Hosting question

Hosting question

by Steven Day -
Number of replies: 2
I currently am testing out Moodle, which is hosted on a basic plan (300mb; 5gb/month). This fall I would like to use it for one of my larger courses, however, and was wondering what option might be best. The course will be around 40-50 students (Masterpieces of Chinese Literature in Translation), without many large files to post. My question is this: should I stick with my current plan (adding some more storage and bandwith); or might it be better to attempt running the Moodle site off my own server? Currently my university ITS does not offer PHP support, though they may make special arrangements.

Thanks in advance.

Steven
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Day

Re: Hosting question

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I think for now you can stay where you are. In case the serverspace gets to narrow you can move the installation with everything in it rather easely (see documentation).

At the moment we run more than 20 courses, 10 of them verry active with over 800 students on 400 MB webspace (130 MB used by moodleinstallation). The traffic is rather low (less than 2 GB/month) We have abouth 2000 to 3000 pageviews in Moodle/day.

In reply to koen roggemans

Re: Hosting question

by Steven Day -
Thanks Koen. For very little, I can upgrade my hosting option to 500mb too-just to be safe. So it's good to learn that for smaller classes, there should not be any problem.

Best,

Steven