Graphing and Free Form Geometric Constructions

Graphing and Free Form Geometric Constructions

by Michael Backus -
Number of replies: 6
I'm very interested in using moodle to help me manage my classroom. Before I do this though, I'd like to see another question type added: graphs/constructions. I believe this could be done fairly easily using R. Grothmann's "Circle and Ruler" (CaR) which is a program that allows students to construct geometric figures freely as they would with paper, pencil, and strait edge, and a compass. One of the features of CaR is the ability to build "Assignments" which display a "Well Done" message when the student has performed the construction correctly. I don't know much about Java (that is what CaR is written in) and PHP, but I'm fairly certain that the pop-up could be redirected so that it tells moodle whether the student succeeded or not. If anyone is interested in adding this feature, I'd be willing to help in my own meager way. You can contact me at bob@mbackus.com. Please see Burchell High School's web site for examples of how to create assignments using CaR.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Backus

Re: Graphing and Free Form Geometric Constructions

by John Isner -
Let's continue the discussion in this forum, rather than making it private, for the benefit of others who might be interested in doing something similar.

The answer is probably to use SCORM. You would build a SCORM package containing your quiz and a Java geometry applet. The SCORM can return results to Moodle. I'm struggling to do something like this now (using Reload to build my SCORM 1.2 package) and getting nowhere fast!
In reply to John Isner

by Jeff Forssell -
I would also like to get a Java applet suite into Moodle: PAD Physics Applets for Drawing. It has interactive support for drawing and giving guiding feedback and judging if it is "CORRECT" for graphs, vectors and even motion analysis.

Here's an example of GraphPAD http://tupo.biz/cgi-bin/tut/tutmab.pl/kurser/MaC/StudArb/MaCSA1_7.htm
(the page is in Swedish but it is basically "make a graph of f(x) = 2 · 0,75x for -3 ≤ x ≤ 2)

I'm sure that any headway made with other Java Applets would help others get working in Moodle.
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by John Isner -
The PAD applet has an isCorrect() method that tells if the submitted answer is correct. I'm pretty sure the result can be passed back to Moodle via the SCORM interface. I will try to create a PAD SCO this week.
In reply to John Isner

by Jeff Forssell -
This does seem to be a Merry Christmas!

Finding people that dive into something I've been "hoping" to get to for months! (And that probably know more about how to get it to work)

I've tried to find documentation on the PAD site (which I find rather easy to get lost in sad ) and have copied some info that might be of use to this page:
http://www.tupo.biz/moodle1.6/mod/resource/view.php?id=55
In reply to Michael Backus

by John Isner -
Do you have an example of a CaR Assignment (one that pops up a "well done") that we could see?