Problems with role assignment in Moodle 1.7

Problems with role assignment in Moodle 1.7

by Harry Berends -
Number of replies: 2
I am new to Moodle, so perhaps I am making an obvious error, but I am having problems with roles assignment in Moodle 1.7 In some cases, once I assign a role to a pareticipant in a course, I cannot remove or change it. In other cases, though I assign a role such as course creator or teacher to the teacher of a course, it refuses to appear against that course. Is this an error of mine or a flaw in the program? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Harry Berends

Re: Problems with role assignment in Moodle 1.7

by Greg Lyon -
I'm not sure if this is the issue, Harry, but you really have to watch where you are when you make a role assignment. There's such thing as assigning a teacher moodle-wide, and assigning one to a category, or just to a course...

So, if you assigned somebody teacher capability in the Admin block...Users->permissions->assign roles you're doing it at the 'site' context, whereas if you assign a teacher to a course, you are doing it at the context of that particular course.

The tricky part is that teachers who have been assigned at the site level won't show up in the list of instructors in the Assign Roles screen for the course...You can prove this to yourself by looking at a teacher's profile. There you will see a list of all of their courses (no matter at what context they were assigned).
In reply to Greg Lyon

Re: Problems with role assignment in Moodle 1.7

by Harry Berends -
Thanks, Greg, but that does not seem to be the answer. Though I make sure I do not assign a teacher role in the site context, only in a specific subject context, the teacher’s name still does not show up. It also does not register in the teacher’s profile.