Rewards and Reputation

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 4

ProZ Kudoz
are pretty much the same as
  Google Answers Points
   Yahoo Answers Points
   Experts Exchange Points
   And it is not all that different to the evalaute the seller/buyer systems on ebay.

The question poster is encouraged to select a correct answer to their question. 

The notion of questions and answers is rather too far from the Moodle forums but, Moodle forums have grading. It would not be too difficult to allow forum grading to affect group membership. 

It would also be an easy matter to add the number of posts as in most other forums. 

I found that Kudoz works pretty well. There does not seem to be ill feeling that I am aware of but I believe there were suggestions that somewhere posting questions to answer them, and similarly it would be possible for people to grade themslelves.

At proz Kudoz points affect the order that translators are displayed on the user list and thus to an extent the amount of work they get. First on the list are paying members according to their Kudoz rank, and then non paying members according to their Kuzoz rank. It would be interesting to see Moodle Partners given points or perhaps, "cigars," smile and then have the Moodle Partner's in the order that they helped out here.

I think that at Google Answers, Yahoo Answers, and even Experts Exchange (a misnomer) however, people compete for points even though they are not exchanged for anything.

But who wants democracy and decentralisation any?  A couple of things -
1) Perhaps "monarcharies" or "flocks of birds," and other groups that have leaders are better, more cohesive than those that do not have leaders. I tend to think so. But at the same time, dictatorships are clearly no-ones cup of tea. The ideal group may have the right balance of leadership and democracy. Perhaps we have that already.
2) It seems to me that social constructivism is a very democratic pedagogy. As I have often mentioned, I am a wet, a take-the-middle-road person when it comes to pedagogy, and similarly with regards to community building.

Timothy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Rewards and Reputation

by Frances Bell -
Tim,
I have split this to a new topic as I think it would be really good to get some discussion going about this. What do others think?
(Possibly being a Brit) I am even a bit reluctant to use grading systems, but I am sure others must have had some interesting experiences of visible 'roles' and reputation. I had my fingers burned on eBay last year when I was foolish enough to give negative feedback to someone who failed to complete a transaction. This was definitely learning by experience surprise.
Thinking about what Tim said about Moodle partners, rather than rnaking them, it might just be useful to be able to see from the post that someone was a partner, and maybe even a Particulalrly Helpful Moodler.
So, what experiences have you had that might be relevant to Moodle?
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by James Phillips -
You can maybe add the Amazon reviewer to that list.

Just to give a different viewpoint (and speaking as somebody who has recruited people from ProZ in the past) I can actually say that when it came to selecting somebody from the list that the Kudoz system played no part whatsoever in that decision. In fact, it probably had the opposite effect, in that anybody who had lots of time to answer questions probably didn't have much work and were therefore probably not very good. From a practical point of view I think the system was more to do with building up trust in the site itself (and the people on it) in giving the users an identity (to alleviate the risk that the person is not who they say they are, which is always a risk when you use the net to find translators (and sometimes a risk when you don't . . .)). And of course, it gets a lot more hits for the site itself . . .
In reply to James Phillips

by Frances Bell -
I just checked out the Amazon.co.uk top reviewer system on Amazon Help. It seems that there is no direct financial advantage to the reviewer - is that your understanding James?