What all does the Elgg integration do?

What all does the Elgg integration do?

by Mark Penny -
Number of replies: 11
I've got the Elgg integration working as advertised.

I'm afraid it doesn't do quite what I'd expected. I'd envisioned being able to export anything I wanted as blog posts. You know, students could run a course blog, get corrections or other feedback, export corrected or successful course posts to the school blog. (Hmm. I wonder if RSS would work for that in some way.)

What it does do is export uploaded files (and only uploaded files) from assignments (and only from assignments).

That's nothing to sneeze at.

Oh, and you get this cool display of your last Elgg entry in your eportfolio menu in the course.

But I do wonder what the point of all this trouble was. It's quicker (much quicker) to upload your files from your hard drive right into your file repository in Elgg. The integration adds a few steps. Quite a few steps. Something like ten. (Let's see:

1. Export files
  2. Check file to export
  3. Export now
  4. Export now
  5. Continue
  6. Edit
  7. Change access restrictions
  8. Save
Okay, only eight. But this is after you've

1. logged in once through the integration to set up your Elgg account to receive the files from Moodle,
  2. changed the access restrictions on your integration folder,
  3. and changed the access restrictions on your course folder within the integration folder.

Make that eleven if you add the three one-time steps. And you don't get grades or comments along with the file.

And that's what I mean. No value added. Just a file. And a lot more clicking.

I don't mean any of this in a snarky, whiny way. No doubt there are people who see great benefits in the integration. I'm no expert on eportfolios. And it is always possible that I've missed something (like I missed the lines at the end of the discussion in Eduforge about what exactly the integration does).

I'd be happy to be enlightened. Really. Bring it on. A lot of hard work went into the integration. I must be missing something!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Penny

Re: What all does the Elgg integration do?

by Mark Penny -
Sorry for the lone parenthesis (?).

The display in the eportfolio menu seems to be drawn from the most recent first comment on a public post in the associated Elgg installation (probably by a participant in the course).

Can the code be altered to include all recent posts and comments by all participants of the course? This would be a useful feature from my perspective. Much more useful than file exports.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Penny Leach -
The eportfolio block displays an rss version of the activity page in elgg, which is comments on your blog posts in elgg, or comments on posts that you've marked as interesting.

Elgg doesn't know what courses you're enrolled in, in your moodle. You could extend it to show public posts and comments by users who have come from the same moodle as you. That would be an option you could add to the blocks config page. Again, I'm happy to merge good patches that you have for enhancements to the moodle/elgg integration. smile
In reply to Penny Leach

by Mark Penny -
Yeah, I started to suspect that (rss and activity).

As I say, I'm not a programmer, so I have to ask about these things.

The filtering function sounds like what I thought eportfolio was perhaps doing. Could be a tricky bit of coding for a peasant like me.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Penny Leach -
Mark, the main point of the integration between moodle and elgg is for authentication. Depending on your actual usage scenarios, moodle and elgg are quite orthogonal.

I know moodle is moving more into the social sphere with blogs, but currently elgg is meant to be a student centered space, while moodle fulfils the actual elearning component.

Also, don't forget that you can have elgg as an overarching social system that more than one moodle can plug into. This means you could have an elgg that gets users fed to it from all moodles within a school district.

In keeping moodle and elgg as separate spaces, this also means that accounts, once created in elgg, can be kept across any number of moodles, and for a longer period than just attendance at once school, they can span a student's whole academic life.

On to the actual integration.

Yes, the file sharing is quite basic at the moment. However, it was written in such a way that it's just a matter of adding a couple of module functions to whatever activity module you want, to allow it to expose files to export. If you have good ideas about how you'd like it extended, feel free to write a patch smile

Also it's worth mentioning that there's a whole raft of issues here around plagiarism. Currently with the assignment module integration, you can only export files once the assignment is closed, and the submission has been graded. Even so, many institutions will choose not to use it because they reuse assessment structure across semesters/years/class intakes.

The integration may not fit your usage scenario. That's ok, part of the whole thing with using open source is that you have the choice. You can use parts of it you find useful, or not if you want. It certainly fits our scenario in NZ for the NZVLE project, where we have a number of tertiaries (so far I think there's just tertiaries, but potentially highschools too) who have their distinct moodles plugging into it for authentication and user accounts. As users go through their school/university life (and transfer between different institutions), they can use the same account at the same external portfolio system that isn't aligned with their institution.

Maybe that clears up some of the expectations. At any rate, in the spirit of open source and collaboration, if you have programmer resource available to add functionality to the moodle/elgg integration, the code is there in contrib as a starting point smile
In reply to Penny Leach

by Mark Penny -
That's a headful.

Challenge accepted, but don't hold your breath. One of my projects one of these days will be to learn php and all that so I can contribute instead of complain. As it is, I've come a long way just to be able to tweak some config files and correct a few lang files.

I sort of half see what you're getting at with authentication. Heck, that might be a need for me one day.

I like the idea of plugging in other modules, especially blogs and forums. I wish I were up to helping more. So far I've got nothing but ideas.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Mark Penny -
Ohhhh! I hadn't noticed that! If you click on a link to your Elgg in the eportfolio menu, you get logged in automatically. That is handy.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Martín Langhoff -

Hi Mark,

I have to confess... it's a bit hard to put all our work up for people to use for free, and then be asked "is that all?". So I don't know really what the answer to your question is.

