moodledata/temp/backup very large

moodledata/temp/backup very large

by Lars Jensen -
Number of replies: 2
What is saved in the moodledata/temp/backup directory. My hard drive was filling up, and I noticed this directory is very big...

Lars.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lars Jensen

Re: moodledata/temp/backup very large

by David Delgado -
I think it is just a directory to deal with temporary files while backups are created. My production server and testing server have that directory empty, and I have done many backups in both of them.

I remember that I saw that kind of problems when the backup system was being developed by Eloy. I helped him in testing it, specially for Windows, but now it works perfectly for me, both in Windows XP and in Linux. I am sure he will give you a proper answer when he sees your message, but if he misses it, you can email him. You have his email addres at his profile at the Participants list on the upper left corner of the main page of this course.

I guess you have some kind of problems on your side: misconfiguration or software problems (I do not think it is Moodle's fault). Anyway, ask the expert: Eloy. He is a smart an very collaborative person.

Hope this helps. smile
In reply to David Delgado

Re: moodledata/temp/backup very large

by Lars Jensen -
Hi David,

Thanks for your help - I did contact Eloy, and he confirmed that the files in there are not important and can be deleted (as long as no backups are in progress during the deletion).

What I think happened was that a course backup (of a huge course) had gone wrong - possibly interrupted several times in the middle. This had put a lot of files in moodledata/temp,  making my own backup huge (I do my own backup).

The problem seems to have gone away now.

Lars.