Help: Problem with Algebra AND Tex Filter

Help: Problem with Algebra AND Tex Filter

by Semih Sayginer -
Number of replies: 1
I recently activated both Tex and Algebra filters. When I try the Algebra filter I get "Undetermined Error:"

When I try the Tex filter I get nothing. For example I'll type "What is $$ sqrt( x + y ) $$ equal to?" and I'll get "What is equal to?"

Does anyone know how I could solve this issue?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Semih Sayginer

Re: Help: Problem with Algebra AND Tex Filter

by Henry Johnson -
Hi Semih,

Don't know what system you are using, but the Tex and Algebra use programs outside of moodle to do their stuff. I too had the "Undetermined Error" for the ALgebra filter and a search through the forums didn't give me a clear answer but some clues!

I'm running an Ubuntu Linux server with all the latest versions of software. Seems the default install of Perl (the program the Algebra filter uses) under Ubuntu does not have all the required Perl modules installed. I needed to install these two:

HTML::Entities
HTML::Tagset

How you install and enable these are dependent on what type of server you are running. And in my case, a firewall prevented me from using the inbuilt Perl CPAN install utility, so I had to it manually.

How did I work out what I needed? I simply ran the Algebra filter perl script on the command line and looked at the errors! On my system it was:

root@moodle:/usr/share/moodle/filter/algebra/algebra2tex.pl

I suspect the problems with the Tex Filter are also due to not having the correct "helper" programs installed or configured!

Cheers!
Henry