what's the query to execute to find out which section has no resourses or activities?

what's the query to execute to find out which section has no resourses or activities?

by aggelos panagiotakis -
Number of replies: 3
I am in need of a more exprerienced developer here.
what's the query to execute to find out which section is not used (== has no resources and activities inside) ?
I just want if there is not one empty available to add a new one in the database . Which are these steps to add a section in the database?

Thanks in advance
Average of ratings: -
In reply to aggelos panagiotakis

Re: what's the query to execute to find out which section has no resourses or activities?

by Greg Lyon -
I don't know the exact one you will want, but I suggest looking here: http://xref.moodle.org/nav.html?_functions/index.html and searching on 'section'. You'll almost certainly find some useful functions there!
In reply to Greg Lyon

Re: what's the query to execute to find out which section has no resourses or activities?

i saw that this is for moodle version 1.7
anything on 1.6.3?
what would be really helpfull is to know what ( database ) relationships exist with the table of sections with the one with resourses and the reason the field sequence exists.
so ... the question remains :
whats the way (query ) to find out if a section "is beeing used"/ "contains resources and/or actinities"
In reply to aggelos panagiotakis

For those who want to help here is some graphical representations of the moodle database schema
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3935

i experimented a little with mysql and tried to find out series of missing entries in the sections datatable.
//Find ranges of missing values with subqueries
select start, stop from (
select m.section + 1 as start,
(select min(id) - 1 from mdl_course_sections as x where x.section > m.section) as stop
from mdl_course_sections as m
left outer join mdl_course_sections as r on m.section = r.section - 1
where r.section is null
) as x
where stop is not null;