Why didn't you switch to Moodle?

Why didn't you switch to Moodle?

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 17

Browsing these forums one finds a considerable number of posts saying something like "We are a large university with thousands of users on BB or WebCT. We are considering switching to Moodle." Surprisingly however there are almost no posts saying: "We actually did it! We switched to Moodle!". I would like to find out why. What in the end kept your institution from switching to Moodle? Or are the decisions still open? Things are still open here at the University of York.

Perhaps everyone is still waiting for Moodle 2.0? In that case we should probably unite. With the funds that that would generate Martin could supervise a whole army of full time developers.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Why didn't you switch to Moodle?

by Ray Lawrence -

This is rather cheeky, but ....how about you starting things off with why things are still open at York? smile

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Gustav W Delius -

At York things are open because the University is only now investigating its options. We have drawn up a long list of requirements and will use that to start off a tendering process for comercial software. In parallel I have been charged with investigating the open-source route.

Given the positive experience that we have had with Moodle you might wonder why we are investigating comercial software at all. I think the main reason is that it is always safer to do the same thing as all your competitors. And it is a fact that most Universities are using comercial VLE's.

Re: We are in the process!

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Gustav,

You are right when you say that there do not seem to be many (any?) frequent visitors to this form who have actually made Moodle the main learning environment of a whole school. However, at Kemi-Tornio Polytechnic we have started on it.cool

Switching from one VLE to another is not done overnight (i.e. mid-term). I have set a 3-year itinerary to gently nudge all of our WebCT users into Moodle, gently and by good example, because, as with all changes, conservative attitudes have to be overcome.

The commercial boys have done a good job scaring the sh...t out of the general public when it comes to Open Source. Many people believe that something that is free is by definition sub standard.

Many teachers that were reluctant to accept WebCT are equally reluctant now to switch to another unknown environment (and face the insecurities of retraining etc.).

Budgetary reasons can be mentioned as an obstacle (like "we have no resources to support two environments simultaneously" or "we cannot set aside teaching resources to retrain our staff", etc.). This is actually the reason why I have to learn to manage the Moodle server myself: our IT boys are not convinced yet, but they will be when Moodle has attracted a wider user base (It took 2 years for them to embrace WebCT). When I have moved the mainstay of our eLearning effort to Moodle, they will find themselves supporting an empty server and that is the best argument.

One other obstacle can be lack of support from management. They often know nothing at all about the practical issues of eLearning (except that it is an important part of government policy here in Finland) and they need to be convinced. The standing of Moodle proponents within the organisation is of importance to convince them. We at the Kemi-Tornio Polytechnic eLearning Centre are in the fortunate position that we have decisive input in the decision taking process, but others in other schools I know are not so fortunate and have management make decisions over their head with likely disastrous consequences (In fact I am pretty sure we may be hosting courses for "victims of commercial software policy" in our Moodle server).

Speak to me again after the summer, Ray, and I will be able to give you feedback about the first stage of our switchover.

Greetings,

Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

Re: We are in the process! - We are also in it!

by David Delgado -
We are also in the process of migrating 3,000 users from WebCT to Moodle, and I do agree, it is not a simple process. We have panned to make this progressive moving in 1 year time, being realistic. We have very advanced courses in WebCT using things like conditionals that are not easy to move into Moodle.

We have also cultural problems for everyone to "change their chip" to Moodle. We do think Moodle is the best e-learning platform right now, but the main reason for our clients to accept the movement is that it will be cheaper for them to have their systems maintained by us in it than it is in WebCT, which have very expensive License policies.

Right now, we are in the first phase when we do 2 things:

1- Use Moodle to build any NEW tranining system we develop.

2- Pay our last WebCT License (1 year) to keep existing training systems running in it while migrating them into Moodle.

So, this year, we be transforming existing training systems and courses to run them in Moodle, while they are still running in WebCT. We will be training teachers and administrative stuff on Moodle and doing lots of testing, and many other things involved. When whe have all done and we are happy about it, we will just stop the WebCT based systems and start the same systems bases on Moodle. But you know, it is a 1 year job. It is not as easy as you think. "Things have to be well done or not done at all.", as one of my teachers told me when I was in Primary School. smile
In reply to David Delgado

Re: We are in the process! - We are also in it!

