Flashcard module add-on: Glossary Flashcard Module

Flashcard module add-on: Glossary Flashcard Module

by Jacob Williams -
Number of replies: 27
I have begun work on a module that displays flashcards from a selected glossary and tracks progress based on user feedback in a cardbox fashion. I have a functional prototype, with plenty of obvious features still lacking. If enough people show interest, I'll clean it up and make it available for download.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacob Williams

Re: Flashcard module add-on: Glossary Flashcard Module

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, please: students can create their own courserelated Flashcards in a glossary!  

I saw jMemorize.org and wished to have that as a student activity in Moodle. It is based on the Leitner principle:

A flashcard or flash card is a piece of paper that is used in schools as a learning aid (mainly in English-speaking countries). Flashcards can bear vocabulary, historical dates, formulas, etc. The purpose of using flashcards is memorization. You write a question on each card (and an answer overleaf), test yourself on them, and sort them into groups as you learn, according to your performance.

by Matt Campbell -
Yes! Please share your work with us. Flashcards from glossary terms would be a great addition to Moodle!

by Heinz Krettek -
Hi Jacob,

my pupils an my kids ar candidates for your flashcard module. Please continue your affords, can i give you support?

greetings from germany

Heinz

by Jacob Williams -
I am almost ready to upload something here. This is the first time I have built a module. I've found answers to most of my questions on the forum. But I have a couple of them left.

For an activity module, where do I put the language file? It seems that the only place I can put it is in the root lang folder, but this seems wrong. Is there a way to put it in /mod/modulename/lang?

by Matt Campbell -
No, you'll want to put it in /lang, just as you originally thought. You should give it the same name as your activity (ie flashcard.php).

By putting it in /lang/YOUR_LANG, other moodlers can translate it and create lang files for their languages.

Thanks,
Matt

by Sandy Norton -

This is something that I can defintely use.  it sounds wonderful  I look forward to seeing more.

Sandy

by Jacob Williams -
Attached is my glossary flashcard module in progress. I have not tested this thoroughly, so do not install it on important production servers.

To install you should just unzip the file into your mod directory and copy the language file to your language directory.

I'll try to help with questions and installation problems as fast as I am able.

Jacob

by john kuti -
Dear Jacob, are you using Moodle 1.8? My sandbox version at home is still 1.7 and I get the error message: No glossary entries found. I'm keen to test this module, I think the idea is an important one... but I guess it makes more sense to look at in a later Moodle build.
In reply to john kuti

by Jacob Williams -
I'm using 1.7, haven't tried 1.8 yet.

I'll set up a fresh sandbox and see if I can duplicate that message.

Had you already selected a glossary with items in it?

-Jacob

by Matt Campbell -
I'm using 1.8, but I imagine that this will happen in other versions of Moodle also.

The 'No entries found' error looks to be caused by the table mdl_glossaryflashcard (or substitute your prefix if different).

I was having the same issue, and added the following field:

mode varchar(10) NOT NULL default 'normal'

Also, in /glossaryflashcard/view.php, I changed $cm->instance to $cm->id on line 233.

I've attached a screenshot of an issue that I'd like to figure out - when the definition is too long, it overflows. I'd like to have it resize the text or the box.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachment glossary_flashcard_overflow.JPG

by ben walsh -

I truly appreciate your work. I had the reeived the following message after attempting installation:

Notice: Undefined variable: category in /home/newvisi/public_html/moodle/mod/glossaryflashcard/view.php on line 118

Unknown column 'lt.mode' in 'where clause'

SELECT score, count(*) boxcount FROM mdl_glossaryflashcard_cardbox_entries lt WHERE lt.userid = 2 AND lt.mode = 'normal' GROUP BY lt.score ORDER BY lt.score ASC

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/newvisi/public_html/moodle/mod/glossaryflashcard/view.php on line 142
Unknown column 'lt.mode' in 'where clause'

SELECT lt.entryid FROM mdl_glossaryflashcard_cardbox_entries lt WHERE lt.userid = 2 AND lt.mode = 'normal' ORDER BY lt.timemodified DESC LIMIT 0

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/newvisi/public_html/moodle/mod/glossaryflashcard/view.php on line 153
Unknown column 'c.mode' in 'on clause'

SELECT e.* FROM mdl_glossary_entries e LEFT JOIN mdl_glossaryflashcard_cardbox_entries c ON c.entryid = e.id AND c.userid = 2 AND c.mode = 'normal' WHERE (e.glossaryid = 1 or sourceglossaryid = 1) AND e.id NOT IN (0) ORDER BY c.score ASC, rand(), c.timemodified ASC

by Jacob Williams -
I fixed the couple of bugs that were quickly pointed out in my first upload. I have tested this in a clean install of 1.8 and it seems to work fine.

