Using Moodle to "penpal" with other countries?

Using Moodle to "penpal" with other countries?

by Tracy Houston -
Number of replies: 6

Does anyone know if there is a way to somehow get students from other countries (I am in the US) to interact with my students?  For instance, if we are doing a unit on Volcanoes, is there a way to contact students using Moodle near Mt. Etna or on Iceland?  I would like my students to be able to ask questions first hand from kids who live near things we are studying.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tracy Houston

Re: Using Moodle to "penpal" with other countries?

by Timothy Takemoto -

I am not sure about how to use your Moodle to penpal but, if you study Japan then I can recommend
Japan Penpal
And on the language forums the following exchange sites have been recommended
eTom by Moodlers Gary Hursh and Gary Cziko using a moodle installation
Mylanguageexhange
xLingo
eTandem
Mixxer
Conversation Exchange
Since a lot of places are keen to learn English you may find that others may wish to talk about the environment in which they live for language practice.

You can also ask at
The Exchange (a course here at Moodle.org)
Moodlerooms 

In the longer term it may be possible to interconnect moodles in a P2P network formation. Martin Langhoff and team are working towards this now. I think if Moodles could interconnet with each other p2p then it would be a cool way of allowing students in different countries to interact.

Timothy

by Avryl Ramírez Nava -

Hey tracey !

My name´s avryl, i am 14 years old i live in México city,  i am a student and i really don´t know if i can help you but i´ll do my best ok? near where i live there´s a volcanoe it´s called the popocatepelt and you know , for being sincere it doesn´t make anything interesting , sometimes it throws out like a white cloud but nothing else smile haha Well i think that´s all i can do for you and something else , can you write me back just to see if my writing is good i mean i speak spanish but i am trying to improve my english ok?

Thank you

yours Avryl

In reply to Avryl Ramírez Nava

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Avryl,

I suggest you try sharedtalk.com or the other links that Timothy provided. Unfortunately, this site is not for email exchange, but technical help for teachers who use Moodle.

Cheers,
Don

by Clare Wallace -
Actually I think this is a really great idea and one that we could promote through a social forum like this. The issue is however how we make sure that we deal with e-safety issues in the process. I know it is one of the big promotional tools that other commercial elearning systems promote [having had to sit through many sales pitches smile]

As the Moodle community grows I certainly see this as an exciting and worthwhile opportunity.

Kind regards
Clare

Moodle Signup form

by udhayakumar R -

I need to modify moodle signup form, for that i need to add dropdown box, radio buttons and events for them. i just added dropdown box but in moodle they calling it from a file called countries, same i couldnt, so please tel me the full flow of the form items how they are interconnected

Attachment moodleregform.png