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi David,

We have a three-year fixed price license for WebCT, which we opted for with the intent to find a suitable Open Source solution in the meantime. You could say Moodle came along just at the right moment, giving us plenty of time to plan a gradual switch over.

We have about 3500 users overall spread over some 10 polytechnic units and subsidiary organisations. We intend to move our school unit by unit (saving the unit of social studies for the last wink) to Moodle, offering training and support in the process.

At the moment we are still in the initial stages, getting to grips with version 1.2 and its possibilities, exploring the options for content making and conversion and training our student assistants.

The first Moodle courses at our school will most likely run during the summer (extra curricular education), while the first curricular polytechnic courses will start in Moodle in September, if all goes well (I agree with your teacher smile).

Rgrds,

Paul.

by Barry McMullin -

Just another data point (also already discussed in the VLE Switchers in Higher Ed thread): Dublin City University last month officially announced its instition-wide commitment to migrate to Moodle. This is essentially displacing a WebCT "pilot" deployment. Nonetheless, as others have identified (and even with only a "pilot") any migration involves a very significant effort. We are currently running both WebCT and Moodle in parallel, and do not expect to switch off the WebCT server till December 2004 at least.

As to the issues involved in getting to this stage ... well we (or, more accurately, my colleage, Morag Munro) are trying to write this up for a forthcoming conference. We'll share it here when available. It is a complex process, involving technical, pedagogical and (especially!) "socio-political" issues. Having high level managerial support is important, and we invested a lot of effort in achieving that. Equally, support from people on the ground - especially those who will have to go through the pain of migrating courses - is also critical, so we worked hard at communicating what we were doing, and inviting involvement (through open user meetings and forums etc.). I will not pretend that everybody is happy - that is too much to ask for any innovation - but I think we have a reasonable groundswell of support. Still a looooong way to go though.

In reply to Barry McMullin

by Barry McMullin -

OK, the promised paper, Moodle at DCU, is now available. (Again, my sincere thanks to Morag Munro who did the bulk of the work on this!).

Enjoy!

Re: Why didn't you switch to Moodle? Great !!!!!

by Joyce Smith -
Thank you Barry, for such a great paper !
Is it ok to 'post' it on the Australian Flexible Learning Community (AFLC) for their information ?
kind regards
Joyce big grin
In reply to Joyce Smith

Re: Why didn't you switch to Moodle? Great !!!!!

by Barry McMullin -
Please help yourself Joyce - that's what it's there for.

I would prefer that you post the URL rather than the paper itself - mainly so that any updates or corrections are propagated.

Best - B.

by Barry McMullin -

Hmmm... Just noticed that the link to the DCU announcement of its adoption of Moodle, both in my original posting, and as copied to Moodle Buzz, is broken. Dunno whether something changed at the DCU end, or if it was broken all along. But here's the version that currently works anyway:

http://www.dcu.ie/news/press/2004/p0204e.shtml

Of course, the better reference for anyone wanting some support in promoting Moodle, would be the paper at:

http://odtl.dcu.ie/wp/2004/odtl-2004-01.html

by James Sangster -

Greetings Folks,

I'm the resident web designer and WebCT expert for my school. I'm seriously looking at deploying moodle instead of WebCT at some point in the future but we're still in the research phase. We will certainly keep you posted though on where we're at with things as they progress.

I think some of the other folks here have hit the nail on the head as to why we havn't migrated yet.

1. We JUST found out about moodle. We've had our head in WebCT's sandbox for so long that we just didn't know any better. We're seriously looking now.
  2. Moodle does not have the user base that WebCT does and it can be argued that it's not as tested and therefore not as reliable.... that can be over come, especially in the academic arena.
  3. The full-blown support for moodle isn't available for moodle as it is for WebCT. This is almost a total show-stopper for us. We're very spoiled with the high-end WebCT support. We call them and they fix it. If there were a larger reliable business entity that's on call 24/7 for moodle then we'd be in business. I realize that's part of the nature of open-source stuff but we're a 7000+ seat university with at least 1/3 of those students online at some level. We need to have that support. Perhaps the answer is hiring a php expert.
  4. Migration of existing content is a major issue as well. We have over 40 highly-developed fully online courses that support "advanced" WebCT features like selective release. Migration of that content has to be planned and resources for that need to be allocated.
  5. Moodle doesn't (to my knowledge) support WebCT epacks (pre-formulated WebCT courses available for adoption direct from major publishers). Perhaps SCORM supports that but I havn't really looked into things as of yet in that area.

