Texttoys (sequitar) and embedded video player

Texttoys (sequitar) and embedded video player

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,
I have uploaded a text toys( sequitar) exercise and with an embedded video clip in it( put in the the instructions part). When i try the exercise in moodle (v1.7), each time I click on the next sentence in the story sequence, the video (wmv) returns to the beginning. If i try the same exercise outside of moodle - on my computer desktop, it works fine- that is, as i click on the story sequence the video just keeps playing normally. (It might be the fact that each time you click on a sentence, moodle is recording that as "an attempt", and therefore forcing the video to return to the beginning? No? Has anyone else experienced the same phenomena/ problem?

Cheers,
Robert
Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Texttoys - WebRhubarb

by Chick Lindsay -
Hi Robert,
I,too, am interested in placing a WebRhubarb activity into my Moodle course... I am interested in utilizing an audio file along with the written text.

I am wondering if Moodle will record the student score. I haven't tried your video with text activity yet.

Chick
In reply to Chick Lindsay

Re: Texttoys - WebRhubarb

by robert maran -
Hi Chick,
Moodle 1.7 does appear to record the score using WebRhubarb- Sequitar.

robert
In reply to robert maran

by Chick Lindsay -
I am having trouble embedding a sound file or a video file inside a webrhubarb activity. Can you suggest a useful online tutorial?

Thanks.

Chick

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

If what you want to do is something like this: http://moodle.univ-fcomte.fr/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=14661
Enrolment key: closegh
The code for the player is in the "instructions field".
I'm using a modified version of the WebRhubarb source code on Moodle 1.6.4

First learn How to play MP3 files using Flash
As well as Martin's tiny player, there are several other Flash players in the files section of hotpotatoesusers list.

Upload your exercise to your Moodle site in the usual way and in the settings for the exercise choose Force media plugins: No This means that Moodle will use your original mp3 player. There is (or was) a problem with the Moodle player not releasing the focus and so the using being unable to type in the text field.

I haven't yet succeeded in using a video Flash player in Moodle because of the problem of the player not releasing the focus but I haven't tried just recently either. This is only a problem where students need to type in a text field as with WebRhubarb (or JCloze or JQuiz short answer). If they only need to click on something, there is no problem.

By the way, my exercise as it stands is too long. Students complain about having to start all over from scratch if they have a power cut or other glitch in the middle. I'll chop it up into 3/4 sections for next year's course.

Hope this helps,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Chick Lindsay -
Glenys,

Thanks for your help with this. When you advise to 'upload in the usual way', do you mean to upload the webrhubarb file as a Hotpotatoes exercise or as a Resource?

Chick Lindsay
Menomonie, WI

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Chick,
Yes, as a Hot Pototoes exercise because, as you can see it's part of the Hot Potatoes module; the scores are registered by Moodle.

Cheers,
Glenys