Attention Elluminate Users!

Attention Elluminate Users!

por Bryan Williams -
Number of replies: 32
Elluminate Inc. has announced an integration with Moodle this past week at EDUCAUSE 2006 in Dallas Texas. With this integration an instructor or admin can now add an Elluminate Live! meeting activity within their Moodle course from the 'Add an activity' drop-down list.  All meeting setup is done within Moodle rather than the Elluminate management portal. There are options for grading and for accessing pre-recorded meetings. Participant sign-on is passed from Moodle to Elluminate when they enter a meeting (single sign-on). A brief description of the integration is shown below.  This module has been contributed by members of the Moodle Partners program. Support for this module will be available in the US through Remote-Learner.net and in Canada through Open Knowledge Technologies. Elluminate users and interested parties should contact their Elluminate representative for installation and support details. 

Fig. 1
After installation a new module called 'Elluminate Live! Meeting' shows in Moodle Admin|Modules. When you click Settings Fig. 2 appears.

modscrn 

Fig. 2
Settings reveals properties for the Elluminate Live! server location. Web services in Moodle make a connection with the Elluminate administrative backend.

modscrn2

Fig. 3
Adding an Elluminate Live! meeting activity starts with making a selection from the 'Add an activity' drop-down list. Participants simply click the meeting activity link within the section area of the course where it appears, which launches like any other activity.

There is an Elluminate Live! 'block' that displays Recent recordings (upper right) available to participants who missed an event.

course2

Fig. 4
When setting up a meeting the course creator can specify a description, time and date and whether the meeting should be recorded. Teacher can also assign a Grade value for attendance and specify whether this will be a private meeting. Moodle's Calendar is automatically populated with the meeting for course and / or user event. 

course1
Fig. 5
If a Grade attendance is set in Fig. 4 teacher can enter a value for each student participating in the meeting after completion of the event. Fig. 5 shows that Moodle's default 'Connected/Separate' scale was used to rate attendee's participation in the meeting.  Attendance grades are done automatically when a user loads a meeting.
grade

Fig. 6
 This is the attendance page for 'Test Meeting 01'.  The admin/teacher has the option of updating the automatic attendance that is set when a user clicks on the join meeting link (Fig. 7). A user could, in theory, click an activity link and be marked as attended so a teacher can update that status after the meeting if it's incorrect.

attend
Fig. 7
 This image shows what an admin/teacher would see when the activity link for a meeting is launched. Students would see the 'Join meeting' link only, if the date for the meeting has not expired.
meeting1
Fig. 8
The ElluminateLive! meeting is set up completely within Moodle. Fig. 8 illustrates how 'Moderators' for the meeting are added from available course users who are designated teacher users. In the future when Moodle has Roles added this feature will evolve to allow student mentors for example to be added as a meeting moderator.  
mod3
Fig. 9
Figure 9 shows how student users within the course are added to an Elluminate Live! meeting activity.  
meet3
Fig. 10
All standard Reports and Logs are available within Moodle's 'Activity report' screens for admin/teacher. 
Fig. 11
Figure 11 shows the Elluminate administrator interface listing the meeting that was set up within Moodle. This is an example of how Moodle's Web services adaptors can communicate with other technologies within an organizations stack. 
elluminate1

Fig. 12
Showing all the users who exist on the Elluminate Live! server.  legacyadapter and
serversupport are default admin accounts created by Elluminate Live! on install.  Elluminate Live! user accounts are created automatically on the server and there is no second sign-on needed when accessing a meeting or recording from Moodle.

elluminate3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bryan Williams

Re: Attention Elluminate Users!

por Julian Ridden -
That is a great implementation. Kudos to all involved. While sadly beyond my price range, Elluminate is a great product and this tie in will make it easier than ever to integrate seamlessly for students.

por Vu Hung -
Thanks for the info, Bryan. That's great!

por Art Lader -
Wow, that is a truly helpful tutorial, Bryan. Maybe it could go into the docs wiki?

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

por Justin Filip -
Done & done.

It's very basic right now but I'll expand it later:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/ElluminateLive_module
In reply to Justin Filip

por Art Lader -
Looks good, Justin. I am sure there will be folks who will be glad to find it there.

