MediaWiki Module

MediaWiki Module

by Alastair Hole -
Number of replies: 11
Hi All,

I have created a very simple module that allows you to add MediaWiki links as activities to courses.

You simply set the url of your MediaWiki installation in the module settings, then add a wiki to your course. The name you choose is then added to the url you provided and the page is displayed in an iframe. For example, using the url 'http://wiki.example.com/index.php/' and the name 'Main Page', the following url is displayed in an iframe: http://wiki.example.com/index.php/Main Page

MediaWiki (+browser?) is clever enough to tidy up the url, e.g. add '_' instead of spaces. Also, if the page does not previously exist then MediaWiki is clever enough to show you the edit links etc.

This module's main intention is to provide a neat way to link to existing MediaWiki pages, with most administration still taking place within MediaWiki.

Please let me know if you find it useful (we do!), or have any other feedback.

As far as authentication is concerned, we are using transparent NTLM authentication so the user will not need to enter login details. I have not tested with the Moodle login plugin, but i would imagine it would work just as well, with the obvious drawback of the user having to enter their credentials yet another time.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alastair Hole

Re: MediaWiki Module

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Great Alastair,
this module could work toghether with the Mediawiki search block.
Cheers
Ludo
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Alastair Hole -
Thanks smile Yes, the url can be any wiki you want, so it could be Wikipedia proper.
And I guess it wouldn't be too tricky to customise the Wikipedia search block to use your own wiki (if it doesn't already?)

by Saul Traiger -
I installed this and it works. The only problem I'm having is that I can't get it to display in an i-frame. It appears to do this, but then forwards to a full window mode. I suspect that this isn't a specific problem with this module, however, since I have the same problem when I just link to my mediawiki using the link to external file method.

Saul
In reply to Saul Traiger

by Alastair Hole -
I seem to recall MediaWiki having some JavaScript to break out of framesets, i'll see if i can find the details.

EDIT:
This should be all you need to change:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#I_want_my_wiki_to_appear_in_a_frame_as_part_of_my_site.2C_but_it_keeps_popping_out_of_the_frame

by Saul Traiger -
Thanks for the info! I effected the edit, but it didn't change the behavior. There's a note in the instructions which says that this may not work in Mediawiki 1.58.
In reply to Saul Traiger

by Alastair Hole -
Hmmm 1.58 sounds like quite an old version, do you know if you are using this specifically? [/wiki/Special:Version]

We are using 1.8.2 and have been able to switch off the frames protection.

by Saul Traiger -
I upgraded to 1.9.0 and made the the changes, and now I get mediawiki in the frame, but it's not properly formatted. The mediawiki part appears below a lot of blank space. Interestingly, if I use the web-resource method of accessing the mediawiki, it appears properly in the iframe. So there's progress, but the behavior I'm getting with the mediawiki module is still puzzling.
In reply to Saul Traiger

by Robert J. Fouser -
I recently installed the module in Moodle 1.6.5, and am having the same trouble. I've tried changing themes, and I still get the same behavior. I can't figure out what might be causing it. Any ideas?
In reply to Saul Traiger

by Ely Pa -

I'm trying the module for Moodle 1.9.4 and MediaWiki 1.14, I followed the instructions from the README file, but at the end I can't find the MediaWiki module into Moodle's modules list. Would you please have suggestions?

TIA,

Ely

In reply to Ely Pa

by rohit jain -

I am using moodle 1.9.5..

I'm also getting an extended header before the page i want and also have to give the complete url in the name...

Please help..

regards,

rohit