My hosting is upgrading to MySQL 5, is my Moodle 1.5.4 site OK?

My hosting is upgrading to MySQL 5, is my Moodle 1.5.4 site OK?

by Jesse Thorstad -
Number of replies: 5
Just wondering...my host is upgrading mySQL to 5.0 (from 4.1.21). I am using Moodle 1.5.4 currently.

Will my moodle site find this upgrade acceptable and keep chugging along? Is there something extreme I should do (besides regular backups) to be prepared?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jesse
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesse Thorstad

Re: My hosting is upgrading to MySQL 5, is my Moodle 1.5.4 site OK?

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Jesse,

When our Moodle 1.5.4. was forced to co-exist with MySql 5.0.22, a number of glitches* appeared which could be repaired by nullifying the default value for all fields that had type 'text' in the database tables.

* Error message like "XXX has no default value".

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Jesse Thorstad -
Paul,

Many thanks for the heads-up on that! So, if I see similar symptoms, I should use phpMyAdmin and set text fields default value to NULL?

How often did you see these errors?

Again, many thanks!

Jesse

by James Dugal -
Interesting!  We upgraded from 4.1.10 to 5.0.22 (Solaris 8, self-compiled MySQL), also using Moodle 1.5.4+, and had no such difficulty.  I don't run the production machine with debug on; are you perhaps running with debug mode on, and seeing those msgs in the  Apache error log?

-- James

In reply to James Dugal

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi James,

No we got those error messages in normal view (and by turning debug on we found out where they came from)

Another error that we encountered, but for which I did not found an easy solution (until now) is that in new courses that start using graded activities the gradebook wishes to fill in 100 as weight while the weight column in MySql only accepts 99,99. I worked around this by inserting manually an entry into MySql for each course ID in which this problem occurs, but that was not ideal.

I just now found the answer here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=41501&parent=190748

Rgrds,
Paul.

by James Dugal -
Paul, thanks for that reference!  I've issued an ALTER command identical to the one used in the 1.6.2 install: ALTER TABLE moodle.mdl_grade_category CHANGE `weight` `weight` decimal(5,2) default '0.00';

--James