-- Art

por Richard Treves -
Bryan,

Elluminate is a good product and I'm glad to see commercial software integrating with Moodle.  However, even though this is post aimed at Elluminate users I think for someone who is unfamilar with this community you should disclose your relationship with Elluminate, it could be read that this post was written by an impartial observer (admittedly you'd have to be half asleep to do so smile ).  I'm also a little concerned about the sentence:

"This module has been contributed by members of the Moodle Partners program"

I have no problem that the partners contribute to modules tying in with commercial software, but I worry that statements like that make it seem that Elluminate is endorsed by Moodle in some way.    Again,  I'm thinking of newbie users, anyone who has followed discussions here will know otherwise and know of packages such as dimdim etc.  How do the partners choose between development that just benefits Moodle and development that benefits Moodle and a commercial organisation?

Am I correct that users still need to install elluminate software on their machines to access meetings?

Finally, IMHO Bryan thoroughly deserves his membership of 'particularly helpful moodlers', he was a great help to me when I first started customising the look of moodle to the extent of even designing an alternative template for me.

Rich

In reply to Richard Treves

por Bryan Williams -
Richard,

This is not the first project that Moodle partners have contributed that integrates with commercial software, and will certainly not be the last. For example, last year the HarvestRoad Hive document management system was integrated into Moodle. Very soon Moodle itself will run under both Oracle and Microsoft SQL servers. Many in the coommunity welcome the fact that Moodle plays well with other software, both commercial and open source.  There are too many really good commercial applications that folks want to see working more closely with Moodle to just ignore this.  

As far as Remote-Learner's affliation with Elluminate goes that is publicly displayed on our website and has been for the past three years. This in no way implies an endorsement by Moodle of Elluminate, any more than the previously mentioned integration projects with commercial software would. I don't think Martin will ever endorse things in this manner! However most Moodle partners do offer a range of services in support of e-learning. Some of those services include best of breed in certain categories like say live meeting technology.

We are in fact looking at other integration projects like commercial student information systems (e.g. Banner, DataTel, PowerSchool etc.) because folks are asking. That is the criteria I think that some Moodle partners use to "choose between development" as you would say, when looking at what needs to be done. Hope this is ok and that my post did not come across as just a plug. We put a lot of effort into this for those in the community that use Elluminate and just wanted everyone to know. Justin Filip with Open Knowledge Technologies is the creator of this new module and it should be available for download here at Moodle.org shortly. Because you must be an Elluminate client to use this feature support will be through their organization.

por Richard Treves -

This is not the first project that Moodle partners have contributed that integrates with commercial software, and will certainly not be the last. For example, last year the HarvestRoad Hive document management system was integrated into Moodle. Very soon Moodle itself will run under both Oracle and Microsoft SQL servers. Many in the coommunity welcome the fact that Moodle plays well with other software, both commercial and open source.  There are too many really good commercial applications that folks want to see working more closely with Moodle to just ignore this.  

I welcome the fact that Moodle plays well with other software, especially the microsoft servers, one in the eye for people I know who still think that OSS can be ignored and microsoft products are the obvious choice for software smile

As far as Remote-Learner's affliation with Elluminate goes that is publicly displayed on our website and has been for the past three years. This in no way implies an endorsement by Moodle of Elluminate, any more than the previously mentioned integration projects with commercial software would. I don't think Martin will ever endorse things in this manner! However most Moodle partners do offer a range of services in support of e-learning. Some of those services include best of breed in certain categories like say live meeting technology.

That's all fine, my point was that a newbie on these forums wouldn't know of the relationship between Remote-Learner and Elluminate and I think (and I say this gently) its always better to spell these things out clearly.  I wasn't saying you have been trying to mislead us in any way - I agree your affiliations are publicly stated.

We are in fact looking at other integration projects like commercial student information systems (e.g. Banner, DataTel, PowerSchool etc.) because folks are asking. That is the criteria I think that some Moodle partners use to "choose between development" as you would say, when looking at what needs to be done.

