Moodle Treasure Hunt

Moodle Treasure Hunt

by Tan M -
Number of replies: 6

Hello!

I did some searching but couldn't find anything, so I thought I would ask...

Has anyone created a "Moodle Treasure Hunt" for new users to go through to get them used to the navigation and functionality of Moodle?  I know the features course exists (which is awesome by the way!) but has anyone created more of like a game, or a treasure hunt that makes use of the different features?

We were thinking of creating one for our users to get them experienced with how the LMS works before actually taking a course.  We thought it would be a fun way to achieve user buy-in on our new initiative.

Before re-inventing the wheel, I thought it best to ask if anyone had done anything similar and, if so, how the results were.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tan M

Re: Moodle Treasure Hunt

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Tan

We are also about to develop a 'practice' course for students prior to starting an actual course.

I would be interested to hear what others have done. 

Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Noel Chidwick -
We've created a simple course called 'The Fire Balloon,' which we allow anyone to explore. This, we reckon, is a good way for potential students to get a taste for what it is like to take a course through Moodle.

Every so often I clear it out of past logins and refresh it. Mind, you, it is probably needing a good overhaul now!

Feel free to pop in and take a look:

The Fire Balloon at the New Curiosity Shop

Cheers

Noel

In reply to Noel Chidwick

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Noel!

I liked that very much.  How did you create the welcome for visitors?  Was it a SCORM package?  I couldn't tell.  It didn't look like a "lesson" or a "book" from the modules I have seen previously.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Noel Chidwick -
Thanks for your kind words.

The materials were created in Dreamweaver - I came up with that approach well before I saw the book module!

In reply to Tan M

by Heather P -
Hi

we have three servers with moodle on and about 18 instances of Moodle. We have 1 person 'looking after' all these moodles. Server Maintenance (not including the actual install of Moodle) , e.g. windows updates, backups etc. is done by the central IT team.
2 of the Moodles have an additional Administrator who is also a tutor. All of the remaining moodles are administrated by the 1 person looking after them. There are an additional 2 admin accounts on all the moodles for unexpected occaisions or holidays or whatever.
This same 1 person also does inductions for learners and development for staff. Although many staff now do their own learner inductions. There is also 1 other person who actively does staff development.
Regards
Heather
In reply to Tan M

by Stanley Frielick -
hi Tan

this is a great idea.  We have done something that has a similar theme to a 'treasure hunt' - although we have used the metaphor of a computer game with different levels.  This metaphor is the basis for the structure of the Certificate in e-Learning Design and Development (CeLDD) which is now available as an online qualification in e-learning.

CeLDD is oriented towards Moodle - there are modules in CeLDD that cover the basics of using Moodle for designing and teaching e-learning courses.  We don't specifically have a 'treasure hunt' (although we have used the glossary tool in this kind of way to create fun interaction).  The feedback from the trial version is very encouraging - and I think that more courses will start using gaming as basis since much of learning is moving in that direction...

You can check out some basic info about CeLDD here  and can register your interest if you want to find out more.

cheers
Stanley