I can tell you that we're seriously considering deploying moodle for a smaller function to allow it to host all of our on-site training for faculty and staff on a seperate box so we don't have to pay for and support a seperate WebCT installation. (We have a mandate from upper management to have a totally seperate box for faculty/staff training.)

If we can address the above issues and be ready for the first stage of deployment by the time our 2-year WebCT contract is up in another year and a half we're going to seriously look at migrating to Moodle.

In reply to James Sangster

by Paul Nijbakker -

As to your five points, here are my five (euro)cents:

1. Moodle is on the move. It is continually being developed and has only recently reached the penetration that has brought it to wide attention (I do believe WebCT were aware of it well before you, considering the comments I have heard from them about "open source").
  2. From the above follows that Moodle's userbase will expand rapidly in the coming years. We at Kemi-Tornio Polytechnic aim at full Moodle adoption by the end of 2005, but we only represent 2500 students (3500 if you count all our subsidiaries). However, nationwide in Finland there is an interest in Moodle that will very likely limit the future use of commericial VLEs to only a handful of schools (The Finnish school system is public and based on free education for all (including tertiary), which implies that school budgets are very limited. Hence, the great interest in open source software.)
  3. From the above also follows that where there is a userbase, there is a market for support, so enterprises offering full support for Moodle are likely to pop up. I know already of at least one in Finland and I can imagine that in the land of opportunities there will be many more grasping the chance to make a few bucks, if Moodle.com is overstretched.
  4. Moving material from WebCT to Moodle just like that is not an option (not because it would not be compatible, but, especially, because Moodle is based on another pedagogical approach than WebCT and therefore courses should be rethought and reorganised to work to their fullest potential. Selective release can, or will be possible via the group function, but not (yet) for individual students, as far as I can tell).
  5. As to epacks, the first thing would be to check whether those publihers have a deal with WebCT that disallows the modification of the material for use in another VLE. If that is not the case, you could offer the epack publishers to modify their material for Moodle. If they have business sense, they may be interested in expaning their market coverage to another promising VLE.

Hiring a PHP expert (or becoming one yourself) is always an option, as it will put you in control of the VLE. I am a language teacher, not an IT expert at all, yet even I have been able to edit Moodle's source files to improve it following the advice from this web site. With WebCT that would have been out of the question.

Summing up, I think it is a very good idea to have a separate Moodle box running for staff training. I trust they will find it easier to use in many ways than WebCT (at least that is my experience). It will allow you to try out course conversion from WebCT to Moodle (and do inform us of your experiences!). If you can enlist the help of some student assistants in this process, it may not be such a gargantuan task.

Keep us posted, regards,

Paul.

by Barry McMullin -
Quotes from James Sangster with my responses interspersed (these are intended to be constructive suggestions for how to respond to these issues in typical discussion with "senior management"; been there, done that, got the tee-shirt...):

Moodle does not have the user base that WebCT does and it can be argued that it's not as tested and therefore not as reliable.... that can be over come, especially in the academic arena.

It is very hard to get reliable figures for the "user base" of either WebCT or Moodle. I think is is certainly fair to say that the Moodle user base is substantial, and growing very rapidly; sometimes (as in my own institution) at a direct reduction in WebCT.

More importantly, the suggested inference that Moodle is (therefore?) less well tested is very questionable. I think the software methodology and business model has a much greater impact on software reliability than the crude size of the user base. I believe it is well established now (?) that agile software development (with a very rapid deploy-test-repair cycle) generally delivers significantly more reliable and robust software. The open source approach makes this even more effective by providing a very diverse, and usually rather active, test audience.

From my own experience I can say that WebCT is generally a well engineered and reliable package (better than most); but Moodle is certainly at least as solid.

The full-blown support for moodle isn't available for moodle as it is for WebCT. This is almost a total show-stopper for us. We're very spoiled with the high-end WebCT support. We call them and they fix it.