Getting Moodle to integrate with commercial software is very important, especially when satisfying clients needs.  However, IMHO there is a potential conflict of interest when  the partners say 'we are ploughing back some of what we make into  Moodle development' -, and then that development is to link up Moodle with other commercial software that the partners are already affiliated with. 

Hope this is ok and that my post did not come across as just a plug.
It isn't a plug but I think it leans that way, if you'd have made your affiliation clear I think I'd have felt less disquiet.

We put a lot of effort into this for those in the community that use Elluminate and just wanted everyone to know. Justin Filip with Open Knowledge Technologies is the creator of this new module and it should be available for download here at Moodle.org shortly. Because you must be an Elluminate client to use this feature support will be through their organization.

Great and best wishes for further integration, work and projects.   I hope I'm not down to the splitting hairs level of criticism in my posts on this, I think that Moodle's relationship with commercial software and commercial companies such as the partners is potentially very powerful but that the relationship is tricky.  If people begin to perceive (and unfortunately it is perception that is important, the facts often get lost in opinions) that Moodle has an unhealthy relationship with commerce then that will strongly affect its reputation.  So I thought the subject was worth airing.

Rich

por elearning edu -

While cogratulating Bryan to post the latest development to a segment of Elluminate users in the moodle community he should have mentioned his business interest as

Authorized Moodle Partner
Authorized Elluminate Agent

for USA.

I still do not understand the logic of his posting his partnership and agency activity in the using moodle course while he used toxic words against me when I did only a passing mention about my work in the business uses course.

It is unfortunate that an equitable treatment and temperance are not followed in my case and partner like Bryan unconsciously assume big brother attitude. at times. 

Who will understand our problems in developing countries where we need affordable open source solutions and not the high cost high bandwidth products and services.

I was injured by the words used by Bryan against me and this post adds insult to my injury.

Nagarajan

Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to elearning edu

por Frances Bell -
Well put Nagarajan.
I read Bryan's post to you in the business Uses course - he said
"Please do not promote your business here. I think Ralf's suggestion that an authorized Moodle partner be contacted is more appropriate. There will be a Moodle partner in India shortly for those needing services."
So we do need some clarification on the business ethic here.
Is it:
OK for Moodle partners to solicit business here?
OK for Moodle partners to solicit business here if they disclose that they are partners?
Ok for non-Moodle partners to solicit business in a country where there is no Moodle partner?
Nagarajan's point about the need for affordable open source solutions in developing countries is crucial.
What will Moodle's role in pricing be in these countries?  Who will be the Moodle partners in developing countries?

por Don Quixote -
My dear Nagarajan!

well, most of what happens can be explained by the fact, that we are currently at the eve of the late capitalist period.

Apparently, we are experiencing the big clash between the greedy and the stingy. Either you try to earn some money by cheating on your customers or you try to get for free what others' have created with a certain effort. In order to make a living we want to be on the greedy side (no effort - big earnings is what counts, sell bull***t as gold, deceive everyone with our nice marketing/sales strategies). In order to actually live, we want to have everything for free, don't allow anything to someone else, stinginess is the most exciting thing we know.

So, now I ask you: Why should the Moodle Community be better? Why should the OpenSource Community be better? Are you seriously looking for the hidden paradise, the sect, who separated itself from the ugly reality?

I think Moodle has been hijacked already some years ago by Bryan and Remote-Learners, who is one of the strong guys behind it. It appears to me, that for him, Moodle is just a marketing/sales instrument to sell his Elluminate software. It seems weird to me, that a system like Moodle, which is as complex (if not more complex) than Elluminate should be given for free, where the other one is very expensive (then containing the costs of Moodle). IMO, this is a very weird strategy, very intransparent, but it is his decision... The rest is just my personal opinion. And if you look around there are a lot of strategies. Actually it is a very interesting area to investigate! (You probably know that, as you are a professor of marketing, if I am not wrong.)

And, I don't even mind Bryan for this. As said above, it's the way things go.

Also, I remember that some years ago, you approached me for a "project". You appeared to be a very interesting "customer". Quickly it showed then however, that you actually just wanted to sell me your Indian programmers. This too, is a very nice sales strategy. I call it "selling by buying" or rather "selling by pretending to buy something". I don't mind this either. As said above, it's the way things go.

