Can we use Groups?

Can we use Groups?

by Linda Robinson -
Number of replies: 6
Hi. Does anyone know if we can use groups in questionnaires? I am trying to conduct a ballot but only certain faculty are able to vote for certain areas. Thus, I was going to put them into groups and then I was hoping that only certain groups would "see" their questionnaire. Will this work or should I use a Choice or something else?
Thanks,
Linda
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Linda Robinson

Re: Can we use Groups?

by Nicolas Sicard -
Hi,

I tried to use the separate groupes mode with one course evaluation feedback, but it seems it doesn't work as I hoped. In "separate groups" mode, a new menu appears that contains the different groups, but I can't get statistics for each groups, only global. Maybe the fact that our questionnaire is anonymous is the problem, i didn't try with non anonymous feedbacks.

We would love to use the same feedback (in anonymous mode) for different groups then be abble to extract either global statistics or per group statistics.

Thanks for that great module !

Nicolas.
In reply to Nicolas Sicard

by Nicolas Sicard -
Answer to my own question : separate groups mode works for non anonymous feedbacks.

New question : is there a simple way (a few changes in the php code) to make it work for anonymous feedbacks ?

Nicolas.
In reply to Nicolas Sicard

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think that being able to sort by groups is important - even with anonymous feedback responses. The concern was that it reduces anonymity. I am preparing to start a general Moodle discussion (i.e. in the general forum) on what it means when we say that an activity is anonymous in Moodle and how that should be handled on the database level. The change in the feedback code would not be trivial but it is not insurmountable either. I think we just need to think through what we mean by anonymous.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Nicolas Sicard -
Hi,

Maybe we could consider two different levels of anonymity. The first one would be complete anonymity where no log is created when a feedback is completed by a user and userid is not recorded. The second one would be relative anonymity where log is created and userid is recorded but never displayed. The second level would allow filtering possibilities on different populations (groups), the first one wouldn't. Teachers may choose between the two levels.

*update* Just seen the documentation @ http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Feedback. Great grand sourire How far is your hack ?

nico
In reply to Linda Robinson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Regarding Groups and the Feedback module. (Usign Moodle 1.7). If a feedback activity has been set up as Groups: Separate:

1. Teacher can conduct a statistical analysis on All or separate groups
  2. Students can only view the analysis for All groups (i.e. the whole class)
  3. Non-editing teacher ("Tutor") enroled in one group has the same rights as Teacher (can view analysis for All or separate groups, including groups he does not belong to).

Behavior #3 does not work as expected. For instance, in one course I have enroled tutor1 as non-editing teacher, put tutor1 in Group A, and over-ridden rights so that non-editing teachers have "access all groups" permission set to Prohibit.

When I log in as tutor1, in a forum which is set to separate groups, I can only view the posts of my own group (A). This is OK. See screenshot 1.

However, in a feedback activity set to separate groups, I can view the responses of all groups. This is not OK. See screenshot 2.

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg