Chat is too slow

Chat is too slow

by Romain D. -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,
I have some problems with the module chat on our Moodle.

Teachers wants to chat 1 hour per week with the student (more than 20 simultaneous connected), but the chat is to "slow".

I can test myself with 10 student connected : it's really slow, often we have 20 seconds between the moment where someone send something, and the moment where it appears in the windows.
When I "top" the server in SSH, there is no particular CPU consommation : between 0% and 5%.

I searched in this forum, but don't have found any clue to resolve my problem.
Any idea ?

And someone can tell me how many could connect to the chat simultaneoulsy ?

Chat module :
- normal method,
- chat_normal_updatemode: stream,
- chat_refresh_room: 2, (I have tried with 5 too)
- chat_old_ping: 30.

Platform :
- Moodle 1.6 + (2006050506)
- MySQL 4.1.20
- PHP 4.3.9 with eAccelerator
- Red Hat ES 4 Update 3

Architecture :
- third-party architecture,
- two server reverse-proxy Apache 2 in front : the load balancing is made with Round Robin DNS,
- one server for Moodle,
- one server for MySQL.

In attachement, a screenshot of the server-status of Apache on the Moodle server.

Thank you for your help.
Attachment server-status.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Romain D.

Re: Chat is too slow

by Stan Hoeppner -
Use chatd.php. The performance increase is dramatic. i just implemented it last night and it rocks. My post here assumes you have a basic understanding of Linux, packages, DNS conventions, and the Bash shell.

Change the settings in the moodle web admin interface to use the dedicated chat server:

Site aAdministration-->Modules-->Activities-->Chat

Change chat_method to "Chat server daemon".

For the host name, you need to use the DNS FQDN of the host, such as moodle.yourschool.org.

Now, for the critical part. You must start the daemon, chatd.php. For SuSE Linux Enterprise Server, execute in Bash:

/srv/www/htdocs/moodle/mod/chat/chatd.php

To run chatd.php you will need to have the Linux module PHP5-sockets installed (learned this by err).

Good luck. It may take you a bit to get it running, but the results are worth the effort.

In reply to Stan Hoeppner

by Romain D. -
Thanks for the answer !
I've tried with the chat daemon, but the result is worse !

When 6 or 7 students connect to the same chat room in the same time, we have the same problem of slowness, and often students have an error page (with firefox) : "Connection re-established".

But what did you mean with "you will need to have the Linux module PHP5-sockets installed (learned this by err)".

The version of PHP is 4.3.9 + eAccelerator, not PHP5.
In reply to Romain D.

by Genner Cerna -
i experience the same thing... thats why I disable it temporary.
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Romain D. -
But I cannot disable it : our teachers want to us it absolutely.
Someone has any clue why the chat daemon doesn't work ?

Or someone can advise me how to determine where is the problem ?
In reply to Romain D.

by Bill Michaelson -
I discovered and installed moodle two days ago as an experiment. I love the possibilities, but I agree about chat. But if I had my druthers, I wouldn't rely on this type of chat. Which leads me to the question:

Is there a smooth way to integrate usage of external programs within moodle administration? In this instance, I'm thinking if IRC. I've already got an IRC daemon running. There are plenty of clients to choose from. I could even point my firefox users to ChatZilla.

Thoughts, anyone?