moodle VS sumtotal

moodle VS sumtotal

by andrea gulp -
Number of replies: 16

I'm looking for some information about sumtotal.

Many people are telling me that my positive outlook on moodle will drop as soon as I will try a LMS like sumtotal.

Now, I know about sumtotal license, but it’is not enough for my head office. He's willing to spend more money for a better platform "Is a long term asset" he said.

Please, give me some strong argument about moodle VS sumtotal.

tanks...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to andrea gulp

Re: moodle VS sumtotal

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have been reading the Moodle forums for about 3 years, researching e-learning for longer than that and recently completed a PGCE (teaching qualification) that included a research component into learning technology. The first time I have heard of sumtotal was when I just read your post. This may tell you something about the profile of the product.

Could you expand on the details of why the many people have told you that your positive outlook on moodle will drop if you look at sumtotal. Perhaps you can get them to give a description of the features, management interfaces, philosophical approach (pedagogical ideas) and the development/support community behind the product.
In reply to andrea gulp

by Peter Sereinigg -

Same me,

i am looking for eLearning  tools since years, but never heard about sumtotal.

I had a brieve look at that page: There are a lot of case studies (if somebody needs templates - download them übel)

A lot of studies comparing tools like moodle have been written. Most of them are done by peolple, who do this in just view days or weeks - no idea how this works...

If you find a ready-to-go solution, which is very close to your situation and its successfull - take it...

Moodle is like a big Switzerland-Knife, a perfect tool - when you know how to use it - look at Mc Gyver, with just view things - he survives. And eLearning sometimes is surviving in the training ...

Ask your managers for a demonstration - best practice excamples normaly changes managers minds.

Ask them for external experts - to show them the opportunities - there are a lot in the moodle community

And then tell them - investments will be done just in training skills of your members ...

Peter

In reply to andrea gulp

by Henry Johnson -
Being someone who has been involved in academic education for many years, I also have not come across SumTotal. Looks like a corporate training tool. Also looks pricey. When I did a stint as an Oracle administrator, I got a feel for the "corporate" model. Oracle sold a solution, but it was "buyer beware". The poor suits got conned into buying what they thought was a "state of the art", fortune 500, bee's knees solution that would make them lots of cash. But they had no idea of the hardware and resources needed to run it. I was hired after their existing IT staff quit because of the lack of resources. At the subsequent training courses I had to go to so Oracle support would talk to me, I overheard Oracle sales staff laughing about companies they had sold to, but had no money left to actually implement the product!

A quick look at SumTotal and I could find no technical specs on it. Just a lot of sales hype on how good they are at finishing their installs and migration projects. Maybe they do, but it will cost and if, like the experience I had with Oracle, they think your company is not a "big player", they may ignore your cries for help AFTER the cheque has cleared. Moodle costs nothing. You have complete control, and the help of 1000's of programmers and educators to help you create the resources you need. It'll run on a laptop, a Mac, a high end *inux server. And it may not be what your site needs. But you can run a pilot project, or a "feasibility study" and see.

Good luck!
In reply to Henry Johnson

by andrea gulp -

I would like tanks every ones are helping me...

Every thing I'm reading looks has extremely sense...

What sumtotal platform seems does better than anyone else is the tracking of the skill.

Especially what is very attractive for my head office is the automatic of some activities related with skill measurement, especially:

- You can set a map of relevant skill

- see where are skills gaps

- so you can delivery in automatation targeting courses

- You can have all reports about skill in standard format documents.

Can moodle do this stuff in automatic?

In reply to andrea gulp

by Mark Aberdour -
Hi Andrea,

Sumtotal was created in 2004 from a merger between Click2Learn (makers of Aspen LMS) and Docent (which should need no introduction), and Sumtotal then acquired Pathlore in 2005. So Sumtotal is made up of three of the biggest names in the Enterprise LMS world. Possibly the reason some Moodlers haven't heard of it is that Moodle predominantly (although certainly not uniquely) operates in the academic world, whereas Sumtotal (and the three LMSes which preceded it) predominately operates in the corporate/blue chip world. I've been working for a UK e-learning content development company for 10 years and have come across Pathlore and Aspen environments at our client sites many times, however not nearly as much as Docent, which is incredibly popular. Many Docent customers are now upgrading to the latest version of Sumtotal LMS, some major UK clients of ours are just migrating their environments at the moment. Sumtotal is massive, make no mistake about it.

Regarding the pros and cons of each, the big advantage of Moodle is that it is hugely configurable. Docent and those enterprise LMSes are all well and good if you want to deliver learning to hundreds or thousands of employees and create magnificent management reports and integrate with your HR system, etc, but it's a very formal, top-down approach to learning, and is nowhere near as collaborative and social (i.e. 'informal') an environment as Moodle. As 'informal learning' seems to be the big buzzword this year, Moodle supports that better than any proprietary system, so you could use the formal vs informal learning argument in your case too, try Googling that one! I have lots of informal learning links on del.icio.us at http://del.icio.us/elearning2.0 too, more technical than pedagogic stuff, but may be of interest.

Moodle is also infinitely more extensible than Sumtotal, and I think that is its greatest advantage. The amount of out-of-the-box modules that come with Moodle and can be enabled/disabled is impressive, and the amount of third party modules that you can download and plug in it is truly amazing. It really is the most configurable and extenible LMS I've ever seen, and I've worked with most of the major corporate and academic LMSes in the UK market. In a nutshell, you will be able to make it fit the needs of your organisation's learning strategy, rather than having to do the opposite and design your learning strategy to meet the needs of a proprietary off-the-shelf package.

