Download Counter

Download Counter

by Andrew Seears -
Number of replies: 4
I'm trying to figure out how to implement a download counter in Moodle. I see one implemented on the Moodle download page at: http://download.moodle.org/, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how they did that.

Does anyone know how that was done or how to implement a download counter in Moodle?

Andrew Sears
andrew@techmission.org
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Seears

Re: Download Counter

by Timothy Takemoto -
The moodle download page uses, I think, some custom php and mysql. You really need both because the script will have to remember the number of downloads and save that data somewhere.

Alternatively if you sign up for a free site counter - which provides the database and the php for you, you only provide a javascript link - then these can be used as a download counter as described here.
http://forum.statcounter.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6122
In reply to Andrew Seears

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Catalin Popescu -

Any news on this "File download counter" plugin?

This is a pretty old thread, but I see no more recent reference on this issue, and it seems a pretty important issue.

Also, are files normally accessible by direct linking in Moodle? This should not be the case, because then anyone -even not subscribed to the courses- could download them.

In reply to Catalin Popescu

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you have an example of a file on your site that is available by directly linking to it without logging in?

If so, please file a security bug at tracker.moodle.org 

If you're just asking the question, without having tried it, then the answer is: no. All files are checked for access permissions before they are served.