Instructional Design Issues

Instructional Design Issues

by Abdul Rahman -
Number of replies: 4

I'm planning to create an on-line course on writing and editing, and would seek your opinions on the best way to deliver/present the course materials.The students would be working professionals. Right now, I'm toying with the following approaches:

1.  Present each lesson with a powerpoint or html set, interspersed with HotPot tests. At the end of each lesson, the student can download the full "lecture notes" and do quizzes and assignemnts. The powerpoint or html "lecture" only covers the key points, but students are required to go throguh the lecture notes.

2.  Present each lecture in full (page turner) and end with quizzes and assignments.

3.  Do an audio-streaming lecture with powerpoints

Given the subject matter and student profile, I'd welcome your views and perspectives on which would be the best delivery method.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abdul Rahman

Re: Instructional Design Issues

by Richard Treves -

Hi Abdul,

IMHO the priority list for an e-learning course design:

1. Robust

2. intuiative navigation

3. Design around what students are going to DO rather than what content you want to deliver

4. Whizzy things

I would therefore go for '2' in your option list if I have to choose:  streaming stuff leads to complications (suddenly not robust).  Number 1 sounds as if you are thinking how to deliver content to them and are a bit vague about what they will 'do' (hotpot tests', '..go through lecture'). 

Can I suggest another approach?  Since this is about writing you could really do some great things with forum work, e.g. give students some text to edit, have them post their different versions in a forum.  When they are used to this do the exercise with another bit of writing and, publish thier edits and then get them to assess each others edits.  This is a very powerful teaching technique - you will have to police their feedback carefully though - make sure they know how to feedback politely to each otherwise you could have some flaming wars on your hands.

The advantages of the above:  Forums are v robust and simple, students will engage carefully with the 'doing', you should get some interesting results which can be further discussed with the students.  For further reading Gilly Salmons books should be of use. 

I hope I've understood you well enough for that to be of use

All the best

Richard

In reply to Richard Treves

by Abdul Rahman -

Thanks Richard

I guess my main concern isn't so much what I want to present as how the students will best receive it. I've heard a lot about adult learners dropping out before the end of their e-courses because they found the content boring.

I agree we have to get a lot more activities into the course.

It's interesting that you advocate the 'page-turner' model ... I thought  that's what would kill student interest.

.Your idea about using forums to discuss student work is very interesting. How would that be different or better than the workshop module?

rahman

In reply to Abdul Rahman

by Ger Tielemans -

USe the key in your course: ADULTS. Adults have experience so do two things.

1. Make a group of them, stress the importance of filling the personal profile, organise in the beginning forums to get to know each other, etc.

2. Use their EXPERIENCE, organise forums where they can share these experiences, try to organise the streams by organising discussions topics, related to your course. (Look in the course of Art Ladder, he does this in a nice way.)

In reply to Abdul Rahman

by Philippe Ramette -

Two suggestions

1. create a case studies with real situations

2.Go see breeze in the www.macromedia.com website . Breeze transform your powerpoint presentation in flash format which is more appeling.

Philippe Ramette