So, back again from these specific anectodes to the more general view. We are mainly all sitting in the "big sh**" with our societies, aren't we? (Don't openly agree with this! This wouldn't be cool and you could just be seen as a loser!) We have a system and an implied ethical behaviour that makes us all "greedy scrooges". It's even become a question of survival to be greedy and stingy at the right moment. But even more, the outlook at the eve of this late capitalist period isn't that good. What do we have as alternatives? The old-fashioned answers that have already shown to be as weird and bad as the current one? Boy, we are really sitting in deep sh**.

Or to spread some positive vibes: The eve of late capitalism is a very interesting period and what is to come is a great challenge! No, we certainly won't be bored.

Don Quixote

PS:
As always, please forgive my rusty English...
In reply to Don Quixote

por Frances Bell -

Oh dear,

We won't be engaging Don Quixote in conversation as he has already disappeared as a participant.

In reply to Frances Bell

por Don Quixote -
surprise wink

thoughtful ... Who the hell says that I am no longer participating? ... clown
In reply to Don Quixote

por N Hansen -
Andreas-How is the weather there in Biels, Switzerland?
In reply to N Hansen

por Don Quixote -
So, so. It's getting fall now (temps below 20 °C). But sun is currently shining cool

You are certainly thinking "gotcha", right? clown tongueout Funny, but I don't mind... gotcha you cola llingua fuera

Btw, it's "Biel" not "Biels". broma
In reply to Frances Bell

por N Hansen -
Frances-When I click on this Don Quixote link I get the following:

The details of this user are not available to you.

Now, I'm trying to determine if this is a 1.7 bug or if you have done something, as in the past if you clicked on someone who was no longer enrolled it told you the person was no longer enrolled. What do you know about this?

As for Elluminate, my experience using it on a couple occassions was it has a lot of great features, but the sound quality is absolutely dismal. It sounds like the speaker is talking over a police radio, or buried inside a metal trash can full of trash.
In reply to N Hansen

por Frances Bell -

I sent my message above because DQ does not seem to be enrolled in this space (nothing to do with me) but is enrolled in Using Moodle.  I don't know how he can post without being enrolled. 

Dear Don,

If you aren't enrolling and unenrolling yourself perhaps you'd like to post it to the bugtracker

In reply to Frances Bell

por Don Quixote -
Well, I think this isn't a bug... it's a feature!

I just don't want to receive all postings by emails, so I have unsubscribed to the forum... Fortunately, this is possible (great feature!) as I really don't want to receive all those postings (particularly those from guys like Don Quixote broma) by email...
In reply to Don Quixote

por Frances Bell -
Hmm so are you enrolled on the course then?  I know about unsubcribe to forums. Always willing to admit my Moodle ignorance but I don't understand how you can post without being enrolled.  The consequence is that your user details seem to be hidden within this course (but not Using Moodle), thus making you seem rather mysterious ;-0
In reply to Frances Bell

por Don Quixote -
Well, actually I am mysterious broma

I've had a second look at it and it appears to me that the ancient "Open Social Forum" is just linking now to the new forum in the new course. That's why this seems to be possible.

Anyway, I could still be posting in a course's forum without being on the participant's list. Just need to enroll --> post --> unenroll sorrisa grande

Btw, for me, the participant list of the Moodle Lounge course is hidden!
In reply to Don Quixote

por N Hansen -
I've been wondering about that link. The way it works is very mysterious. If it is just a link to the forum in this course, then it should appear in Using Moodle as a link, not as an actual forum. But it appears there as a forum, constantly saying there is 1 unread post. Perhaps it has something to do with the way that Martin moved the forum from there to here.
In reply to N Hansen

por N Hansen -
Actually I just went to another Moodle course that I am not enrolled in and was able to enter directly. It is now added to the my courses list, but I don't show up on the list of new enrollees in the course. I see no way to remove any course from the list of my courses either. Definitely a bug or bugs.
In reply to N Hansen

por Rajeev Arora -
Hi there,

So, for complete transparency, I work for Elluminate sorrisa

N Hansen - I saw your post about sound quality in Elluminate. We usually get lots of compliments on the sound quality even on slow speed dialup modems etc, so I'd love to get you back in an Elluminate session and see if it may just have been some setup issue. Please let me know if you'd have a chance and be willing to do that.