The other advantage of course is that it's open source. It is a hugely popular open source project, professionally developed and supported but with an immense user and developer community which means that informal support via the forums is excellent. As a popular open source project you can bet it will continue to be developed and extended at a much faster pace than any proprietary LMS. It is also so popular that numerous professional support services have sprung up around it (Moodle Partners) - so paid-for support is available if you want it. Check out http://www.opensource.org/advocacy/case_for_business.php to find many more generic points and mythbusters about why open source is good for your business.

I don't think your positive outlook on Moodle would drop at all if you see any other proprietary LMS. In general I find the proprietary enterprise LMSes to be pretty badly designed from an administrative user's perspective, and overly complex for many organisation's needs, especially small and medium sized enterprises (SME's). If you are an SME, and wish to foster a social, collaborative approach to learning, Moodle is the way to go. Many of our clients, of all sizes including national public sector bodies, who don't have an LMS presently but wish to install one, are choosing Moodle. And the Open University has now gone live with Moodle for 12,000 students, as if you need proof that it suits the larger organisations too.

Good luck with your business case,
Mark
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Aberdour

by andrea gulp -

Tanks a lot, that's great

I have got some information for tomorrow's meeting.

We will decide if is profitable to change our platform with sumtotal or not.

Sumtotal supporters will argue more or less that (they recognized what Henry said about Oracle problems):

"I can tell you that if the interface works well, the tracking system can be absolutely amazing and a wonderful way not only to track registration and completion of courses across the board, but to use the education and training goals from personnel assessments to keep employees on track with required courses and with progress toward their career development goals.  I like the way "self-reported" training is configured into the system.  In this way, if an employee takes a required course at a college or a business institute, the employee can report that training and get credit toward promotion and raises."

What can I answer? Are there any thirds parts to cover that features with moodle?  Is possible to integrate moodle with our HR system as Mark said is surely possible with sumtotal?

Tanks a lot

I hope I will win this case to join moodle comunity 

In reply to andrea gulp

by Mark Aberdour -
Moodle does track student progress and it is fully SCORM 1.2/2004 compliant, so the tracking capabilities are all there. Both Moodle and Sumtotal implement the SCORM 1.2 model to LMS-RTE3 standard, which means all mandatory and optional SCORM elements are supported. So regarding registration/completion tracking there's absolutely no difference between, except that Docent probably has more extensive management reporting capabilities, but then you can create your own Moodle reports if you wish. I am not sure whether they both support the SCORM 2004 model in it's entirety though, you'd need to check that one out.

What Moodle doesn't do is all the HR management stuff, I guess as it's designed around academic rather than corporate requirements, so it doesn't do all the complex HR functionality around training needs analysis. As Moodle is open source I'm sure it would be possible to develop a Moodle module to integrate with an HR system but obviously it would cost you. If your HR system has an open API then you could commission this yourselves, if not maybe your HR system vendor could write such a module. Either way I'm sure it would be useful to the Moodle community. What HR System do you use, out of interest? The real question of course, is what would be cheaper - develop a Moodle module to integrate it with your existing HR system, or buy a Sumtotal license for your whole organisation? It's worth weighing up, Sumtotal certainly isn't cheap.
In reply to Mark Aberdour

by Martín Langhoff -
And out here in NZ we are looking at better integration with HR tools too. Don't have a definite timeframe, but it's in the cards... wink
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by andrea gulp -

Ok today's meeting has not been a war as I tough!!! good

In brief:

Maybe sumtotal is not a good solution, but maybe pathlore; we can have it for few money tanks to a partnership with some unknown...it doesn't make much sense to me.

Moodle has been criticized because is interface: "is too confused" and for lacking HR reports. 

Atutor seems to be more user friendly, but same as moodle about HR reports.

So, I have got some more time to get my self in that issue.

I'm looking what Martins & co. are doing in NZ, especially DART project.

Is dart interoperable with moodle? I guess yes! But I'm not very sure...

tanks

ciao ciao

In reply to andrea gulp

by Mark Aberdour -
Hi Andrea,

If you think Moodle is confusing, wait til you see Pathlore! LOL ;)

Pathlore recently upgraded to SCORM 2004 but changed some of the user interface as well, for the worse! We tried uploading a SCORM object and it had several of us well and truly stumped! Moodle is easier. But all LMSes have their quirks and take a bit of getting used to.

Good luck anyway, and keep us all posted.
Mark
In reply to andrea gulp

by Michael Penney -
I think this is key:

"Is a long term asset" he said.

In my opinion, a rented house is not really an asset, it is more of a liability:
  • you have to keep paying every year to use it,
  • the rent might go up at any time,
  • and there is a high cost of moving to another house.

Likewise I'd say a rented classroom. Perhaps likewise a rented virtual classroom.

If you look at the cost of your license over the period you plan to use an LMS as rent, take that rent money and instead invest it in building into Moodle tools that improve your teaching and your student's learning, then you have an assetsmile.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by ramon lazo -
i just applied for a job at Berkeley National Lab and they are using the SumTotal system.

this tread stopped in late 2006 and it is now early 2008, so i wonder if SumTotal has improved during that time.

i have yet to see Sumtotal -- i applied for their 'free' 30-day test drive and am curious to see how this stacks up against Moodle.

my preconceptions are that SumTotal will appear to be a managed system that is going to be pay to play -- 'you want this...you pay'. this is not the right attitude for online learning management systems. moodle, as difficult and as clunky as it can be at it's present state will only get better in the future and is light years ahead of other systems i have seen or used.

i am surprised that BNL has bought into the Sumtotal system. seems to me that the admins did not do their homework.

In reply to andrea gulp

by John D. Black -

I convinced our corporation to run a "Proof of Concept" project with Moodle. big grin They are using the SumTotal LMS (without the Learning Content Management System). Does anybody have any information how we can get the 2 systems to talk to each other?