A Good Editor for php files

A Good Editor for php files

by Susan Silverman -
Number of replies: 16

I have been using Dreamweaver MX2004 with no problems until tonight.  I was playing with a new cms system I may be interested in and ran into a slew of problems because Dreamweaver corrupted a .php file.  First time ever for me.  I have used DW to edit Moodle, php-nuke, postnuke, and the .php files I create while I learn the programming language.

My question then, is there a free solution to using DM to edit php pages, or a low cost one?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Silverman

Re: A Good Editor for php files

by Williams Castillo -
Sure! PhpEdit
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Williams Castillo

by Bryan Williams -

Will,

Do you use the older v.6 stable, or the latest developer build (v.8 I believe)?

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Williams Castillo -
The latest... smile I like to live & walk in the bledding edge... smile

I think it is far heavy than the 6... but the version 6 has problems with large files.

Will

by John Lacey -
ultraedit is an excellent low-cost ($35 ) editor and worth the modest price IMHO

John

by Dave Ray -

Another good php editor --Html Kit--  which also has components
for mysql data-bases etc. And is free.

Dave

by Les Lusk -
HTML-kit - is clean, fast and free.  There are a lot of language specific plug-ins especially dealing with PHP and MySQL.  Also if you are "design-challenged" and need color schemes, download the SLUGS plug-in...

by Hans de Zwart -
I like Crimson Editor a lot. Fast, great find in files function, Tabbed, Plugin for many programming and scripting languages, opening of files remotely using FTP and best of all free.
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Does Crimson Editor separate out the functions, methods and properties of a PHP file (like PHPEdit and Eclipse)? If it does, I'll give it a try.

I tried PHPEdit, but it wouldn't group files into projects and didn't have a built-in find in file. The only thing that frustrates me about Eclipse is there is no word wrap.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Janne Mikkonen -
No, I don't think so but there's some quite nice features in CrimsonEditor like save in Unix format, Remove trailing white spaces before saving, convert tabs to spaces before saving, regular expression search +++

It's a good and small editor and It couldn't hurt if it's on your desktop big grin. (I like PHPEdit too).

by Hans de Zwart -
No Janne is right it does not separate out functions, methods and properties. However it does the things Janne says and it can group files into projects. Word wrap is there as well. Enjoy...

by Chris Luther -

Is the question "what is a good free or low-cost tool to EDIT PHP pages" or is it  "what is a good free or low-cost tool to manage PHP projects"? 

Now I haven't done an assessment of the entire tools market, but the PHPEclipse platform shows promise as a full-featured PHP IDE.  While admittedly it may be a bit confusing, I find that once you spend time getting to know its many features you that as a aggregate they are very useful to managing the code as the project becomes more complex. The fact that the platform enjoys broad academic and market support is an added bonus.  I may be biased only because I am happy using Eclipse as my Java IDE.

Since the parts come from many different vendors it is also a little confusing to get set up though.  I've used my notes to partially documented setting up a PHPEclipse Development environment here.  This information may be of interest to those wanting to create new Moodle modules.  It is probably too much for those wanting just to create a new theme.

Chris

In reply to Chris Luther

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I've been using Eclipse, and so far prefer it to the others.

The one thing that continually irriates me is that I can't seem to find a word-wrap setting. Do you know if I can get the editor to wrap lines?

mike

by Chris Luther -

The built-in text editor for Eclipse doesn't currently support word-wrap. This is a feature is planned to be released in version 2.0.  In the meantime you can turn on the horizontal scroll bar by getting under the covers and using SWT.H_SCROLL.

But you may be missing one of the strengths of Eclipse as a framework for tools.  If you don't like the built-in tools you can use any editor you want, that don't have to be Eclipse tools.  Eclipse tools have greater integration but non-eclipse tools can be effectively used too, within the Eclipse framework or as separate processes.  From the context menu you can select to open a file using associated applications configured within the Windows registry (on Windows PCs). You can also configure a file to automatically open with the alternative editor by selecting Workbench > Preferences and then File Associations under Workbench.   Associations can be configured via file name (a_special_file.xml") or by extension ("*.doc"). Eclipse will always remember the last editor used for that file.

Chris 
In reply to Chris Luther

by Scott Tearle -
I use phpEdit on windows.  The 0.8 version is a little buggy so I would try the 0.6 version first.  On linux I have been playing around with jedit.