Are old Moodle code-bases archived?

Are old Moodle code-bases archived?

by Eamon Costello -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

I would like to get hold of old versions of Moodle for research purposes. Has anyone any idea where I could get these?

Thanks,

Eamon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eamon Costello

Re: Are old Moodle code-bases archived?

by Greg Lyon -
I think CVS is the way to go. You'll find many versions of Moodle in the CVS repository, and you can get started from the moodle download area. This page should get you started: http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Administrators.

by Martín Langhoff -
+1 for CVS spelunking smile Some ideas:

- Use cvsps to collect stats and patchsets - eith a few scripts you can generate stats on commits per month, committers per month, lines of code changed per month, etc. Or between releases. Similar to cvsps but less useful: cvs2cl.

- It might be valuable to run sloccount across different historical versions - remember to exclude lang and the various imported libraries (like AdoDB).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Eamon Costello -
Thanks guys. That's a great help to me. (CVS ports blocked here at work but will have a look at this from home).

- Eamon

by Eamon Costello -
Hi and Thanks for all of your help on this.

I finally got some time to come back to this and am trying to some Moodle archeology.

I have a script that downloads old Moodle releases via CVS. For some Moodle releases I get a No Such Tag error e.g. MOODLE_155

Are these releases not in the repository or do I have the tag name wrong?

I can't find:

1.3.2 - 1.3.3
1.3.6 - 1.3.9
1.4.6 - 1.4.8
1.5.5 - 1.5.9
1.7.8 - 1.7.9

any help greatly appreciated.

- Eamon

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Some of those are not releases yet smile For example, 1.7.7 and 1.8.8 were only announced yesterday.

For example, 1.7 is a branch, and the .x after that is a point release in that branch. Branches run in parallel. We do not release number-sequentially through 1.7.7 -> 1.7.8 -> 1.7.9 -> 1.8.0 -> 1.8.1 . However the number sequence does apply when considering an upgrade (you can only upgrade to higher-numbered versions).

This diagram explains the branching:

CVS branches
This history of Moodle releases will be helpful:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_version_history

For a fairly authoritative list of tags, look at the "Sticky tag" menu on this log for the main index.php file:

http://cvs.moodle.org/moodle/index.php?view=log

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Brian Jorgensen -
Just curious how the numbering works: I see that 1.6 is currently at 1.6.9; will the next 1.6 release be 1.6.10?

Thanks,

Brian

In reply to Brian Jorgensen

Re: Release numbers

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Brian,

If there was to be another 1.6 release, then I imagine it would be called 1.6.10. However, as Martin mentioned in his announcement New releases: Moodle 1.9.4, 1.8.8, 1.7.7 and 1.6.9, "Moodle 1.6.9 and Moodle 1.7.7 mark the last builds that the core team plan to release from those branches (unless someone else volunteers to maintain them) due to the amount of work involved."