Moodle version of WebCT CD-ROM tool

Moodle version of WebCT CD-ROM tool

by Jody Baty -
Number of replies: 3

Anybody know of a good way to implement an equivalent to WebCT's CD-ROM tool in Moodle? The course I've created has about 3.0GB of video on five separate CDs. Currently in Moodle, each time the user is required to view a video they are prompted (javascript) to type in their CD-ROM drive letter. We're running into javascript compatiablity issues with the Mac OS. It's also a bit of a pain for the user to have to keep re-entering their drive letter.

Any suggestions or workarounds would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jody Baty

Re: Moodle version of WebCT CD-ROM tool

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Jody,

no workaround it is a feature in moodle, but it is disabled by default.

Site Administration -> modules -> ressourses settings ->allowlocalfiles -> Yes

Then you can add a link to a local CD/DVD file if you create a new ressource.

Ralf

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Note that this feature is not generally useful any more (even for WebCT) because most modern browsers will prevent web pages from linking to files on local drives (for security).

You'll generally see a blank page. sad
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Gary Barclay -

Browser doesn't block this, however the problem I'm having is the link points to 'LOCALHOST' which seems to be defaulting to the D: drive. I would like the link to point to the G: on my network.

There is a link within Moodle 1.8 that indicates that each user chooses their localhost in their profile, however the link seems to be dead and I cannot find any settings within the profiles.

Any Ideas?

Gary