Hot Potatoes rendering problems in Moodle

Hot Potatoes rendering problems in Moodle

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 4
I'm having some strange problems with my Hot Potatoes exercises when I use them as Moodle activities. The problem is that they are rendered rather differently when they are uploaded via the HotPot module from when they are seen as regular web pages. Here are some screen shots. In the following screen shot you can see the distance between two parts of the instructions block in a web page generated from JCloze:

hp_web

In this other screen shot, you can see how it is visualized when it is uploaded via the HotPot module:

hp_moodle

The code I'm using to create the instructions is:

<div align="left"><strong>Fill in the blanks with the appropriate word. In some cases you might have to add articles and/or prepositions to make the expression fit (e.g. "all of the")</strong>
<hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"><table width="100%" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="4"></hr>
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#CCCCCC"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><strong>Instructions for gap-fill exercises</strong>: Fill in all the gaps, then press 'Check' (at the bottom of this page) to check whether your answers are correct. You can use the 'Hint' button (also at the bottom of this page) to get a free letter if an answer is giving you trouble. If you want to exit before finishing, click on the 'give up' button in the upper part of the screen. Your score will not be stored.</span></td>
</tr>
</table></div>

Does anybody have any idea about what is going wrong? Why should the rendering be so different?

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Hot Potatoes rendering problems in Moodle

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Josep,
if the layout is causing you problems, then the short term solution is to use the html version of the quiz in Moodle.

Would it be possible to send me the complete source file, or upload it to my test server - http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/16/ms

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Gordon.

Martin Holmes told me in a private message that the most likely reason I had these problems was that the code was not XHTML compliant. I'm attaching one of the files that's giving me problems so that you can test it in your site just in case the newest version of the module fixes this as well.

Although, properly speaking, there is really nothing to fix in Hot Potatoes or in the module but rather what should be fixed is my non-compliant code.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Martin Holmes -
Hi Josep,

Actually, I shouldn't have been as categorical as I was about the code problems; I have no idea whether the XHTML is the cause of this particular issue. I do think it's not worth trying to debug any problem with a browser or with a server-side system until you've fixed the XHTML, though; a broken DOM will throw many browsers for a loop, and make JavaScript cease to function.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, I will work on fixing the XHTML code anyway (because I want these quizzes to be used in the future without problems) but it looks like, after all, the problem is not the XHTML. As Gordon suggested, I used the html version of the quiz and the problem disappears.

Josep M.