Well, we buy support from moodle.com and the service to date has been absolutely amazing - significantly better that anything I have ever experienced in the closed-licence software business. And it's a lot cheaper to boot! But there is no surprise there: the open source business model precisely supports vigorous competition on service quality. As I say, we're very happy with moodle.com, but if it should ever falter we have a number of other outfits who would be only too delighted to bid for that business. Try saying that for any closed-licence software product. Open source is software consumer heaven.

Migration of existing content is a major issue as well. We have over 40 highly-developed fully online courses that support "advanced" WebCT features like selective release. Migration of that content has to be planned and resources for that need to be allocated.

That's a real and genuine problem; which flows directly from your original selection of a closed-license software platform. You are locked into that vendor. That is the point of the business model. Great for vendors (especially if they can achieve a "dominant market position") and a disaster for consumers.

The strategic challenge for your organisation is whether to "dig deeper" (by continuing to design even more such courses on that platform - basically locking in to the current platform even harder), or to jump ship now. Of course you will have to take a significant hit to do so: that is the price for future flexibility. But the longer you wait, the higher that price will get. The fact that it is already high is therefore a poor rationale for keeping going...

Moodle doesn't (to my knowledge) support WebCT epacks (pre-formulated WebCT courses available for adoption direct from major publishers). Perhaps SCORM supports that but I havn't really looked into things as of yet in that area.

Again, this is a serious issue, with no simple answer. The first thing to understand is that e-Packs are primarily about using the VLE as a (primitive) Digital Rights Management device. So, as has already been mentioned, there is a high incentive for the publishers to support any VLE which attains significant market share. Given the current momentum behind Moodle, I would think there is a good prospect of ePack publishers beginning to support it in the near future.

I should also say that, in my own institution, while we played with some ePacks on WebCT, we did not find any of appropriate quality and relevance that we really wanted to adopt them. Of course, this is a very dynamic and discipline specific thing, so your mileage may vary.

Out current fall back position is that if any Faculty member really does want to adopt ePack material, then that will be done by linking to external hosting of the ePack. This is offered, at no extra charge, by the leading ePack publishers. The linkage would normally be embedded within a "shell" Moodle course, so there is some superficial integration. Of course, you don't get any "deep" integration (e.g., into the gradebook). But, at this moment in time, this is a reasonable compromise. It is certainly a straightforward response to the claim (sometimes touted) that adoption of Moodle is simply incompatible with use of ePacks. It is not.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

by James Sangster -

Wow. I really appreciate the candid and concise responses. Great feedback and good perspectives on our issues. J A special thanks to Barry. Thats exactly what I needed to go back to our management with.

Were now in touch with Martin. It seems that my spam filter may have zapped his original response to our inquiries.

by Helen Mongan-Rallis -
I know this is an old discussion, and those of you who participated in it may be long gone from looking at this, but I wondered if anyone has revisited this question recently? We are in the process of making a decision between WebCT and Moodle, and I am seeking insights from others. Since this discussion above, the issues of user base and penetration are no longer so much of a concern.

At our university (University of Minnesota Duluth, USA) both WebCT and Moodle are supported, although there are currently few users of Moodle on our campus (there are many more across the U of MN system). We are seeking a constructivist type of CMS for online graduate M.Ed. program. We currently use an a la carte suite of tools (not one course management system) that enables us to have access to most of the tools found in typical CMS; however, the tools don't "talk" to each others, and faculty have to learn each one, sometimes from different faculty IT support people. We want a CMS that is easy to use for instructors and students, allows faculty to teach using a variety of methods (not just limited to discussion boards and web pages, which is basically what we have been doing), is cross-platform, and can be used by students in remote areas using dial-up modem. Also, we want a discussion forum that is set up for discussion among students (rather than students just responding to the instructor), and that enables users to follow threads of the discussion easily. Moodle seems to do this much better than WebCT.

I would love to hear from others on your experiences and insights!smile
In reply to Helen Mongan-Rallis

by Michael Penney -
Hi Helen, some good stuff here

Humboldt State University
http://www.humboldt.edu/~cdc/lms/

San Francisco State University
https://ilearn.sfsu.edu/login/ilearn_news.htm

The University of California, Los Angeles
http://www.oit.ucla.edu/ccle/
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by Helen Mongan-Rallis -
Hi Michael,
Thanks so much for this resources. This is really helpful, and exactly the kind of information that I can use. Much appreciated! big grin