Incomplete backup but no error message

Incomplete backup but no error message

by Cathy McLelland -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,
I'm having a problem trying to back up courses on my Moodle installation. When I go through the course backup process, it indicates that it has completed successfully with no error messages. However, when I try to download the course zip, only part of the zip downloads e.g. in a course backup of 4mb, only 2mb is downloaded.

When I try to open the downloaded course zip I get an error message saying that the zip file is invalid or corrupted.

This error is only occurring with a few of my courses - the others can be backed up and restored without any difficulty. I've tried using both Winzip and 7-Zip but neither seem to work.

Could anyone shed any light on why this might be happening?

Thanks for your help,
Kathy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cathy McLelland

Re: Incomplete backup but no error message

by estevan veenstra -

I've had this problem too, and I think that there is an upload limit within moodle. My solution was to use an external FTP-program to place the 4Mb-zip in the folder where the incomplete 2Mb-zip was placed by moodle. Of course deleting the incomplete file first.

Estevan Veenstra 

In reply to estevan veenstra

by James Sangster -
Hey Estevan, I'm having the same problem and trying to use use your work-around. However, i can't seem to figure out where it's uploading these courses to in the moodle folder structure. I've looked everywhere and i can't find the file it uploaded. Can you give me a hint where it might be if I uploaded the file using the "restore" function from within the course?

Thanks.
In reply to Cathy McLelland

by Sean Keogh -
Check which version of PHP your server is running - an early PHP 5 version (5.0.4) had a problem where it truncated all large downloaded files to 2MB - this is fairly well documented here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=27848#131166

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Cathy McLelland -

Hi Sean,
Thanks for your help. I'll try updating our PHP version and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again,
Kathy