Backing up/upgrading and restoring non standard blocks

Backing up/upgrading and restoring non standard blocks

by Sam Rudd -
Number of replies: 5

I recently did a test upgrade on a spare server and noticed that when I reinstalled and restored the moodle database I was missing some non standard blocks... is there a way to back up all the blocks and resources produced using these blocks? Because I have been given the job to move our moodle to another server and I don't want to loose anything. All help appreciated.

Thanks

Sam x

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Rudd

Re: Backing up/upgrading and restoring non standard blocks

by A. H. -
Hi Sam,
With the very little info you mentioned, just not that if you migrate the database, you need to copy also the Data directory to the new server.

Migrating the database and the DATA directory should work fine
OR
Backup all courses and restore one by one to the new server in case you have a corrupted Database.

If this is not anything close to the answer you expected, please clarify more your question smile

regards,
amer
In reply to A. H.

by Sam Rudd -

Hi,

Thanks for your reply I think that was what I was after if I'm moving it to another server and not upgrading I can copy the data directory on to the new server and shouldn't loose non standard blocks like the learning resource block. Do you know if I will loose the contents of such blocks during the move?

Kind regards

Sam

In reply to Sam Rudd

by A. H. -
Hi,

All you write/do on moodle is usually being added in the relative table in the database. Anything uploaded is put in the data directory.

You are moving to another server but you STILL have the same domain name right?If you change it, you will get broken links. Do you wanna change the domain name?

I recommend testing all this before applying to a real server or switching.Take more time to do it safe rather than getting "WANTED" smile.

regards,
amer
In reply to A. H.

by Sam Rudd -

Hi, we haven't actually gone live with it yet so it doesn't have a proper domain name yet. The IT manager will sort that out for me I think. Will this still be a problem? cheers

Sam

In reply to Sam Rudd

by A. H. -
Hey,

From my experience i found out that its best to have the site name chosen before installing moodle. Changing the site name after you have created courses will cause broken links.

One way to avoid this is:
Backup all courses first. Change site name. Restore courses

Another way i didnt test yet is:
After the site name has been agreed on and changed, go to http://ursitename/admin/replace.php
Search for: oldsitename
Replace with: newsitename

Goodluck!
amer