However, I've worked with Penny in the design and implementation of Elgg/Moodle integration. We did quite a bit of work in the plan and design, and we had goals... and constraints. Here's a bit of a list:

• Single Sign On. It works. (Niiiiice, I say).
  • Signup to Elgg can be restricted to come from Moodle. This is really important for institutions that want to run Elgg as a portfolio or a social environment. Elgg is under their control in terms of access and account creation can be tied to existing and valid Moodle accounts. Assumes valid students have Moodle accounts somehow (via a suitable auth plugin, for instance).
  • A powerful non-course-centric blog that is more Blog-like.
  • In general, an environment that is themed separately from Moodle to show it is a clearly different "social space".
  • One Elgg can be used as a service for many different Moodle installs. This is what runs behind http://myportfolio.ac.nz/ . In this context, Elgg is on one hand portfolio, and on the other social space. Arguably the portfolio is nascent, but the social space is very developed (that's what Elgg is).
  • Some limited integration to transfer your content around. A bit more about why it is limited...
  • It raises concerns: as Penny mentions above, teachers will want to control publishing of stuff submitted to courses.
  • It is hard to transfer content "transparently" across servers. And we need it to run across servers. We got this sorted out well (sftp, keys, the whole thing), but it took quite a bit of work.
  • It is hard to transfer module-specific content. A lot of stuff in Moodle is "content" that only the moodle module knows how to lay out. How do you export your quiz answers without the quiz engine? Wiki pages without the Wiki engine? All of this needs quite a bit of coding per module.

As you can see, resources are scarce -- we are under pressure to achieve a lot with very little time. So we are forced to be ruthless in our decisionmaking here.

Our Elgg-Moodle work hasn't finished, not has our interest and involvement in portfolios and social spaces. We keep working on it, but bear in mind it is not a mature space like LMSs (not everyone agrees what a portfolio is) and Elgg is not as mature as Moodle is.

It's all evolving, and we keep working. And we want feedback -- so thanks for your comments.

However... there is a lot of noise and we have to focus on the useful feedback. Armchair criticism scores much, much lower than practical usage stuff we can fix in small steps.

Come tell us something like "I am using it with a bunch of (teachers/students/researchers/hamsters) and we found feature X useful and feature Y not so practical". Or stuff like "specific bug Z gets really in the way".

Helping is not just for programmers -- it is for people ready to get involved and spend quality time working things out. It not trivial to provide constructive criticism that is practical and useful to us. We work in short, simple steps, aiming for concrete goals; we release early and often.

This is the first of what I hope will be a long series of "release early and often" Moodle/Elgg combos. It works and achieves all the (humble) goals we set out to meet. Colour me satisfied with that at least big grin

But I agree with you, there's a lot more to be done, and there's room for people to help shape where this goes.

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Mark Penny -
Martin and Penny,

I apologize for coming across as a critic. You and the other developers have done a lot of hard work for nothing but the love of it and the desire to give--and I appreciate both the intent and the results.

I like to say that I don't give excuses, just explanations. So let me explain.

My attitude, which I admit was inconsiderate and undeserved, arose from the fact that I got involved in Elgg before I got involved in Moodle. I came from the perspective of enhancing Elgg rather than complementing Moodle. The integration was much touted over on elgg.net and, in my admitted ignorance of eportfolios and lmss, I developed a picture of what to expect that overreached the current state of development.

As I mentioned to Penny, I know just a dabbling little bit about what goes on behind the interface, so I am apt to expect more than I might if I knew how things worked. I have found a few php reference resources on the Internet and have begun studying them. I want to be a developer, too. Penny's challenge in that regard was more than fair. I have big plans, as you might imagine, but I'll start small and, if you guys don't leave me too far behind, cut some of my later teeth on your project. I'm particularly interested in having in-course blog posts export to Elgg.

I'd like to learn more about the restricted signup. How does that work? And how do you link more than one moodle with a single elgg?

Again, my apologies to both you and Penny (and any other developers I've offended). I really do appreciate the work and the results. I just have to get a clearer picture of the work involved and the kinds of results that are reasonable to expect. This discussion has helped a lot in that vein.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Martín Langhoff -

I apologize for coming across as a critic.

No problem with criticism. And I do take your point about it taking a lot of steps to transfer things across. Simplifying that is hard and is work that needs to be done for each moodle module as things stand. But hey, what's life without a challenge?

I'd like to learn more about the restricted signup. How does that work?

I think it's controlled from config.php. When you are using the Elgg-Moodle integration you can set Elgg to not take any account creations other than those coming from Moodle-authenticated users.

And how do you link more than one moodle with a single elgg?

Look at the config.php array of lmshosts. Actually, Luke (another catalyster) has put together a patch that streamlines acct creation when it's a 1-to-1 relationship.

And... no worries! It takes a thick skin to play this game wink

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Juan González -
Hi, I'm trying to do some Moodle-Elgg integration and I found several posts about the subject like this one. Sadly all of them refer to an old version of elgg and I also have a few doubts with it.

Do you have some updated information on how to do this??

Thank you so much for your time and help.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Penny

by sunil saini -
Hi, I'm trying to do some Moodle-Elgg integration and I found several posts about the subject .can someone tell me the proper way to do integration

Do you have some updated information on how to do this??

Thank you so much for your time and help.