User terms for questions in Lesson and Quiz

User terms for questions in Lesson and Quiz

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi,
I have a question about the future, as it concerns questions used in Quiz and Lesson activities. Can we get the language on the edit forms to match?

Recently I have been trying to create KISS statements about a Lesson question's responses and jumps, specifically Multiple Choice and Multi-choice. For about the 3rd time I started to edit the various Quiz question type pages in MoodleDocs with Lesson question language. The user interface in Quiz and Lesson does not use the same terms.

In a Quiz students select a "choice" and teachers give "feedback". In a Lesson students select an "answer" and teacher give a "response".

What is the plan when we have a database of questions for both modules? Is this going to be the time to also unify the user (teacher) edit form? Where do I express an opinion? Here, Tracker or MoodleDocs?

Thanks for all your efforts.

Best Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: User terms for questions in Lesson and Quiz

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Chris

I quite agree that a unification of terminology is needed for the Lesson and Quiz questions. I already suggested this some time ago in this discussion.

Now I'd like to suggest using only these 3 terms which I think are quite clear. Any question can have :

• one (or more) expected answer(s) (or teacher answers)
  • one (or more) student answer(s)
  • with each expected answer can be associated a feedback (or feedback message)

And I suggest not using the word response at all, which leads to confusion.

Now, this should not be confused with CORRECT/INCORRECT.

e.g. in the case of the shortanswer (or my own regexp answer type) in answer to a given question, a teacher can create a number of expected answers, some of which are to be considered 100% correct or 0% < 100% correct or 0% correct (i.e. incorrect). When using the quiz or lesson questions for teaching rather than for testing purposes, it is important to always provide relevant feedback to the students, as well for answers deemed correct as for answers deemed incorrect.

Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I disagree. I like moodle's terminology.

answer for the teacher's model answers.

response for what the student entered.

That is consistent throughout the quiz. I had not realised that the lesson has it exactly the other way round. That is bad.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chris Collman -
Hi Tim,
I am often confused but please consider. Lesson uses answer & response consistantly in the question edit forms. But I went into demo.moodle and looked at a multiple choice quiz question http://demo.moodle.org/question/question.php?id=15
that is not the terminology.

After reading your post and doing some futher review, the multiple choice quiz question form is also not consistant with a quiz numeric question. Those forms and others in quiz use "feedback" consistantly. And matching... well it is different for it's own reasons I guess smile

We are in agreement that terminology should be consistant. I apologize for not providing links to examples in my initial post, that is a new user error.

Best Chris

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim,

When you write "answer for the teacher's model answers" you are making the confusion which I said should be avoided between "expected answers" and "correctness". I notice that this same confusion is present in the wording of the Quiz question editor (shortanwer question type):

Correct answers: You must fill out at least one possible answer. Answers left blank will not be used.

This is not a good labelling, since the teacher can enter "expected wrong answers" as well as "expected correct answers". Of course, again, this is only a concern for teachers who - like myself - use the Quiz (and the Lesson) modules not for testing but for teaching purposes.

And I beg to maintain that there is an ambiguity when using the terms "answer" and "response". For example, the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English defines a response as "an answer that clearly shows your reaction to a question, suggestion etc". I maintain that it would be much clearer to all to use "expected answer" and "student answer". And making it quite clear that "expected answer" or "teacher answer" is not necessarily equivalent to "correct" answer.

Awaiting your answer/response/feedback on this matter,

Joseph

by Jeff Forssell -
JR expresses my views precisely.
(A rather common esperience!)

No offence to Tim, whose great work on the quiz module I appreciate!
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Chris Collman -
Absolutely no offence to Tim and many sincere kudos. The quiz module has had the greatest impact upon our staff than any other module by far.

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Joseph Rézeau -
Jeff >No offence to Tim, whose great work on the quiz module I appreciate!

Of course, this "terminology battle" has nothing to do whatsoever with Tim's great work on the Quiz module (or Mark's great work on the Lesson module).approve I am only trying to promote the point of view of the "end-user" and to make things as clear and simple as possible for the teacher entering their questions. As a language teacher I am obviously concerned with terminology (and maybe sometimes getting carried away...).wink

Joseph

by Timothy Takemoto -
I have to agree with Joseph. When look at that matrix of checkboxes I am still a bit confused by answer and response to this day.  The phrase "Final Answer?" from the unbiquitous quiz series springs to mind. In moodlese this would be "Final Response?"

I also agree with Chris
The quiz module has had the greatest impact upon our staff than any other module by far.
Yes. Yess!

Posts to the quiz module forum
2224, posts to the next most popular module, the forum module = 848.

Timothy

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Joseph Rézeau -
Timothy > The phrase "Final Answer?" from the unbiquitous quiz series springs to mind.

May I ask where exactly you can see that phrase? which Moodle version?

Joseph

by Chris Collman -
I agree with answer and feedback. However, I can live with anything as long as it is consistant. As I get older, I need this more and more big grin