Thanks,

Rajeev
In reply to Don Quixote

por elearning edu -

Hi Andreas,

What a great surprise!  Today only one of the maths teachers trained by you contacted and informed me that he left his employer and started his own company.  Though Moodle is labeled as free, it, potentially, is a viable commercial product/service.  Unlike MS moodle is flexible to forge alliance both with free and priced third party software. 

Moodle can be everywhere – in bazaar and in cathedral.

Moodle is like water and it must irrigate the poor man’s field as well as rich man’s vast area of operation.  Today water is privatized and commercialized.  The mega merchants exploit water (in India Coke and Pepsi leased rivers and water resources for their business) without realizing that they are not the creator and water is a common community resource.  For every one there must be an equitable opportunity to use, to sell and to make money in a fair and just manner.  From my country Mahatma said that it should be for every one’s need and not for any one’s greed.  

In the earlier discussion we  had a reference to what you mentioned – greediness, cheating and unmorality.  As a professor and business advisor I am exposed to business practices (both good and bad) in 14 countries ranging from off shore banking to petro chemicals. 

The story of Moodle is different.  It is good to view moodle as a merchandise.  In India all the three top companies – Wipro, Infosys and Tata use moodle.  Whenever they need help they ask me  with an assumption that there is no need to pay me because it is free software and Moodle partner is there only to help.

I did my best to do business with enterprise and they expect in turn moodlle as an enterprise and not a free wheeling community or a foundation.  We are not having suitable case studies or best practices from moodle to convince the enterprise to go for Moodle.

In my country we have a location having a board saying that this is the place were we have the world record for heaviest annual rain fall and we have the water problem.  If you remember once Martin almost decided to close the business uses course, It is only few of us persuading him not to close it with a promise that it will be flourishing.  

What is the current status of business use?  Why it is not vibrant?  If partners are the chosen few and they have to have all the cake and eat it then why we need to have business use course?  Why we are not able to create a cooperative of small business with encubators?

Andreas, I am not crossing sword with Bryan or elluminate ( I still have a business relationship with him and he is persuading me to bring SPARK to the moodle space as an opensource)

My concern is that the business uses must be a sanctuary for the small business with a slant towards affordability and availability to less affluent.  The other day there was a query for hosting and I though a cheap hosting may be helpful and with that intention I mentioned about my company.  I got a snub saying that only moodle partner will do that work and a moodle partnership already in the offing.  Hence I must mind my own business.  It is a pity that Moodle is like a Janus – one side open community and on the otherside high walled convent with tyrannical mother superiors. Ultimately the request was for a free web hosting from a region where dollar is dear.  I gave the free space and the problem was over.

Now the moral is that Moodle should not be hijacked.  Moodle should not be in the hands of American North European cartel alone (unfortunately the whole elearning control and manipulation remain with them)

Moodle is like light. Air and water – it is common.  Capitalists make money out of them.  However it should not be under the control of a syndicate. There must be room for everyone following the dictum of “unto the last” - silver coin for every one.

Andreas as DQ you are intriguing - disappear and appear as you wish exploiting the vulnerability of Moodle.  We have many differences but have one thing in common – we are the fallen angels – ex moodle partners.

I love to here your views often and wait for your frequent visit to the lounge.

Thanks for commenting my post.

Nagarajan   

por Don Quixote -
Hi Nagarajan,

first, hmm, I don't know why you don't call me by my real name, Don Quixote. Anyway... sorrisa

to most of what you have said (and to some of the questions)... just read above about the eve of late capitalism period.

"Andreas [who's that? ] as DQ you are intriguing - disappear and appear as you wish exploiting the vulnerability of Moodle."
Well, I am not doing any business related in the fartest to Moodle for years now, having a lot of other things to do. That's why I am not 24/7 on Moodle.org broma Why should I "exploit the vulnerability of Moodle"? Being serious for a second: I don't understand this...

