all participants' Last access shown as "Never" via front page's "People" block

all participants' Last access shown as "Never" via front page's "People" block

by Robert Allerstorfer -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

I have the "People" block enabled on the front page, containg the link "Participants" (which links to user/index.php?contextid=1). When that link is clicked, a list of all participants without
a course-context appears, displaying the Last access for each user as "Never".

However, when clicking on a user name (which calls user/view.php?id=SOMETHING&course=1), the user's
Last access times correctly appears in the user's profile.

Is this a known bug?

I am using the latest official build, 1.7.1.0 from stable17/moodle-20070127.tgz

regards,
rob.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Allerstorfer

Re: all participants' Last access shown as "Never" via front page's "People" block

by Jonathan Lewis -
Same problem here... anyone have a fix for this?

Re: all participants' Last access shown as "Never" via front page's "People"

by Francis Vendrell -
Dear All,

I have the same problem:

"all participants' Last access shown as "Never" via front page's "People""

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?

Thank for any help given
triste
In reply to Francis Vendrell

by José Lages -
This happens because the participant in question must enter a course that he is enrolled in. Any participant that does not enter a course will continue do show last access as Never even though that user did access the site. I think this answer should answer your question. Good luck.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to José Lages

by Jonathan Lewis -
I'm afraid this doesn't really answer the question... the trouble is that *all* participants are shown as 'never' (including the admin!) whether or not they've accessed a course.

As is mentioned above, clicking on their name brings up their true last access date/time.

I haven't really tried to crack this yet myself (maybe it's one for the Easter holidays) but if anyone knows a straightforward fix I'd be glad to hear it. For now I've just taken the 'people' block off the front page.
In reply to José Lages

by Francis Vendrell -

Hello again,

I agree with Jonathan.

I suggest to add in the people block, in addition to the choice of the different courses, the extra choice "Site". In this way, one will be able to see easily which participants have entered the site recently (otherwise one has to look at all different courses separately), which was possible with Moddle 1.5 !

To answer José, if one give in the front page the role of student to all participants this role will be inherited to all courses, which we don't necesserally want.

For your information, I have reported this problem as a bug, see http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8778

Thanks for your answers smile

Francis

In reply to Francis Vendrell

by Robert Allerstorfer -
Thank you Francis for submitting this issue to the bug tracker. Looking into http://download.moodle.org/stable18/CHANGES the following change can be found:
2007-03-06 Tuesday 04:09 skodak

* user/index.php, blocks/participants/block_participants.php,
 lib/db/access.php:

MDL-7693 fixed participans block on frontpage; notloggedin and
 authenticated roles overrides to be fixed later in separate bug
Not sure if this refers to the problem discussed here, since I yet did not try 1.8. However, there is no corresponding change entry for 1.7+. Can anybody confirm if it works with the current 1.8 beta snapshot?

rob.

by Danielle Lowy -
I spent ages trying to sort this out before finding this thread. Unfortunately it is only listed as a minor bug on the tracker at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8778
so I would suggest anyone who wants to see it resolved might like to comment or vote on it. For my part, it makes quite a difference to how my site is viewed as members ('students') have an interest in who else is signed up.
At the moment I'm wishing I'd stayed with 1.6 as I'm encountering so many problems with 1.8 such as stickies not all appearing, blocks disappearing from front page, having to manually set people up as global site users. The Moodle love affair is waning. Sigh.
In reply to Danielle Lowy

by Roger Gardner -
We have encountered this problem with the Participants block at course level too. Have others?

Thanks
Roger