Google Summer of Code 2007

Google Summer of Code 2007

by Dan Poltawski -
Number of replies: 13
From Google: "Google Summer of Code 2007 is on! We will begin accepting applications in March, so until then take a look at the FAQs and the advice for would-be students and mentors on the program wiki."

So I guess now would be a good time to think of projects which would suit themselves well to SoC!

Dan.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: Google Summer of Code 2007

by Penny Leach -
Yes, and also to find volunteers to help with mentoring.

I have vague memories of disscussing this with Martin D at the Sydney Moot, if I understand correctly, do we need to match up projects to mentors? If so, it might be a good idea to get a list of people who are interested in mentoring.

Go Go ! ---->

1. Penny
In reply to Penny Leach

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I had one suggestion for a project (that I personally am not interested in implementing) in the second half of this post: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=65102

Also, I am sure I could make good use of a SoC student to work on developing some interesting new question types for the quiz. So count me in as a mentor for that project.

by David Horat -
Well, I got an idea:

Think about navigating through Moodle just with your voice ...

How about making Moodle one of the first Open Source applications VoiceXML enabled? It will be a very good method of helping mobility disabled people. As far as I know, this technology is only supported by Opera in the standard browsers field, but since it is a W3C Standard, I hope it will become the defacto technology for this kind of service in all browsers. There are already plans in Firefox and Konqueror.

More info about Multimodal Interaction.

I am interested myself in being the student for this project, or in case I don´t fit with Google requirements, being the mentor if needed. smile

by Arkaitz Garro -
As a part of my master thesis (graduating final work), I'm developing a plugin
for Moodle that consists in automated grading system designed to process
computer programming assignments, bassed on actual Assignment plugin.

Computer Programming students will submit their programming assignments
(developed in Java, C++, C# or other OOP language) to Moodle, and our plugin
will test that the output of these programs is correct (or not). Besides that,
our plugin will test security and performance issues before and during the
grading automation.

We (me and my project director) would like to present this plugin to
this year's Google Summer of Code, and we wonder if Moodle (as a mentor project)
would be interested.

I think that is a great project for Moodle... and lot of people can be
interested in it.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, all.

Well, firstly, yes, Moodle *will* be participating this year. big grin

Last year kept me busy as I was basically mentoring the five students myself and it was quite a bit of work, but fun and rewarding (for me and most of the students, I think). Some of the code developed had problems with security or complexity, but almost all of the code developed did in fact end up in Moodle (albeit with extra work needed from core developers) so I count it as a success and well worth doing.

This year I would really like to see other regular developers mentoring students on projects in their various areas of expertise.

So, developers (you know who you are!) if you have some ideas that you really want to see implemented and not enough time to do it yourself please head over to the Student projects and add your project ideas. Preferably put yourself down as the mentor ... smile

(I do reserve the right to decide what goes into the SOC2007 under the Moodle project as well as what ends up in Moodle later on).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by David Horat -
Where we will see which projects are choosen? Or is there a place to discuss them?

As I can see in the GSoC 2007 timeline, the Mentoring organization application deadline is the 12th March so we should move fast!

I added my idea to the Student Projects webpage.
In reply to David Horat

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I put in the application a few days ago Yes, it's not required to specify the projects yet.

I will point out that projects require mentors, so people can't just add your favourite feature idea to the list. Make an effort to find a mentor for it, and get their permission! smile

Mentors need to be experienced Moodle programmers who've written significant amounts of code in the past.

Developers, even if you don't have ideas of your own please keep an eye on the student projects page, you may see something you want to mentor (if it helps, mentors get US$500 per student for their trouble).

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I could help with some projects too - core stuff, authentication, content creation and similar.

Anyway this year I would like to review all code before it goes into the main cvs (security, coding standards, db structures, ...) wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

I offer myself to discuss/help specifically about DB structures over each SoC project, but nothing else (time is pretty limited here those days).

And it should be done in the very firs stages of each project (once specs. are cristal-clear). I hope it would force/help all us to have some good functional docs of each project. Yes

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Penny Leach -
> Developers, even if you don't have ideas of your
> own please keep an eye on the student projects
> page, you may see something you want to mentor (if
> it helps, mentors get US$500 per student for their
> trouble).

In fact, I added a section for that:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects#Mentors_without_projects

(Martin D (or anyone): is there a text filter for linking to docs. wiki pages specially?)

by Martín Langhoff -
Great news! Last week I listed a couple of ideas I can mentor someone on. (I'll also be mentoring people on git projects, assumming the name doesn't put people off wink ). General mentoring (like Eloy and PEnny are offering) are great to have. The students are likely to bounce around this forum trying to get their bearings.

And thanks to whoever tidied up the wiki page. Looks great.

by Martín Langhoff -
Alright - ran through the SoC projects in areas I can mentor, and gave them points and feedback. It's all over soon people - go give them a score at least wink