiki "page" area resulting in a very narrow area for content.

Attachment block_issue_4.jpg

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Can you please maintain the most recent version in the Moodle contrib CVS?

http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/contrib/plugins/mod/wiki/

That's the code I've been reviewing.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jordi Piguillem -
Hi Martin

I've just updated the repository.

We have another project in SF called DFWiki. Newbies work there and I supervise their code. When we have something good, I syncronize moodle cvs with it.

You can also take a look to our code here:
http://dfwiki.cvs.sourceforge.net/dfwiki/moodle/

DFWikiteam, Pigui

In reply to Jordi Piguillem

by Heinz Krettek -
Hi Pigui,

Ludo told me to ask you my questions about nwiki. It seems i do not work with the correct version; i tried to download the latest nwki for 1.7 installation (wiki_1.7_rev2007032801.zip). Is this the correct file for nwiki. after install i saw the following setting up an wiki:
H1 -- moodle1 -- dfwikis -- name of my wiki.

i extracted the lang_pack file from ludo in my moodledata and get a mixed view some fields are correct german others are englisch. german letters are not setup correct.

Please send my the actual nWiki version and the lang pack. I will delete the installed wiki modules and install your files.

thanks in advance

Heinz
In reply to Heinz Krettek

by Jordi Piguillem -
Hi,

I'll review the lang file and I'll update it.

DFWikiteam, Pigui

by Heinz Krettek -
Hi Jordi,

if i can give you assistance send me a mail.

cheers H1

by Heinz Krettek -
Hi Pingui,

i look for a tip to handle tables in nWiki, whats´the best way to insert a table and resize it if wanted.

thanks in advance

Heinz
In reply to Heinz Krettek

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -

by Heinz Krettek -
Hi Ludo,

i found the site you mentioned, but i don´t see the HOWTO. What is to do if i want to insert a table. Something like klick x than klick y.

Best wishes

Heinz

by Tim Allen -

Has anyone tried to install this module on IIS 5.0?

On our IIS server it appears we can not use the standard wiki - it doesn't throw any errors until someone tried to click on an already set-up wiki and then we get a "Page not found...404" error.  On looking through this forum I noted that everyone who has had this problem in the past were on IIS! 

So I thought I would try the nwiki module instead, hoping that it would work on IIS.  It doesn't seem to - it installs but then freezes with the message "PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in E:\inetsrv\moodle17\mod\wiki\locallib.php on line 2238".  sad

Does this mean that neither of the wiki modules - the present standard one and the soon-to-be standard one nwiki - work on IIS?  black eye

PS It is not my decision to use IIS!  I prefer *nixes but that is the decision of the IT department for my school!

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
wops...
IIS5.0 ... this thing works ?¿?¿ wink
OK we will try to install nwiki in 1.8 under IIS5.0 and fix the bugs, give us a week and half ( due easter vacation ) and you'll have a wiki to play with wink
cheers
ludo

by Tim Allen -
Hi Ludo,

I understand that this is a tall order! Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

By the way, that error is happening on Moodle 1.7.2, I haven't tried it in 1.8 yet.

Tim.

by Tim Allen -
Whoops, I am embarrassed. blush

I found out that the problem with the standard module is that I when I added a new wiki, I neither entered a "Page Name" nor chose an Initial Page. As long as I entered a page name it worked!

I will check whether this was the same problem with the nwiki module tomorrow - maybe it wasn't anything to do with IIS... (is that possible? wink )

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Tim Allen -
Nwiki is still not installing properly on IIS 6.0: sad

(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_modules WHERE id = '-1'

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_modules ( NAME, VERSION, CRON, LASTCRON, SEARCH, VISIBLE ) VALUES ( 'dfwiki', 2006052502, 0, 0, '', 0 )

(mysql): SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID()
PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in E:\inetsrv\moodle17\mod\wiki\locallib.php on line 2248 sad

by Alex Chapin -
I tried to replace the wiki module shipped with Moodle 1.8 (3/31/2007) with NWiki (wiki_1.7_rev2007032801.zip). I replaced all existing wiki files with nwiki files in the blocks, course, lang and mod directories.

Then I logged into Moodle as admin and the database tables were updated. However the update did not seem to be complete since the "setting up module tables" did not print out a continue button.

Also tried to rebuild from scratch, dropping existing table and running install procedure with new NWiki files, but database table creation still could not get beyond "setting up module tables"

In reply to Alex Chapin

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Alex,
instead of "replace" the wiki module , have you tried to delete the old files and then to copy the nwiki files?
Cheers
Ludo