As far as the size of text in the display of the term description, I am open to suggestions. In my use, I am doing simple Greek/English vocabulary for a language course, so the current size is always fine. The display of the card is controlled by the stylesheet and can be modified for different types of terms/descriptions.

If necessary we could define styles with different text sizes for different lengths of descriptions and assign appropriate classes to the description div depending on the number of characters. If that sounds like a good solution I can implement it.

by Matt Campbell -
For now, I've changed the CSS to display text at 100%, instead of 300-400%.

I have several instructors using it at this time and they absolutely love it.

Thanks,
Matt

by John LaGuardia -
I'm new to Moodle and using Moodle 1.7 (the MAMP installation on a Mac). I'm having trouble getting the module installed. I don't see the module listed in the Activities available.

I suspect I'm not putting the files in the right place. I seem to have several folders called "moodle" and "lang".

I put the glossary flashcard folder here:
/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/moodle17/moodle/mod/glossaryflashcard

Is that right?

As for the files in the lang folder of the glossaryflashcard folder, where should those go?

/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/moodle17/moodle/lang

or

/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/moodle17/lang

?

Thanks!

by Jürg Hoerner -
I find this very interesting. Because I looked for such a module. Where can I download it and test it?

When you have a version I can test, I am very interested in it. I made with students a lot ofquestions in filemaker.

If there is a possibility to print cards. Question Answer side by side that would be very nice because Students like to work with cards not only online.

For me it is a kind of knowledge base.

Thanks very much.
In reply to Jürg Hoerner

by Jacob Williams -
The download link is in my previous post.

There is no option to print cards. That might be something easier to do from another program after exporting your glossary to XML.

Not sure about Filemaker either. This module is designed specifically to quiz students on vocabulary from a glossary in Moodle. Although it shouldn't be hard to make an XML file for import if you have your data in Filemaker.

by Jürg Hoerner -
I find the module very good. My students would like to print cards for learning. Is there possibility to print cards. I didn't found.

On A4 paper, four or six cards.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
category____________ ¦
left the Question...... ¦ on the right side the answer
.............................¦
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They can cut and use it for learning in the train.

by Martin Hartnett -

Hi,

Thanks – I love the flashcard module. I have 'something wrong' with ITS display on my V1.8.1 site. While, I can open the index. php form, Im afraid I’m lost after that!  

Can anyone let me know how to fix up the problem with flashcard display? Picture attached!

Thanks,

Martin

Attachment image003.jpg
In reply to Martin Hartnett

by Jacob Williams -
Can you tell me what web browser and OS you are using? I can try to replicate it and tweak the css to make it look better.

by Martin Hartnett -

Hi Jacob,

I an really very sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this - I hope you are still there!

The display problem occurs on IE (7) - firefox (2) is fine. Im running my 1.8.1 site  on Win Xp SP2.

Also, can you advise what parm to change to reduce font size for the flashcard 'definition" - some of mine can go to 20+ words and bleed into the "I knew it/missed it" area on the form.

thanks, and again I am very sorry for the delay in getting back to you ! blush

Martin 

by Jacob Williams -
There are various styles in the styles.php file. The Definition is controlled by these two style blocks:

#flashcard #flashcardAnswer {
padding: 0;
width: 100%;
height: 40ex;
background: #000;
display: none;
margin: 0;
}
#flashcard #flashcardAnswer p {
padding-top: 2ex;
font-size: 350%;
color: #FFF;
margin: 0
}

by Martin Hartnett -

Hi Jacob,

thanks for your info and Ive updated my font size

Also my display problem with IE 1.7 goes away when I  reduced 'width' in the 'flashcard .flashcardAction block' from 50%  to 49%.

You'll have guessed Im not a php coder, but while its not too elegant, it appears to work for IE and firefox.

#flashcard .flashcardAction {
   width: 49%;
   height: 10ex;
   float: left;
   font-size: 200%;
   border: none;

}

Martin

PS - fantastic activity - thank you!

by Jacob Williams -
Hmm.. IE 7 was working fine for me at 50%... maybe different fonts. I tend to use Cardo since it has nice Greek support.

If you've looked at my source code, you'll know that elegance is not my biggest forte smile

by Jesus Ramirez -
Hey, Is there a newer version of the module that I
might have missed. I am getting this text for the activity name modulenameplural . I placed the language files in the root/lang folder but it still doesn't reflect the correct activity name. I don't know where else to place the files. Is there another lang folder somewhere else or something else I have to do.

by Ida Byrd-Hill -
could you send the download to me? I would like to use the glossary to build flashcards

In reply to Ida Byrd-Hill

by Alick Brown -
I would also like to try this, for Moodle 1.9 - is there a more recent download than 0.1.1?
Also - is there anywhere an example of it working I could look at?
Thanks...