Increase font size in module

Increase font size in module

by shawn hamzee -
Number of replies: 7

hello all,

how do i increase the font size for a specific module? the problem is that i am working with elementary school kids who'd like to have bigger fonts in the quiz module (i guess it makes it simpler for them to read the questions). i've looked around different styles*.css files but no joy!

any and all help appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to shawn hamzee

Re: Increase font size in module

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
There is no unique CSS declaration which would automatically increase font-size for a specific Moodle module, such as the Quiz module. However, by looking at the elements of the quiz interface I can suggest a few additions to the CSS stylesheet which might help. Screenshots with Moodle 1.6.3, formal white theme and the following additions to fw_fonts.css.
#mod-quiz-attempt #responseform {
font-size:1.4em;
}
#mod-quiz-attempt #responseform .answer .text {
font-size:1.0em;
}
#mod-quiz-attempt #responseform .answer option {
font-size:1.2em;
}
#mod-quiz-attempt #responseform input {
font-size:1.2em;
}

Hope that helps,

Joseph

Attachment image000.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by shawn hamzee -
Joe,

That helped tremendously! Thanks.

I was wondering if you know how to manipulate the next link (seen in the graphic towards the end of the series of questions) and convert it to a button and associate the return key with it. The kids want to be able to hit the return key and go to the next question.

Thanks much for helping!
In reply to shawn hamzee

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
> I was wondering if you know how to manipulate the next link (seen in the graphic towards the end of the series of questions) and convert it to a button and associate the return key with it.

That is very different from simple CSS manipulation to change font-size. The Quiz interface is indeed far too complicated for the students, as has been pointed many times on the Quiz forum, and Tim Hunt tells us that it will undergo serious lifting in future Moodle versions.

We'll have to be patient.wink

Joseph

by Jeff Forssell -
I love to be able to do things without mousing more that necessary and often use accesskeys on pages I can decide over and use a lot.

When there are places i can't influence a nice alternative for Firefox users is an extension called NextPlease. As it comes it will execute NEXT links if you use CTRL+Shift + N (or right arrow). You can change its behaviour a lot: which phrases and buttons it recognizes and what keys activate them. But I don't think you can use just ENTER.

But that would be a nice option that could be combined with 1 question per page. (I think it would be inadvisable if there were more than one question. The person might inadvertantly jump over the questions below.)

I would like a more well planned tab order (if there is any?) in Moodle, expecially in the quizzes. I've been sketching a "proposal for how the numerical question function and interface should be improved" where I've tried to decribe my ideas about taborder in quizzes:
1) have a easy way to access with keyboard
 a) good "tab order": when opening a quiz question page the student will usually want to
 answer the first question as his/her first option (tab order =10)
 Assuming there are no other taborders set this would be first.
 "BASIC" numbering allows later refinements without renumbering.
 if available "send in question" (tab order =15)
 answer next question (tab order= 20)
 if available "send in question" (tab order =25)
 (how this looks would depend on how many question blanks are on a page
 and would end up att NEXT page link)
 b) Acesskeys (This is mined territory since there are no real standards (or
 rather several DIFFERENT standards) It would probably be best to let
 people chose whether they want this activated)
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by shawn hamzee -
Jeff,

I think you're right about several things including your assessment on the improvement of the interface. However, since I am kinda new to moodle, I won't be able to help much at this point. Not to be pessimistic, but I have heard/seen in different forums and such that it's hard to get the development team to change things around.

The tab order is definitely something that can be improved considerably.

by shawn hamzee -
Although I can hardly wait to see the future moodle versions, the more immediate problems will have to be resolved, somehow!!! The changes I mentioned are necessary for the site to be operable by 2nd and 3rd graders. The changes are the minimum changes necessary! But I thank you for the info!

by Stefan Eberhard -
Hello Joseph,

I had a simliar problem with the Theme Chameleon in 1.7.
I added your lines to user_styles.css in Chameleon and ....... IT WORKS!
Thanks
Stefan