"Fallen angels"
sorrisa grande Hmm, that's a bit too elevated, imo sorrisa grande. Frankly, Moodle as a software system doesn't interest me too much since I have left, just playing around sometimes with one or two private installations. But I think it's an interesting field of investigation with respect to sociology, economy, psychology, group dynamics etc. Actually this is an interesting field that has remained...

And well, if you think critics is harmful, then, ok, yes I am probably harming Moodle with my (very rare) postings. I don't agree, but acknowledge that it's a question of definition. However, only shooting me would actually prevent me from expressing my opinion.

"We have many differences but have one thing in common – we are the fallen angels – ex moodle partners."
Well, about this my dear... I am VERY pleased, believe me! For me, there are indefinitely more interesting and fascinating things to do. sorrisa grande Though, this hasn't anything to do with the Moodle partners or the Moodle partner scheme. Pure personal decision. (Well, and unlike the usual case, I mean it like that. Nothing to read between the lines.)

I'll keep posting until shot to death.

Don Quixote
In reply to Don Quixote

por Martin Dougiamas -
Imaxe de Core developers Imaxe de Documentation writers Imaxe de Moodle HQ Imaxe de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaxe de Plugin developers Imaxe de Testers
> I think Moodle has been hijacked already some years ago by Bryan and Remote-Learners

This is complete nonsense and needs to be pointed out as such. Yes, Remote Learner is one of the bigger partners but that just means they pay more royalties to the Moodle Trust and have more capability to contribute things like this Elluminate module.

The Moodle Trust runs the Moodle project. Partners have no say in the running of the Moodle project, they simply get more support.

If you want to know more about such things, please ask. Don't dream up stuff to make your posts sound more dramatic. broma
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

por Don Quixote -

well you really shouldn't be so surprised to hear complete nonsense from me anyway sorrisa grande

"Yes, Remote Learner is one of the bigger partners but that just means they pay more royalties to the Moodle Trust"

Actually that is what I exactly mean with "being hijacked". The one who pays is the one who commands...

Note, that I've even explicitly mentioned that I don't mind it. I have (had) no problems with Bryan. In fact, he is a nice guy. There is one point I have criticized as my personal view. I still stick to this. And the specific things, I really want to have them considered in the bigger frame of what I think is the eve of the late capitalism.

Don Quixote

PS:
Don't panic, I don't plan to post frequently.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

por Polly Helm -
Hello Martin, I am new to Moodle and would like to encorporate a seamless synchronous asset to my course materials and this Elluminate module sounds good, but I cannot find any forums or discussions that let me know if people have actually had success using it. Could you help me out with finding any current information on the status of using this tool in Moodle?
Thanks very much.
Polly
In reply to Polly Helm

por Brett Hinton -

Disclaimer: I do work part-time for Remote-Learner, though my "day job" is as an Instructional Technologist for a Arizona public school district.

With that disclaimer aside, I have used Elluminate with Moodle via the Elluminate Live module and it works very well.  The Elluminate Live module is available via the Modules database here on Moodle.org, but of course you must have an Elluminate license/server to be able connect the module to.  A good example that will be available through the end of March 2007 is located at http://epp.remote-learner.net where you can sign up and look at the E-Learning Proficiency Program course, it has several examples you can see in order to judge for yourself how well Elluminate works.

If you would like further information please feel free to message me via my profile page, other good sources of information would be Michelle Moore and/or Bryan Williams.  They work for Remote-Learner who (along with Open Knowledge Technologies) sponsored the development of this module/capability.

In reply to Don Quixote

por David Smiths -
I think it makes better sense for tools like Wiziq's free virtual classroom and the open source Sloodle to have a presence on Moodle, which offer so much value to the education community because these are free and offer excellent features. The education community is by and large quite excited by the prospects these tools bring: http://www.thethinkingstick.com/?p=574
In reply to David Smiths

Re: Wiziq

por Manish Verma -
Hi David,

The first thing that comes to my mind regarding Wiziq is the animations in PowerPoint since they provide Authorlive conferencing system. Few conferencing systems can do that currently without application/desktop sharing.

I sent them some questions to which they never replied:
  • Will advertising be introduced in future?
  • Can recording be deleted by the teacher?
  • Can recording be downloaded to the hard disk?
Manish.